Lightning

HELP!!!! No Boost???????

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001 | 11:41 PM
|
HELP!!!! No Boost???????

I was going to lunch (work nights) and noticed the service road to the highway was all clear. This favorable situation enticed me to floor it!! Next was very weird....the RPM's went to around 5700 but the neck breaking pull was absent. Looked at BOTH boost gauges and they showed 0??!!!! Now I'm worried, so I let off, continue for a few seconds and then floor it again.....STILL NO BOOST???!!!! The charger's whinin' but it's definitely not pulling. Took the next exit and came to a stop light. Decided t try it one more time...What do ya know...the Boost is back!!! Picked up my lunch, got on the freeway, floored it...10psi and neck breaking pull were both present again. Should I be worried? Does anyone know what causes this? Has this happened to anyone else?

Last edited by D-townSVT; 12-03-2001 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-03-2001 | 11:43 PM
Don't worry, its normal. It usually happens when you put in a chip. There is a fix for that though.

Old 12-03-2001 | 11:44 PM
Sounds like boost dump too me. The computer didnt like something so it opened the boost bypass, therefore it whines like crazy but not boost pressure. Did you hit the rev limiter when you nailed it? I know that will cause it too dump boost.

Old 12-03-2001 | 11:46 PM
|
A fix?? What is it?

Old 12-03-2001 | 11:55 PM
There are at least 2 "fixes". JDM sells a boost bypass kit that eliminates this nasty gremlin. Or you can just unplug the connecter on the side of the boost solenoid. This makes a code pop up, though. No service engine light, and you can reset it by disconnecting the battery.

Old 12-03-2001 | 11:57 PM
FIX

Looking under your hood from the driver side, look at your firewall. There are lots of vacuum hoses but you will see a gold (i think) cylinder thing. Look behind it and there will be a wiring harness(with 3 wires) that is plugged into a socket. It also has 3 vacuum lines running to it. 2 are next to each other. Just unplug the harness with the wires and there you have it. Dont unplu any vacuum lines. I think I sayed everything right. Anybody else that have better instructions?

Old 12-04-2001 | 12:16 AM
|
Just checked JDM's website...Boost bypass kit was $25. Seems kinda high for about $5 worth of parts, oh well, I assume the instructions are worth the other $20
I want to avoid the Check engine warning light........
Oh well, I guess I'll be ordering my next "mod" Friday.

Old 12-04-2001 | 12:59 AM
na

just unplug the dump solenoid, there will be no light only a code to the computer that you will never see. No reason to worry about the code you've already put the chip in and the Ford man can plainly see that or the evidence of it. When you remove the chip haveing the battery disconnected will also clear the code. It wont even effect you normal driving or idle.

Old 12-04-2001 | 01:56 AM
Exclamation

Mine started that crap with the pulley at high rpm. Unplug the dump valve like in these pics. I forget the exact program requirements it is like if the motor is at boost over RPM or powerbraking during a burn out will trip it for 10sec or until you stop again. DO NOT mess with the vacuum lines they are a mechanical safety that protect the motor from BAD happenings they will kick in temporarily if necessary. Here are pics of what to do follow the stick

Old 12-04-2001 | 02:33 AM
|
Thanks everyone for the help! I'll just unplug that damn solenoid.

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! No Boost???????