Lightning

Track results ---modded box vs 12" conical

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2001 | 01:08 AM
|
Lightbulb Track results ---modded box vs 12" conical

Was able to get one run on each. After I saw my conical results I went back to the modded stock box. Each of the testing runs were made with the L at the same engine temp. The ambient temp and track stayed the same. Everyone has there own conclusions to what they like. My modded K&N filtered 01 box has a 4" hose in the bottom of the plenum that goes to a 6"x4" pickup just under the bumper. I posted pictures awhile back so they are out there. Here are my numbers...
modded stock.........12" conical
60' 1.86......................1.85
1/8 8.120...................8.182
mph 85.56..................85.05
1/4 12.72..................12.81
mph 106.19................105.63

Last edited by JeffsLightning; 11-04-2001 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-04-2001 | 02:06 AM
cool thanks for the test results!

Old 11-04-2001 | 05:53 PM
|
ttt for BFB because he is retarded..

Old 11-04-2001 | 05:56 PM
BfB
Banned For Rules Violations
Originally posted by JeffsLightning
ttt for BFB because he is retarded..
I can't help it that you were partly responsible for conceiving me, LoL!

BfB

Old 11-04-2001 | 06:14 PM
Thumbs up

Yup, I've been using the S&B Powerstack filters for years. Our original PSP intake kit was the first Lightning filter kit to use it, then the other vendors saw the advantage of the powerstack filter and started using it as well.

Old 11-04-2001 | 06:19 PM
Thumbs up Another Beliver

Jeff,
My point exactly,i have done this very same test several different times with the stock K/N modded airbox always outperforming at least 1 tenth faster every time! People want to draw there own conclusions on this and usually ends in a standoff debate which i will not get involved in anymore.I know 2 guys that were big belivers in the open filter until i convinced them to try my way at the track and both now are running the same setup as me!

Matt

Old 11-04-2001 | 06:35 PM
HR,

Got any pics? I'm probably gonna do the same thing since I've got a panel filter coming. I "rigged" a 6" cone filter and I would really like to clean up the engine compartment.

Old 11-04-2001 | 06:55 PM
LOL...................

Originally posted by CornerCarver
HR,

Got any pics? I'm probably gonna do the same thing since I've got a panel filter coming. I "rigged" a 6" cone filter and I would really like to clean up the engine compartment.
git rid of that heavy IBM stuff an' git some lightweight, high performance JL stuff, 'n then when you learn how to drive----you might git in the 12s???

(Sorry, Paul, it was just too tempting!)

Dan

Old 11-04-2001 | 07:06 PM
Has anyone tried this comparison with the JL ram air? 12 inch filter vs. stock box (not modded) with K&N replacement. I'd like to know if the results would be similar.

Old 11-04-2001 | 07:20 PM
Hey LIGHTNINROD,

Takes a better driver to use LESS MODS and RUN FASTER.*To be proven next Saturday*LOL

Built by Ford
Prepped by IBM
Driven like HELL

Old 11-05-2001 | 09:17 AM
JeffsLightning - hey I just did my airbox mod similar to yours this weekend, except I used 2 1/2" hoses going into the stock airbox w/ a K&N. Anyway have you had an engine light pop on since you did that mod?

I did mine last night and drove around, then it rained on the way home. So I got home and checked everything out, no water in the airbox and no leaves or any debris in there after about 20 miles of driving. Well going to work this morning my engine stalls at a light and I get a check engine light, but when you do the test with the mileage gauge no error codes pop-up. PITA!

Old 11-05-2001 | 09:48 AM
BfB
Banned For Rules Violations
Re: Track results ---modded box vs 12" conical

Originally posted by JeffsLightning
Was able to get one run on each. After I saw my conical results I went back to the modded stock box.
Jeff, which dealer's 12" conical filter you were using? Does this filter setup replace the stock tubing in anyway, and is there a shield?

Also, I gained .1somethinganother at the track by taking my K&N filter out all the way and just running through the stock airbox. This was in cool weather (50ish to 60ish, though). Ivan (usahooters) did as well.

Remember, on the dyno I barely gained anything comparing filters. Proof in point, as always said, that there isn't enough airflow on the dyno to take advantage of intake mods. Here's the link again w/ the comparo on the dyno:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ighlight=worth

BfB

Old 11-05-2001 | 09:49 AM
|
No captain I have not had any service engine soon (SES) lights. It might just be a quirk. I would reset the pcm and see if it comes back. One thing that I do though is since I used a 6"x4" pickup under the front bumper a plastic coffee can lid fits perfectly over the 6" hole. This way whenever there is bad weather i.e. rain or snow I can put the cover on the inlet easy enough. hope this helps...Jeff

Old 11-05-2001 | 09:57 AM
|
Re: Re: Track results ---modded box vs 12" conical

Originally posted by BfB

Jeff, which dealer's 12" conical filter you were using? Does this filter setup replace the stock tubing in anyway, and is there a shield?

Also, I gained .1somethinganother at the track by taking my K&N filter out all the way and just running through the stock airbox. This was in cool weather (50ish to 60ish, though). Ivan (usahooters) did as well.

I did the test with a JDM filter setup that has an adapter that bolts right to the maf. It has inverted filter pleats in the end of the conical. Maybe next time at the track I'll just pop out the K&N panel and see if I gain a tenth also.

Old 11-05-2001 | 10:02 AM
MAKE SURE YOUR AIR TEMP SENSOR IS PLUGGED INTO THE AIRBOX

Quick Reply: Track results ---modded box vs 12" conical