Lightning

Building A PowerCooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001 | 12:19 AM
|
Building A PowerCooler

I'm planning on making my own power-cooler b/c i can't afford to buy JL's and it doesn't seem too hard to make one. I might bed mount it bc i can't make a small enough one to fit in the battery's spot. Anyways onto the question. Does JL's "SuperCooler" (the one that mounts in the bed) require a new intercooler pump? I mean with the added hosing the flow-rate seems as though it might start to lag. If so does anyone have a recomendation? If not then cool

Mark

Old 10-29-2001 | 12:39 AM
Mark,

I heard that it doesn't require a larger pump. The stock one will work fine.

Old 10-29-2001 | 12:59 AM
Cool

Spade$,
I am not aware of the architecture of anyone else’s cooler but if you are going to use a remote location you should look at the idea of using coiled tubing as a means of containing the actual intercooler fluid. This tubing can be fitted to a rectangular or cylindrical container and you can thereby maintain the integrity of the actual coolant (antifreeze or Redline water wetter) and not have to change of remove it since a second medium is now a cheap auxiliary coolant (ice water). Aluminum or copper tubing will work very well and both have good heat dispersion properties. You should then run a second pump just do not increase the flow rate. One last item the old Moon Fuel tank works very well and it come in several sizes and they will even sell it to you unassembled.

Old 10-29-2001 | 03:47 AM
|
thanks

2_fast... it's good to hear from you again buddy. thanks for the tips. ill keep them close. Babolt I'm not totally sure what kind of casing im going to use for the box but it's going to be something that insolates well on the bottom and lets heat out the top (via a little spring loaded hole) something like a regualar ice-chest (so the ice water lasts longer) but a little less prone to melting it's as for losing heat... im going to buy one or two tranny radiators and link them in the box... here ill draw a pic. I hope that yall can point out anything that might be wrong with my mind's workings. Thank you all again.

Old 10-29-2001 | 04:07 AM
|
ok aol is being dumb ill try attaching that pic again... i hope please ignor that "unregistered" thing.. it's the graphics converter that i use... it's really getting to me

Old 10-29-2001 | 04:46 AM
good idea Looks like you are onto something here

Old 10-29-2001 | 12:10 PM
Lightbulb

35'-40' of tubing will work as well as the 2 tranny coolers and may be cheaper. I built the smaller underhood one with 2 heatercores that worked as well as the tubing but more expensive so when I built the double capacity one(no, no extra pump is needed) that goes in the bed I used 5/8" O.D. tubing in a 3/16" thick aluminum box. It takes 2 gallons of ice water and about 20lbs of ice to fill it but with this one there is still a few ice cubes and cold water in it after your 1/4 mile pass. The smaller one for under the hood doesn't have any ice and the water is luke cool after your pass. If I can help in your project shoot me an e-mail.

mcklein1@home.com

Old 10-29-2001 | 12:23 PM
Lightbulb

A pic of it. Excuse the grainy quality as I don't have a digital camera so I grab a frame from my camcorder.

Quick Reply: Building A PowerCooler