Lightning

Some Tuners good, some bad

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001 | 09:43 AM
Johnny

is well respected here by most people. He's been straight and honest with me too. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again.

Something smells 'fishy' in Denmark!

Dan

Old 11-22-2001 | 10:04 AM
Let me tell you a little story...

Back a few months ago I purchased a JL chip for my 01L. I installed it and was happy with the results for the most part but I was getting some slight detonation at top end. I ignored it, and installed some Splitfire 10-D's. Needless to say the plugs fell apart and grenaded the block because the timing was too hot and I should have sent the chip back for a re-burn prior to sampling the SF's, which have weak electrodes. I did get the motor replaced under warranty (I'm good, don't ask how I bs'ed my way through that one ) Bottom line: Anything that YOU do to modify the engine from stock YOU must take responsibility for. JL is human, and like yourself is prone to make mistakes. Your problems could have been self-induced or JL could have mis-programmed it or his equipment could have mis-programmed it. Either way it looks like your approach and tact were sorely lacking.

I told JL about what happened and I got it re-burned. That simple. I didn't accuse him of anything because I installed the chip and I am responsible for observing it's operation. May the black soot from you tailpipe stain your paint as a reminder of your arrogance and foolishness. May you find many mailboxes with your front bumper.

Old 11-22-2001 | 10:19 AM
Originally posted by JohnnyLightning
Since you already called your credit card company and gave them FALSE info. and the amount of $ you paid for your chip. this has to be dealt with in a total different way now. thanx to you!
I'm not sure I understand this one. The CC company will look at the exact charge on his card abd then find out from you exactly what happen before they make a final ruling. How he can inflate a charge without you getting the money is something new to me. That is unless you gave him some money back for a charge that was too high then the CC company would not know anything about.
My dealings with JL have been straight up. He has ALWAYS answered my e-mails and described his products. Jeff

Old 11-22-2001 | 10:20 AM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Happy Thanksgiving!!

Red01LightninWV

enjoy your meal!

Last edited by Speedin Bob; 11-22-2001 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-22-2001 | 10:21 AM
Bob that's cruel...

Old 11-22-2001 | 11:51 AM
RED01Lightnin- Where you located in WV?

Old 11-22-2001 | 12:03 PM
Wink

I bought a chip from one of the "tuners" and i was pretty happy with it. ran a 13.2 with it, and then this "tuner" posts he ran a 12.9 with the same chip and mods, and i'm like, WTF. so i call this tuner and say, hey WTF, and he says what do you mean WTF? i said hey, is there one program for me and a faster program for you? he says yep, do you want me to blow up your truck for you, and i said, hell no. he says drive over to see me and you can run 12.9 too, so i said "forgetaboutit", i'm not driving across the country for 3/10ths. then he says "then why the hell did you call" and i said i didn't know. thats my experience with these guys, so happy thanksgiving, or something

Old 11-22-2001 | 12:05 PM
Angry

This is the kind of stuff that kills me about how completely ignorant people can be. When you buy a new vehicle and YOU decide to modify it, IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY !!! Don't put the blame on a part you bought or the person you bought it from. It was your decision. More Horsepower = Less Warranty. It's that simple. Now, I'll give you that on a rare ocassion you may get a defective part from someone BUT all 3 tuners work for such a small customer base that I'm 99.9% sure they don't want any negative feedback from customers so they will go the extra mile to make people happy. But I guess some people you just can't make happy.

Old 11-22-2001 | 12:13 PM
Well all I can say is you must have talked to JL rudely, I have called him SO UPSET many times. Not at him, but at something going wrong. Usually he can tell me what to do within 5 min over the phone? You think that isnt good service? He has even offered to meet with me at times. JL & Sue are more than good L product's providers. They are really good down to earth people. I think I speak for most when I say that. Johnny has went out of his way many times for many of us. I have WATCHED him not run his truck to help his customers & EVEN OTHERS CUSTOMERS!!!!!

The first night I talked with him (about 5 months ago) he called me on his way back from helping someone. It was like 10pm he was tired and driving home. We talked about what I should do to my truck for about a hour (on his dime) and his last words to me were I WILL REFUND COMPLETELY IF WHAT I TOLD YOU IS NOT TRUE OR YOU ARE UNHAPPY WITH PRODUCTS OR PERFORMANCE.

Thats was enuff for me.....

THANKS JL & SUE!!!!!

Old 11-22-2001 | 01:02 PM
I HAVE THE RAM AIR II, CHIP AND #3 PULLEY FROM JL ON MY 01L.
I NEVER HAD THE SLIGHTEST PROBLEM AND THE PERFORMANCE OF THE PRODUCTS IS GREAT. AT THIS MOMENT JL HAS MY CHIP FOR REBURN TO GO WITH THE #4 OR#5 PULLEY AT HIS DISCRETION AS MY DRIVING IS MOSTLY CITY AND IN TRAFFIC.
AT ONE TIME MY CHIP WAS LOST IN THE MAIL ON THE WAY BACK TO ME. JL SEND ME A NEW ONE SHORTLY AFTER. I TRUST HIS TUNING AND JUDGEMENT AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN HELPFULL.
AS A SMALL OUT OF THE HOME BUSSINESS IT MAY SOMETIMES MAKE SOME MISTAKES BUT IT HAPPENS IN ALL BUSSINESS. AT LEAST YOU CAN TALK TO JL OR SUE INSTEAD OF SOME CUSTOMER SERVICE REP. LETS GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE. NO ONE IS PERFECT AND BOTH CUSTOMERS AND SUPPLYERS CAN BE AT FAULT. WORKING TOGETHER IS A BETTER SOLUTION.

Old 11-22-2001 | 01:33 PM
Johnny is a stand up guy. I have always got great service from him. I have bought a couple of chips, ram air, two ltransmission accumulator valve, lower pulleys, drive shaft loop, and will buy more from him in the future.
If something goes wrong with my truck I have to accept the responsibility for modding my truck.
That being said if you could prove that the chip did destroy your pcm I think that diablo should replace your pcm. I don't think that the chip could do that I have never heard of a chip destroying a pcm. You have to be very careful about how a chip is installed.

Old 11-22-2001 | 01:33 PM
Interesting Red01LightninWV,
Somehow JL wronged just you and nobody else.
There sure is alot of "reasonable doubt" in your story.
I've had no dealings with JL, never even seen a picture of him or his wife.
If indeeed your story is meant to discredit him and his business, it did not work, just the opposite. Its nice to see his customers and NON-customers come to his aid.
If I were to ever modify my L, I would have NO reservations in calling JL.

Old 11-22-2001 | 03:07 PM
I agree its not right to come on here and bash a tuner for any reason. I have had JL parts on both my lightnings and never had a problem with any of it. And if i did i would take it up with him not come in here and bash him. Johnny is a stand up guy as 2fast4u stated. Comming in here trying to bury him is not making you look good at all. And will not get your truck fixed any faster.

Old 11-22-2001 | 03:18 PM
kind of off subject but I read several post about when you buy a new truck and mod it its your responsablity.. But then in other posts I read ford vioded my warranty because I moded my truck thats not right???????????? LOL Just an observation.

Old 11-22-2001 | 04:32 PM
... all 3 tuners work for such a small customer base...
Correction. There are 4 (four) tuners. One of them doesn't post.

Spike

Last edited by Spike Engineering; 11-22-2001 at 04:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Some Tuners good, some bad