Lightning

Chip Vs. Valve Body Vs. Both ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Chip Vs. Valve Body Vs. Both ???

ok i am sitting here tying to decide what i should do with regards to the transmission in my soon to be PSP modded 2001 lightning.

I would like some of your opinions on what solution would be best as far as long term transmission performance.

1. Let the chip handle the pressure leaving the tranny alone??

2. Order a accumulator / vavle body from PSP and have him leave the trans shifting part of the chip in its stock configuration.??

3. Order the valve body and let the chip work in conjunction with the valve.???

4. leave the trans alone and the chip alone in regards to altering the shifts??

I would be open to much discussion on this, I really dont want to dela with tranny probelms any time soon. MY local dealer blows goats.

Bob

Old 11-19-2001, 11:30 PM
I had the same concerns up until about a week ago. I say do the chip and don't open up the tranny unless you are VERY serious about drag racing your L. Plus, if you ever have to take it in for service, pulling the chip is cake, cracking open the tranny isn't.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-19-2001, 11:35 PM
I say valve body first. Seriously doubt the dealer is gonna open up the bottom of the tranny to see if it's been modified. Checking the computers contacts is much easier and effective.

Do the valve body so you can also get the 4x4 tranny pan with drain plug to make future tranny fluid changes easier.

Also if you're not happy with valve body shifting (not hard enough) when you go with a chip just mention how you want shifts to be.

Old 11-19-2001, 11:35 PM
Bob
I am going to be running both the PSP Factory Tech Shift Kit/valve body and my JL Chip. JL says there will be no problems and Factory Tech says you may have problems with both. The valve body is a Ford part with different springs in the valves so a dealer will not notice it without pulling the valves apart. The chip ups the line pressure for firmer shifts, same as the shift kit. In conjunction, you will have FIRM shifts, more than likely barking the tires under WOT. Hope this helps. Beefcake has had the same setup and has not had any problems. Hope this helps.

Doug

Old 11-20-2001, 12:19 AM
Been there done that. For years I had the chip take care of line pressure so that I would get nice crisp shifts and STILL be able to grab rubber in second. After listening to people about how the pump is under added strain and that I think it's wise to adjust the shifting mechanically intead of electronically I went with the accumulator mod. At first I left my chip at elevated pressure with the new accumulator to see how it shifted. Well for me it was too harsh so I had the chip backed down to stock function. Some people might like the harshness but my wife OCCASIONALLY drives with me and she along with me thought it shifted too hard. Now with just the accumulator I still get a BIG chirp in second and sometime 3rd... Hope this helps. Jeff

Old 11-20-2001, 01:37 AM
just a question about getting the valve body done, i've heard that mechanically adjusting the shifting can put added strain on the tranny, i couldn't find the thread but i think i've seen it on here, also if you get a valve body job, is there anything else you sh ould do to make it all work well together.

~toast

Old 11-20-2001, 08:19 AM
Once you start making more power, your tranny may not shift when it is supposed to without a shift kit/valvebody upgrade.

Old 11-20-2001, 09:13 AM
I agree with jeffslightning. The shifts are a bit harsh with both.Add the mechanical shift kit and have the chip programed (or re-programed) with the stock shift calibration.It will feel no different than what the chip felt like but with the "built in " durability of a bolt-on.

Old 11-20-2001, 11:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
bob,

the facory tech shift kit is a pretty easy to it yourself mod and will give you the longest life out of the tranny.

i do have the jl chip, after i go to a custom dyno tuned chip, i will not be keeping the pressure raised.

i want durability also, after seeing some of the trannies factory tech had laying around that were fried from the line pressure raise, it is not something i would do

Old 11-20-2001, 12:10 PM
I say do the chip and the accumalator valve. Letting my chip handle the pressure made the trans have some slippage. After I installed the valve it shifts crisp and hard in all gears. No slippage at all. It made a huge difference.

Old 11-20-2001, 06:18 PM
ttt

Old 11-20-2001, 09:06 PM
Does the valve body mod firm up the shifts at part throtle as well as WOT. I am a little concerned about wet weather shifting, even with the stock shift firmness the tires break lose real easy. Thanks.

Old 11-20-2001, 09:11 PM
The valve body mostly firms shifts up at WOT. I'm sure they are firmer than stock at part throttle, but most noticable at WOT.

Old 11-21-2001, 07:57 AM
Question Level 10???

I have still yet to read anything regarding a Level 10 shift kit.

Can anyone make comparison's between the Factory Tech valve body and a Level 10 shift kit. Which one shifts harder, which one is better for the tranny, can you use both????

I want to improve my tranny but want to do it right the first time......and I do not plan on increasing the line pressure with a chip.

Thanks for the help........Joe

Old 11-21-2001, 10:27 AM
I had the full level 10 and it was too harsh for everyday driving. It snapped my neck going into overdrive. I am going with a less harsh system in the new truck. Don't get me wrong, the Level10 does what it is supposed to do. It just isn't the right combo for me.

Quick Reply: Chip Vs. Valve Body Vs. Both ???