Lightning

Way off topic!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2001 | 01:23 PM
|
Way off topic!

Anybody see the fight last night. "Kinda short, but, damned exciting. Sorry if you guys don't like boxing. I saw this article, and wanted to see if anybody gets the same reaction I did

Tszyu Shocks Judah in 2nd Round
By TIM DAHLBERG AP Sports Writer
published 12:39 AM - NOVEMBER 04, 2001 Eastern Time

All Kostya Tszyu needed was one stunning right hand to show he was the best 140-pound fighter in the world.

It came with one second left in the second round Saturday night, sending Zab Judah to the canvas and making Tszyu the undisputed 140-pound champion when referee Jay Nady stopped the fight seconds later.

Judah disagreed violently, but referee Nady had the last word, bringing a sudden end to the title unification fight and giving the 32-year-old Tszyu all three major titles.

"This was my destiny," Tszyu said. "I'm a part of history now."

Judah got up immediately after the knockdown, but staggered and fell to the canvas again. He was getting up and appeared that he could still fight but Nady waved the bout to a close.

Judah had to be restrained by his father, Yoel, and his handlers from going after Nady, while Tszyu celebrated in his corner. Judah appeared to be trying to throw a punch at the referee.

"Why did he stop the fight? He didn't even give me a count," Judah said. "This was wrong."

Tszyu, a former Russian amateur star who lives in Australia, lost the first round but was winning the second when he hit Judah with a right hand late in the round that sent him toward a neutral corner.

Tszyu followed him and landed a crunching right hand that put Judah on his rear end on the canvas. Judah got up right away and was talking to Nady, but staggered across the ring and fell to the canvas again.

"I did not hit him with my power punch," Tszyu said. "It was good accuracy at exactly the right time."

When he got up, Nady was waving the fight to a close at 2:59 of the second round. The referee never started a count.

"I was concerned he might get hurt after getting hit with a very powerful punch that appeared to render him momentarily unconscious," Nady said.

It was a shocking end to a fight that Judah appeared to be on his way to dominating in the first round.

Judah, who held the IBF title, was a 21/2-1 favorite and rocked Tszyu in the first round with a good left hand and a series of punches to the head.

The second round was different, though, with Tszyu, the WBA and WBC champion, managing to cut the ring off against the flashy southpaw, though he landed few effective blows until the knockdown.

Tszyu, 140, earned $1.5 million, the biggest purse of his career. Judah, 1391/2, was paid $1 million.

There was no question about Judah's talent before the fight, but there was some about the quality of his opponents. Moving up to fight Tszyu, a seasoned champion, was a big step in his career and hopes of becoming a big name champion.

Sometimes I wonder if the sports writers are watching the same fight that I did. The ref had a four count on Judah while he was staggering drunkenly around the ring trying to show he wasn't hurt. HeHe. Betweeen the second time he fell from the same punch, and the time he got back up (still staggering and out of it) there was plenty of time for at least a 10 count. The ref stopped the fight in order to prevent a second concussion which can be very serious. In short, Judah lives on to fight again, and maybe learned to get a handle on the gutter rat antics and get more serious both in and out of the ring. He has the potential to be a very good fighter in the future. Maybe even great.

Old 11-04-2001 | 06:30 PM
|
Old 11-04-2001 | 09:11 PM
I wanted to watch that fight! That was supposed to be one of the best Non-PayPerView fights this year. Did they show it on HBO? Damn I forgot all about it!!

Old 11-04-2001 | 09:53 PM
|
Showtime.

Old 11-04-2001 | 10:16 PM
well um, anyone see the Ole Miss football game?? 7 over times! longest game in history!

Quick Reply: Way off topic!