Lightning

Question about JL Super-Cooler...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2001, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about JL Super-Cooler...

I want to get JL's Powercooler...but I don't want to have to relocate my battery. So when JL announced the Supercooler he was planning a few months ago, I was very excited. I just went to his webpage, and he has a pic of it there:

http://www.johnnylightningperf.com/m...p?intProdID=19

...but to me it looks like there are actually two cooler boxes in that pic! Does the Supercooler actually have two reservoirs like in the pic, or is that two different views of it, or...? Basically, I'm lost.

If anyone has one/has seen one, can they clarify this for me. Also, if anyone has pics of one installed, that would be even better.

Thanks guys.

Later...

GK

Old 11-08-2001, 04:43 PM
Think he's showing you the Super Cooler and the Power Cooler both so you can see the differnce in the size.

Old 11-08-2001, 06:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

HI!... Is the JL SUPERCOOLER/POWERCOOLER just basicly a small fuel cell with a large amount of coiled up -8 or -10 aluminum tubing (FUEL LINE) coiled up inside? That's what it looks like to me. Does the SUPERCOOLER have foam in it? I'm just curious on what I'd be buying. How many gallon does the smaller one hold?(battery tray mount) Just curious. Thanks.

Last edited by Neal; 11-08-2001 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-08-2001, 06:11 PM
I have one at home right now waiting to be installed. However first I'm going to have a bracket setup made that'll bolt onto the existing bed tie down holes so I don't have to drill extra mounting holes in the bed. Then the power cooler will bolt to this bracket.

Mine is still in the box, so I haven't really spent any time studying it, but I think it's basically an aluminum box with welded in aluminum tubing (alot of it) coiled up in there. the outside of the box is insulated with a thick black adhesive backed foam. I don't think that there is any foam on the inside walls, pretty sure it's just bare metal.

like I said I haven't installed it yet, so I'm not sure about the capacities.

later,
chris

Old 11-09-2001, 04:30 PM
superfords: Couple quick questions for ya-

(1) Similar to you, I like the idea of bolting the Supercooler down to where the tie down loops are...but I guess I just assumed JL would have figured that into this design to begin with. Where does he want it bolted down to, and at how many points? (which is another thing- I think you'd need at least two mounting spots that are spaced apart from each other to keep it stable and in place (taking turns etc).

(2) Where does the inlet and outlet tubing run with respect to the bed? Is any drilling required there? Do you see any problems with having a hard plastic bedliner and still using this system?

Thanks, Later...

Garrett

Last edited by MXRacer; 11-09-2001 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-09-2001, 09:08 PM
Cool

HI!... Can someone here please post a few pics of the JL "POWERCOOLER" installed in their trucks. Thanks.

Old 11-09-2001, 09:19 PM
Kinda sux that you have to make your own bracket. Was kinda leaning toward buying a PowerCooler because, like MXRacer said, I assumed it would be figured into the design and I wouldn't have to build my own. I have already put together my own version of the same thing using 4 gallon fual cell only without the coiled tubing inside. I just have to build a bracket to mount it to the tie down in the bed. The hoses will run through the hole where the plug is at the front of the bed.

Now if I could just find the time to work on it.

Old 11-09-2001, 10:28 PM
Hey FordBoy,

That is exactly what I did. Just installed it today. I attached mine to the tie down location also. I went to Builders Square and bought some 1.5"x1.5"x4' long alumn. L bracket and mounted the fuel cell to that and then to the bed. Worked great and did not have to drill any holes.

Jer

Old 11-09-2001, 10:39 PM
Thumbs up

99SVT,

If you could send me a pic of it that would be great. I bought a couple of pieces of 3/4" X 3/4" square tubing. I was going to build a bracket out of that and paint it black, but it will require measuring, cutting, welding etc. Not really to big of a deal just time consuming. I sure would like to finally get this thing installed and see how much of a diiference it makes.

ASVTFordBoy@att.net

Old 11-11-2001, 11:14 PM
Cool

HI!... C'mon guys! I can't beleive that no one has a pic of a JL POWERCOOLER in their engine compartment?

Old 11-12-2001, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by MXRacer
superfords: Couple quick questions for ya-

(1) Similar to you, I like the idea of bolting the Supercooler down to where the tie down loops are...but I guess I just assumed JL would have figured that into this design to begin with. Where does he want it bolted down to, and at how many points? (which is another thing- I think you'd need at least two mounting spots that are spaced apart from each other to keep it stable and in place (taking turns etc).

(2) Where does the inlet and outlet tubing run with respect to the bed? Is any drilling required there? Do you see any problems with having a hard plastic bedliner and still using this system?

Thanks, Later...

Garrett
First of all, you don't HAVE TO make a bracket, I just thought it'd be nice not to drill any extra holes in my truck.

The "super cooler" is pretty darn big, and with it full of ice-water, it's got to weigh quite a bit. so you can't just have some rinky-dink setup.

It is designed to be bolted directly down to the bed of the truck. It has tabs welded onto it for this purpose. I believe that there are TWO tabs with bolt holes, but there may be more.

again, mine is sitting in a box in my hallway, I havent' put it in yet. I'd break open the box right now and check to be certain, but my old lady (just kidding honey, she's only 23) is sleeping and I don't want to make a bunch of racket since it's after midnight.

as far as running the hoses, there are two rubber plugs at the front of your bed. you can pop either of the plugs out (most likely the passenger side) and run the hoses through there.

as far as the hard bed liner (or bed rug for that matter) you'll have to cut a hole in the liner where the rubber plug in the bed is, or a slit if you have a bedrug. the rubber plug and the hole in the factory bed that it fills, is shaped like an oval and is several inches long, so both hoses fit nicely through it.

I hope this helps, I'll try to post some pics if I ever get the bracket made and the power cooler mounted.

later,
chris haynie

Old 11-13-2001, 05:28 AM
Try this link. Pics were taken by Logan from the Talon group at the Dyno Day. Scroll down to a Red L and click on it to enlarge. Not sure who's truck or cooler it is, but maybe it will help. Scroll on down and you just might see a pic of ole Doug, aka.. Silver_2000 He might be able to help with some info too because I think he was there. http://www.ccolon.com/dyno1103
- Rick -

Old 11-13-2001, 07:11 AM
Anyone have a pic looking into the cooler through the fuel cell opening? Also would be interested in seeing a pic of the entire kit, before installation so that I can get an idea as to what is involved.

Thanks
Jeff

Quick Reply: Question about JL Super-Cooler...