Lightning

Some Tuners good, some bad

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001 | 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Spike Engineering

Correction. There are 4 (four) tuners. One of them doesn't post.

Spike
Correction there are 5(five) tuners. Two of them do not post. Jeff

Old 11-22-2001 | 04:43 PM
Ally,

Here's a common scenario. You put a chip in your truck, a month later the intercooler blows. Ford tells you the intercooler failed because of the chip and is now voiding the balance of your powertrain warranty. Is that right ??? NO. Does Ford have the right to do that ??? YES. Ford's warranties do not cover aftermarket parts. You have to be smart as a consumer as to what you put in your vehicle since there is always a risk in doing any modifications to a new vehicle. If you want to go fast you have to be aware of the consequences.

Old 11-22-2001 | 04:47 PM
Exclamation

Correction 3.

There are more than a dozen companies that can tune Lightnings but do not cater to them specifically. Only 3 do.

Old 11-22-2001 | 05:25 PM
Rob,

I thought there was five!!!!!

Jim(JDM), Sal(PSP), JL(JLP), Mark(LFP), and Danny(DSP)!!!!

LOL!!!

Old 11-22-2001 | 05:49 PM
In alphabetical order. The 3 Lightning guys..

JDM (superchips)
Johnny Lightning (diablosport)
Power Surge Performance (autologic)

The others...in random order.

Swanson Performance
Sean Hyland Motorsport
Paul's High Performance
Kenne Bell
Hypertech
JET Performance
Anderson Ford Motorsport
Steeda
(all of the above sell their own particular Lightning parts as well as chips)

Mark @ LightningForce sells JDM chips. He does not tune Lightning's.
Mike @ Lightning Performance sells JDM and Diablo chips. He also does not tune Lightning's.

There's also plenty of local Superchips, Diablo and AutoLogic dealers that will burn you a program BUT are not as experienced in tuning these trucks as the 3 Lightning tuners. Thank you very little.

Old 11-22-2001 | 06:08 PM
I do not know who done who wrong here but I do think that it is worth discussing. The concept of not allowing any negative info regarding any of the "supporting vendors" is a great disservice to those of us that wish to hear good as well as the bad. No one is perfect, and a lot can be learned from how the bad situations are handled.

Old 11-22-2001 | 06:09 PM
SVTRobG,

Quit while you're ahead. Danny caters to Lightning owners and he is experienced. BTW, he's helping develop a road racing program.

Thanks for learning something new!

Spike

Old 11-22-2001 | 06:31 PM
Thumbs up

Just making people aware there's more than 5 companies that know what a Lightning is.

Old 11-22-2001 | 06:46 PM
Just keep in mind that there are only 3 chip makers worth noting out there and literally hundreds of differant programs. Superschip/Autologic/Diablo

Old 11-22-2001 | 07:19 PM
|
Hey I know i flamed alot of people on here but I find it necessary to put real world scenarios on here like i said previously. No one is perfect, I know that the good posts out number the bad a thousand to one but that doesnt mean that i shouldnt post it just because it makes people angry that "their" tuner is talked bad about one time. I'm just posting this to inform consumers about the aftermarket. Let the buyer beware. I agree with many of you that modding your vehicle is taking on the responsibility that something could happen....but with a chip being the only modification to my truck besides a ram air kit I think the mods are very subtle and hence should be reliable. And like someone said earlier about waiting 3000 mile to mod a truck...when i contacted JL he was more than insistent that 400 miles was enough break in period...LOL. But it was my decision to install it that soon...so that fault was mine.
I have had time to think about this whole situation today while watching the Bronco's and have decided to just write it off as a loss....since i know i cant get my money back for the chip...maybe I can use it as a christmas tree ornament. And can hopefully pickup a new processor and get it keyed to fit my truck next week. Its not the money im concerned about its just the principal. If I was to get a new Alternator or Starter Tomorrow and it went bad....would the shop give me a new one or say...sorry about your luck? Just wondering.
Thats the only problem buying over the internet.....you never know who your dealing with. When you conduct your business face to face you get alot better treatment...at least I do....well thats for other reasons that im not going to discuss.

Old 11-22-2001 | 07:39 PM
Just wanna say something

I myself have bought things from JL. The diablo chip, ram air kit, lower pulley. Once I installed everything I was having problems with my ET's and chip connection (but I had no idea what it was at the time.) I left about 2 posts on both F-150 online and NLOC not on JL's site. I hadn't even talked to JL before. But he read my posts that I had left and realized what was wrong. He quickly called me at my house and we spoke about the problems that were going on in my truck. After I got off the phone with him I clearly understood everything he was talking about. And I was able to quickly fix the problem. Now I dont know about anyone else but for a Vendor to call you at your house and help you out and explain in depth everything to do, That is CUSTOMER SERVICE!. Now usually I heard with chips it takes a couple times to get it completely right. Some are more lucky than others. All I have to say is JL is one hell of a guy and one hell of a vendor. He backs up what he does 110%.

Just thought I would say my .02

Old 11-22-2001 | 07:41 PM
I would like to thank (everyone) even those who have not purchased any of my products! Seriously this has meant alot to me to hear this. This is just some of the things we as tuners have to go thru. Like i said before all you have to do is just ask and a FULL refund for your chip will be yours... i don't want you or anybody feel they have been ripped off. I can't build a (Good) buisness by doing something like that.. I plan on being in this buisness as long as i can. so you see i'll try my best to make my customers happy. Please send your chip back and i'll refund your money.. but i'm sure you'll find out the chip wasn't the problem. Have you ever checked the mass air sensor ? your 02 sensors?maybe this is why you get those codes.. JL

Old 11-22-2001 | 07:55 PM
Red,
Negative posts are more than welcome on these boards with one very important understanding. BACK IT UP! These boards are for informational purposes, good and bad. If you get delt a bad hand be prepared to show your cards. What I see here is a "new" (inexperienced) Lightning owner that may have gotten in over his head. Something seemingly so easy as installing a chip can be tricky. One small unknown slip up can produce dire consequences. First reaction: blame the part. Second reaction: blame the supplier.

With a post like this I would side with the tuner every time. Doesn't matter who the tuner is. If handled in a professional manner they will all respond to problems. With any luck the tuners will share information within their circles fo "bad" customers to watchout for. A tuner "black list" perhaps. Changing screen names is easy. Changing the name on a credit card is a little harder.

Old 11-22-2001 | 08:07 PM
|
Hey Silver Bolt just for some info Im an ASE certified and Ford Master Technician that has left the Dealership business after 8 years...yeah i am as inexperienced as much as you are quick to run your mouth and jump on the bandwagon

Old 11-22-2001 | 08:08 PM
|
Silver Bolt...as far as a "Black List" is it that hard to get one of my friends to order a particular part if i need it? Naaaah.

Quick Reply: Some Tuners good, some bad