Lightning

Some Tuners good, some bad

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001 | 02:55 AM
|
Some Tuners good, some bad

Hey its great to hear you guys talking up the aftermarket tuners on here. Most of them deserve every bit of it. For one...Mark at LFP is probably the most customer service oriented. His service deserves the attention you all rave about. But I have not been so lucky with another tuner....dare i say his name? >>> JL <<<
Ordered a Diablo chip from him for my new 01 L with 400 miles on the odometer. Installed it and drove around for less than 20 miles and the Service Engine Soon light came on truck started running real rich...blackened the back wheel completely. Removed the chip. Cleared the codes and drove to my local cealership where i use to work for 8 years. Before i could get there the light was on again. Hooked up to WDS and got codes PO172 and PO175 ....running reallly rich. Now this is with the chip out....the processor will not regulate the fuel curve. Technician who has 25 years experience in Driveability/ ECC work says the processor was corrupted by the chip. Now it needs a new processor that will not be cover under warranty. Before anyone responds...just know that yes I did unhook the battery, keys, and leave the headlight switch on, also had on ground strap on my wrist, because with static electricity you never know. And also speant over 30 minutes cleaning the terminals on the processor very very carefully. But anyways not only will JL not stand behind his product and replace the processor, but now he wont even allow me to return the chip for a refund! I would post his emails to me to allow everyone to see what kind of person he really is...but I'm not going to stoop that low. I just kjnow that I will never even consider buying from him again and hope I never run into him anywhere...it wont be pretty. Dang...480 miles is a long way to drive ....but it may be worth it.
Im not suggesting not to buy from JL...just know who your dealing with and that if you have any problems...your gonna have even bigger ones with him.

Old 11-22-2001 | 03:14 AM
Well, I don't have any JL products on my truck, but I will tell you JL is a stand up guy and DOES back up his products!!!

I willing to bet that you were pretty much an a$$ to him about the situation which deserved no respect from the other side. Respect is earned, not given!!!

I am good friends with JL, and he runs an excellent show over there and has many fine followers. I suggest that you remove you statements from the board.

Playing the mod game is a risky one and each tuner will tell you that. If you get a rotten hand that it is your fall. They will try to help you in any way possible, but when it comes do to it(legally), its your loss.

This thread will not be taken that well, so expect it to be closed within.

Just my .02

Old 11-22-2001 | 03:22 AM
|
Hey 2 Fast thanks for the response. Just what I was expecting from this board....seems alot of people on here are "buddy's" and willing to stick up for the Tuners without knowing the whole situation. Anyways he who laughs last laughs hardest !

Old 11-22-2001 | 03:26 AM
I use to expect the same thing, and sometimes I do. I am just a firm believer in keeping business situations off of the boards. This is a place for info amd chatting, not for shouting your problems with people.

Johnny is a good man, no harm to anybody, just tryin' to make a living. I am sure if you call him and express your situation, this can be taken care of without everybody jumping on you like flys on *****!!!

Trust me dude....I am being nice to you compared to other people on this board!!!

Old 11-22-2001 | 03:45 AM
|
2Fast seems your the only one up tonight. Anyways I just thought it justified to put a real world scenario on here. If your gonna post the good stuff you have to post the bad. No need to blow up someones customer service to give people a false impression when considering a big purchase. And yes I do believe in saying thanks to the Tuners..as I have to Mark at Lightning Force Performance many times. Its just that JL has had many people have stuff wrong with thier trucks and somehow it is never his pulleys, chips, etc. Its always something that we've did or Ford did. And 99% of the time he's probably right. But in my case he was not.

Old 11-22-2001 | 04:10 AM
I've ordered several products from JL and have NEVER had any problems at all from him or his goods. His Superchip and air kit were both top-notch, as were my dealings with him on the phone. I received my order from him in a hurry (driveshaft loop in less than 3 days and chip and filter kit in less than a week) and wouldn't think twice about spending more $$$ with him. The guy is nothing but quality and so are his products.

DUCK

Old 11-22-2001 | 04:24 AM
|
Hey Duck...same here...good to deal with until you have a problem . Because you got your products fast like I did does no credit to JL...that thanks belongs to UPS or Priority mail. And as I have said before JL is tne only one giving me any crap.

