Lightning

Need front stock springs(cutting)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need front stock springs(cutting)

Has anyone cut there factory front springs??? How did it ride?? I was looking for a full 3" drop in the front and bell tech does not offer it so y waste my $$ for them if they dont serve my purpose. I just saw an L dropped w/the bell tech kit set on 2-3 and I want mine just a little bit lower so the tires are just in the well.
So if anybody has any info on this let me know or if anybody is willing to part w/ there stock shocks or some kind of front shock that will fit just so I can experiment also let me know.
Thanks
Smok'n L

Old 11-19-2001, 09:39 PM
Thumbs down

Cutting springs causes alot of problems. Screws up millions of dollars worth of research by ford to make a great handling truck. Go with a quality kit, or just put on bigger tires to fill the well.

Just my opinion.

Old 11-19-2001, 10:09 PM
NOSTROMO
Don't butcher your springs.....you will be very dissapointed when you ruin your suspension components not to mention a safety issue. Be patient, other L owners on here have done numerous drops already and I'm sure somebody has accomplished the task of achieving 3 in the front. They might even give you helpful advice as to what else you might need or problems encountered.

Do a search or post a subject on 3 inch drops.

Anthony

Old 11-19-2001, 11:31 PM
Smokin, have a pair of new factory cut springs I will sell you cheap, I sold the L with the Bel Techs. It sat about an inch over with my moddified factory ones. Let me know

Old 11-20-2001, 10:05 AM
Posting Rights Suspended
That type of drop really depends on what your truck is used for.

I've cut the factory springs for the full 3" and it looks great. It was just an experiment that turned out OK.

If I were to do it over again, I'd cut the BellTechs first. The stock springs are firm but not that bad. The BellTechs at 2" drop was too soft. One ring off of them would have been perfect, IMO.
Full 3" could be achieved and certainly more comfortable than the stock cut springs, IMO.

Neither is recommended for country driving....

Old 11-20-2001, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the response guys they are all greatly appreciated!!! Matbe Ill have to find an alternate route to achieve the 3" in the front.

Leen, will those factory cut springs give me the 3" I need. I might want them just to experiment to see how the truck might handle through these potholed streets. And of course look!!

Tampa, The drop in the pic is 3" in front w/the factory springs or the bell techs. How does it drive w/the factory ones. Im looking for sorta stiff, I want the front end to not move if U R trying to shake it by hand. Does it bounce around??? What if I didnt cut them, what if I heated them up and compressed them

Thanks
Smok'n L

Old 11-20-2001, 08:15 PM
Posting Rights Suspended
Oh, somebody's just about to let loose on you spouting words like, "spring rate & geometry, etc."

The picture is with stock springs cut. It doesn't bounce at all. Seems to be a problem. Really, it's not that bad. I've taken other Lightning owners for rides and none complain. Just takes a little getting used to.

Rich

Old 11-20-2001, 08:23 PM
thats what I say about geometry!! Tampa, do U by any chance have any pics of the cut springs installed?? How many coils did u have to cut off?? And the rear is on the 4" setting right
Thanks
Smok'n L

Old 11-20-2001, 09:18 PM
Posting Rights Suspended
Stock springs are 2 full rings shorter than stock. I still think the ride would be better by cutting BellTech springs by one ring.

You're right about the back. A full 4"(hangers and shackles). About as low as you can go without a C-notch.

Rich

Old 11-21-2001, 12:39 AM
My front springs were cut as well for my drop. Nothing so dramatic as 4", but I believe around 2" of vertical length. The rest of my ~4" dropped front is from a custom-modified stock lower A-arm.

My truck's ride has not suffered for it, and with the new KYB shocks it feels a lot better than it did stock. I guess bottom line is not to try cutting springs unless you know what you're doing.

~rick

Old 11-21-2001, 05:42 PM
Well does anybody have any bell tech springs they want to get rid of????
Leensvt give me a price on those stock springs u got, and I think I spoke w/ U a while back about some billet grille inserts that were smashed up??? I need them for my hood?
OK who is gonna give me some tips on cutting those springs??
Thanks
Smok'n L

Old 11-21-2001, 05:52 PM
SmokinL,I've ridden in TampaSVT's truck with the cut springs.It rides great and handles great.It convinced me to drop mine.I decided to use the Belltech 2" springs just so I could keep the stock springs in case I wanted to go back.My truck is not as low as his,but mine looks better and is much faster.

Old 11-21-2001, 06:28 PM
Well Nozebleed, I also want to keep my stock springs too, thats why Im hoping that someone else is willing to part w/theirs.
Is there any takers out there?????
All this good stuff ive been hearing, is really giving me the itch to just go outside and HACK mine up......but I wont

LEENSVT WHERE R U??????????
Later
Smok'n L

Quick Reply: Need front stock springs(cutting)