Lightning

Nitrous vs Non Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001 | 06:01 PM
It dosent really matter to me how you get there, Around a 5000Lb truck getting REAL close to 10's??? Come one now, That deserves RESPECT. And Sal was right on the money saying NOS & more boost are real close, they both have the same effect on a Motor!!

Old 11-20-2001 | 06:06 PM
|
Originally posted by 2_FAST4U
His truck is just for the record that you can run 11.60s with no nitrous and "NO" cooler!!!
Statements like that are the reason I made this post in the first place. This statement implys that it's somehow more impressive or difficult to obtain that number without using nitrous. As for the cooler thing, I've seen Jims truck and didn't see one. That doesn't mean that Jim is smart or dumb for using it or not, but I am surprised to not see one since he had a nice cooler setup in his 99.

Old 11-20-2001 | 06:10 PM
Re: Re: Mixed feelings on NOS

Originally posted by RTKILLA

I don't know about you guys but a 5.0 that can handle a 200 shot of juice is pretty impressive to me. I don't know to many STOCK vehicles that can handle that kind of juice without trashing something or another in the drivetrain. Just a thought
I've seen it done. Stock motor actually lasted about 4 months before it blew. Also saw another guy running a 200 shot through a V6 stang. He had a jacobs nitrous mastermind and all the accesories so it lasted for awhile too.

Old 11-20-2001 | 06:28 PM
Pulleys is for Pussies, Real men spray and pray

Old 11-20-2001 | 06:43 PM
This is meant as a joke. I've had my fair share of expensive boatanchors

Originally posted by 2_FAST4U

Believe it man!!!! There is no cooler on his '01!!!

His truck is just for the record that you can run 11.60s with no nitrous and "NO" cooler!!!
And 3.5" rods
He runs that fast because of the extra holes in the side of the block allow for more air in the cylinder.

Old 11-20-2001 | 07:27 PM
Just for the record because it really bothers me:

NOS IS A BRAND NAME, JUST LIKE BAND-AID! NITROUS NITROUS NITSOUS!

Im sorry, but I really hate it when nitrous is called NOS. Anyway on to my post...

Is takeing a low 13 second truck into the very low 12's useing nitrous cheating? We were the second if not the first (maybe to HIGHRISK) to put nitrous on a Gen II lightning. Since then we have done alot of testing and see what works and what doesn't. Yes we have been through one motor, but any of the faster running trucks will too if proper steps are not taken.

Either way you choose, weather is be nitrous or lots of boost, you still make the power and run fast. It just all takes time and money...

Old 11-20-2001 | 08:04 PM
Talking

Well, lets see I haven't pissed anyone off in ahwhile so....I think Nirours is BS. A cheap $500 bolton for the average clown that knows nothing about tuning or maximizing the potential of his own engine so he just add NOS and brags about it until it blows up. Sal is right, in that it does take a LOT of talent to run it correctly and I'm sure his new rods, bolts, and pistons all help. Unfortunately, his (Sals) engine is totally uncomparable to a stock lighting motor, llike apples and oranges. Probably one person out of 100 does NOS correctly and there are plenty of blown engines to prove it. I bow to the one out of 100. I laugh at the rest.

noelvm

Old 11-20-2001 | 08:09 PM
Posting Rights Suspended

That's Mr. Bozo to you, Noel....

Old 11-20-2001 | 08:53 PM
Originally posted by MRBBQMAN
Pulleys is for Pussies, Real men spray and pray
HaHaHaHaHa

Old 11-20-2001 | 09:45 PM
I'm going to get jumped for adding my .02 on this one!! he,he.

N20 is for MOST people who want cheap hp. Takes less time and money then pulling an engine and re-building it with some skill. Where is the satisfaction in wining when it is not a true mechanicaly engineered performance part!

I don't look at solinoids,hoses and a bottle as a perminent performance application. Meaning it only delivers performance when it has liquid. None of the other components are worth anything without it.

Face it! It's cheap anyway you look at it! My opinion. Programing chips is a form of engineering. Didn't take much to install it. It did take alot of development work to perfect it...... That's respectable.

N2O Takes very little skill to install. Just get your refills and keep thinking your truck is something fast until you run out. Then some won't race without it!

The N2O makes up for lack of driving skill for some drivers. If your not good out of the hole just use the O'L N2O. Let it make up for poor driving.