Old 11-22-2001 | 06:35 AM
red01,

It is good to voice your concerns, but on here it is kinda like bad mojo!!!

I use to be like this and voice all my concerns, but that just got me in hot water. I am now doing all business offline and just talk about interesting stuff.

I do know what you mean about the bad threads being the good threads in the sense of replies.

I just think you should give JL another chance and talk with him on the subject. I am not totally aware of the current situation, but I think JL may feel justified in his reaction. Then a tug-a-war is happening and everybody gets hurt in those battles!!!

Like I said in my first post, I do not have any of JL's products on my truck and some people take me as being bias, and that may be true, but Johnny is a stand up guy in the many times I have meet with him and his wife and even though they knew I was a competitor's customer, they still made me feel like I was apart of the JL family. I would really try to talk with him to straighten this all out.

Old 11-22-2001 | 07:20 AM
Red01,

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. You do have to realize that this could of happened with any chip you may have chose to use. I find it hard to believe that Johnny isn't willing to help you find out what happened to your truck. I have raced with him several times and spent alittle $ with him. I don't have his chip,but he has never been pushy to sell me one. He is the easiest,most helpful,concerned about your truck person I have met. Sal is right there along with him. If I fried my processor, That is my problem. Nobody forced you to put a chip in. Same goes for any trans mods(shift kit). I don't think we are getting the whole story and we never will. There is another side to this and I doubt if Johnny will air it here. This is not the place for it. Maybe some of the other tuners can help you solve your problem, but nobody's gonna buy you a new computer. I know I wouldn't.

Old 11-22-2001 | 07:36 AM
Originally posted by 2_FAST4U
Respect is earned, not given!!!
2_FAST - In good business, its given.

Sorry about your problems, Red. Maybe you should try posting on HIS message board if you want to attempt some kind of resolution, as posting her really does make it look like all you want to do is hurt business. Unless you 2 have already had nasty words and its beyond fixing.

Good luck all.
Jeff

Old 11-22-2001 | 07:50 AM
I also find it hard to believe that JL would live you in a "lurch" like you describe. If in fact, that is the scenario, then just maybe there was an attitude problem. Since you brought this to the board, why don't you post JL response. I only say that because I would think that Diablo would replace the box, if the chip corrupted it. BUT did you consider that maybe you had a bad box in your truck before you bought it? Thats why, as a good rule of thumb, you need to put approx 3000 miles on your vehicle before modify's begin. Just to make sure everything is okay. Just my opinion, and we know, everyone has one Best of luck to you in getting you wrongs righted

Old 11-22-2001 | 08:14 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by 2_FAST4U
Respect is earned, not given!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, when I said that I mean't personally, not in business terms. I respect all of the tuners as they respect me. That comes from past remarks as well as meeting them face to face to talk about concerns.

Old 11-22-2001 | 08:27 AM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Angry

Just so you're aware, flaming supporting vendors is a NO NO and your treading on thin ice with posts such as this.

However, please touch base with your technician and have him provide a specific detailed explaination as to HOW and WHY the chip allegedly corrupted your processor.

Old 11-22-2001 | 08:54 AM
Hmm. I wouldn't refund your $ ? You never even asked for a refund! I would be more than happy to give a refund if i was only asked! You state you had a wrist strap on and everything? Cleaned the contacts for 30 mins? I explained all the possible things that could have led up to this problem and i see your covering all the bases.(NOW). You chose to go about this in a complete Wrong way! i won't discuss the details here.. but i do know that i do my best to be upfront & HONEST with ALL my customers! All i ask for is to be HONEST! with me.. Hey we all make mistakes. but this one i'm 100% sure wasn't caused by the chip! Most likely Improper installation or removel of the chip. Also like i stated before i'm not the 1 who makes the chips Diablosport does i just program my program on the module.. Since you already called your credit card company and gave them FALSE info. and the amount of $ you paid for your chip. this has to be dealt with in a total different way now. thanx to you! Oh well like i said before all you had to do was ask for a refund and you would have gotten it. but you never did.. We all can see whats going on here. JL

Old 11-22-2001 | 08:54 AM
*Counting minutes until locked* Just as the Gator thunk, some BS!

Last edited by Fast Gator; 11-22-2001 at 08:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Some Tuners good, some bad