Lightning

Which aftermarket muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey LTNBOLT, nice webpage!

I was really interested in the way you cut openings in the bottom of your factory airbox. I had no idea it would make that much of a difference in the amount of boost! You're right, I have never seen my boost gage above 8 psi. How much of a power increase do you think that mod is worth? The only thing I have done install a K&N panel filter.

Thanks!

Old 11-20-2001, 10:42 AM
LTNBOLT: How is the exhaust sound at crusing speed?

Just want to say that I have put flowmaster mufflers on quite a few cars and they sound great. So when it came down to change the exhaust on the 99 I put 2 2 chamber 3" in/out Flowmasters. At idle to about 1/2 throttle I thought they sounded very good (Flowmaster sound) after that they start to sound like *****. Now this is just my opinion but I am now looking for an exhaust for my 01 and will not be installing Flowmasters.

Also something I noticed on my 99 is the exhaust was not stock when I purchased it (purchased used with 3,500 miles). They replaced the exhaust with 2 small glasspacks. Had to replace them because I was getting a headache. But when I went from this setup to the Flowmasters it was not as responsive. I am very interested in 2 14416 but am afraid that this setup will be too loud. Can anyone (Beefcake) post a normal from a stop to 60 cruse. I already heard the WOT that Beefcake put up and like that. But would like to know if I an live with this at the L is my daily driver.

Old 11-20-2001, 11:27 AM
Banned
tommylightning - I don't have a sound file of a 0 t0 60 normal takeoff but the 14416 setup isn't bad at all (IMHO). It's louder than the 12468 but not as loud as straight pipes. There are plenty of cops around here and I haven't seen one even give a second look due to the exhaust.

Old 11-20-2001, 04:39 PM
Hello,

Listen, which ever muffler you change to (they are all good)
MAKE SURE it's a dual inlet/dual outlet muffler! The muffler serves double duty on the L. . .it's also a crossover/pressure balance point in the exhaust. By evening the pressure between the pipes, you won't get the boost loss/lack of performance/pressure differentials that alot of people claim they get when they change their exhausts. I put on a three-chamber flowmaster and picked up 12 hp./15 lb/ft. at the wheels. If you don't want a muffler that huge in size, then at the very least install a crossover RIGHT IN FRONT of the mufflers. It really helps.

Good luck!

Old 11-21-2001, 02:04 PM
What kind of gain can be expected from cutting holes in the bottom of the factory air box?

I am thinking of doing that this w/e if it is worth the trouble.

Old 11-21-2001, 02:34 PM
I have a Flowmaster 40 on my truck. Although is sounds good at anything other than 65mph, that drone is horrible. If I had it to do over again I would get a Magnaflow.

The only reason I did the FM40 was that it was cheap (about $120), and I wanted something right then.

Old 11-21-2001, 04:49 PM
Not that I haven't already written this post 20 times...

...But you might want to also atleast consider going with dual Ravin Z-33's (single in, single out). I've heard the 12568 Magnaflow (the quieter of the two models), and it was just that...to quiet for me. Supposedly some other L owners that previously ran Flowmasters switched to Ravin's and said they liked them better. I'm happy with the way my Ravins have "performed" after the past 6 months and 20,000 miles of listening to them. They have a deep rumble around town, they're Nascar L-O-U-D at WOT, but they're very manageable at cruising and highway speeds...

However, if you already have the first four mods every L owner should buy (chip, filter, pulley and shift kit), and you don't mind spending upwards of $700 on something thats only gonna make your truck sound good (okay, great) and not get noticably faster in the process- then buy the Bassani.

Either way you go will sound wayyyyyy better than stock.

Good Luck with whatever you choose.

Oh yeah, one last thing...

THE most important piece of exhaust advice that everyone should take is make suuuuuure you hear whatever exhaust you're interested on someone else's Lightning before you drop the coin on a system for yourself. Trust me on this, mannnnn.

Later...

GK

Last edited by MXRacer; 11-21-2001 at 05:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Which aftermarket muffler?