Their is no HONOR in wining with N2O in my opinion. The juice did it for you!! I can see people who sell it will try to keep it in a good comparison to a mechanicaly engineered performance part. It makes them money!!

One thing I can say about a pulley or any other mechanical performance part. "I don't have to keep reaching into my pocket to keep the performance of that part going." Keep reaching in your wallet. I pay once. When im at Ramchargers and see the guys buying thier refills I just smile. All that cash they dumped on refills, in time, if saved, would have added up to enough bolt ons to get them to the same performance level as N2O.

At least adding a pulley puts your hands on the engine and gives you some sense of gratification that when you win, it was you and not a bottle. Your own physical and mental ability to install an engineered performance part that made a difference in the outcome of the race.

N2O is nothing more then a artifical liquid. It's results are an artifical win. No nuts or bolts, steel or aluminum. It's the mechanical engineering that is the hart of performance. You can improve on a part or modify it. Gratification is something earned by one's ability to install or improve a mechanical part using know how and skill.

N20 is like an Olympic runner on steroids. Fast when they are on it. When their off it! They lose! No hart! Maybe it's because im old fashoned i feel this way about N2O.

I got beat by a 2001 Mustang GT early this year that had NOS. Then one day i ran into him with his baby bottle empty! He lost!!

I had the gratification of cleaning his clock!! He was nothing without his bottle!! He had no N2O to compensate for his crapy launch off the line and poor shifting.

Get your hands dirty or get back in the Kithchen with your bottle. J/K. My opinion is just that! Not to start anything! Just the way I feel about N2O.

Everone has their prference and I respect that! To each their own! Hope all on here have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving. Even you N2O users.

Old 11-20-2001 | 10:00 PM
Thor01- Wanna Race?

Old 11-20-2001 | 10:11 PM
Applauds @ Thor

99L Black

Old 11-20-2001 | 10:13 PM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Arrow

Who was it that had an "in-cab purge?" OH YEAH!

Now THAT was funny...

I respect folks that use nitrous however I chose not to.

Last edited by Speedin Bob; 11-20-2001 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-20-2001 | 10:14 PM
Wink

i sell the stuff, use 130lb bottles, get it basically free. the heavy bottle over the right rear helps with traction, and i never run out. i dishonor myself constantly, with this stuff. change plugs with oil and tire rotation (3K), and i don't discriminate, everybody gets at least a 50shot, from soccer moms to the city bus, your gonna get sprayed

Old 11-20-2001 | 10:24 PM
|
Thor01, I'm really surprised at that post. You've displayed impressive knowledge in the past, and always seemed to look at things from good perspectives. I'm not saying that your opinion is wrong or bad, but I'm surprised to get such a close minded view on this from you. It doesn't mean I don't like ya .

I didn't intend this topic to become a "debate". I made my original post because there are people out there that have the same outlook as Thor01, and it's not right.

A nitrous system is a bolt on just like any part. Just because it needs to be "filled" to work doesn't make it any less of a part. Power coolers and ice boxes need to be filled, are they "cheap" hp? Your gas tank needs to be filled, the motor doesn't run without it, does it??

It's very true that any person can bolt on a nitrous system to anything and gain power. The same can be said for ANY power adder. Hell, you could hook a hair dryer to a cars intake tube and make yourself an electric blower. But there is a differance between some kid with a Honda who slaps some "NAWS" on his V-tek and Billy Gliddens 6 second nitrous Pro-5.0 car. Besides, how is nitrous "easy" hp? It take a good day or two to install, plumb and wire up a nitrous system. It takes an hour to slap on a pulley. Not to hard to figure out which one of those was "easier" to get power.

Nitrous systems are complex units. They have to be tuned properly. The latest solenoids and nozzles make tons more power thanks to years of R&D. You need the proper supporting hardware to make a nitrous system work at optimum performance and consistancy. Whoever coined the phrase "nitrous is cheap hp", obviously never used the stuff.

Some people say stuff like "take the nitrous off and see how fast you go". Well that's fine, take your pulleys off and see how fast you go. It's the same thing. Two different ways to make power, each requiring equal amounts of tuning and dedication.

Referring back to my original post, both methods of adding power on these trucks do the same thing. They both add extra fuel and oxygen into the motor. There is nothing "cheap" or "easy" about using nitrous. I can't MAKE people think differently, but I CAN put forth knowledgeable information to give people a new look at it.

Quick Reply: Nitrous vs Non Nitrous