Lightning

FIRST TRACK VISIT TONIGHT? How do I launch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001 | 03:29 PM
|
FIRST TRACK VISIT TONIGHT? How do I launch?

Well, after 1200 miles on her, I'm taking her to the track........I thought I'd wait till next year, but screw it........I'm impatient.

I was checking the FAQ on launching, but it says "for slicks only" I'm going in full trim with my F1's of course......so how do I do it?

Best launch technique? (torque brake? from idle? what?)
should I do a burnout to get 'em sticky?
tire pressure?
once i'm pointed straight, just let her rip?
Overdrive off?

Sorry for all the questions, but i'm sure racing this beast will not be the same as torque-breaking an Accord to 2200 and then flooring it.............that used to be easy! This I'm sure will be an interesting educational experience.

JC

Old 12-05-2001 | 03:32 PM
O/D off and roll into it quickly off idle. Track/traction dependent ofcourse.

Old 12-05-2001 | 03:52 PM
F1s--psi from 27-32lbs--start 'high', then drop down if you want to experiment.

Mirrors folded back, tailgate 'up'(and locked-you don't want it 'walking' off when left alone)

Overdrive--off(as per JL), drive around the water, no burnout(won't help-may hurt).

Pre-stage--shift to 'neutral'-blip the throttle(drops IAT--according to Sal[I think?]. May startle the comp.

Back to 'drive', stage, brake, very little or 'no' throttle pressure, 'roll' onto the throttle on the third amber--hard to the floor with the throttle as you move about 5 feet(?) forward.

Hope you do better than I did--I couldn't keep from blowing them up with my mods. I messed up and didn't run her stock.

Dan

Old 12-05-2001 | 04:16 PM
1000 rpm stage & smack if track will let you. If not 1000rpm roll out a car length & smack it

Old 12-05-2001 | 05:02 PM
Judging by your location I would guess you are heading to Moroso tonight for test and tune. I had my first trip there last week and came away learning a little. I was so worried about wheel spin (my truck was stock except for the filter) that I was WAY to easy on the gas. That track is damn sticky at Moroso.

The 2nd run I got on it quicker and STILL didn't spin (and dropped by .3). I think I could've just mashed it and gone........and by the way, my truck would never hook up on the street so it is just a good track I suppose. Don't forget a helmet...the inspection guy gave me a hard time about my old one from the motorcycle days...

GOOD LUCK!! I'll be going Friday night with a camcorder and a friend filming my mistakes!

Old 12-06-2001 | 06:52 AM
|
Well............thanks to a couple of uncontrollable circumstances, no 1/4 mile runs for me last night!!!

First off, there was a dragster car there that was running consistent 7's, but on his last run, he lost control and had a HUGE wreck!!!

About 6-7 emergency vehicles, and was eventually airlifted by chopper.......I hope he's okay, but didn't look like he would be.........shortly thereafter the skies opened up, and it was rained out.....

I guess I'll have to wait till next year, cause next week is the last week the track will be open.

There were about 4 or 5 Lightnings there. I saw a few of them run.

1. Red L: 14.18
2. Red L: 13.98
3. Silver L: 13.41

I didn't get to talk to them or see what they had done if anything cause the track was too packed and you pretty much had to stay with your vehicle the whole time...........at least my friend ran a 12.87 @ 109mph in his NA '92 Mustang GT on slicks.....he ran it with the 2 stock tires, a small compressor, and the jack in the back!!! Not too shabby

JC

Old 12-06-2001 | 08:21 AM
JC I hope the guy in the dragster will be OK.

Let us know when you get back to run the truck.

Old 12-06-2001 | 04:59 PM
If this damn weather lightens up around here I am going to try and run at Moroso on Friday night. Sounds like Wednesday wasn't the best night! Too bad they don't have it available monday-friday!!

Old 12-06-2001 | 10:00 PM
http://www.sffbc.com

Cool S. Florida site . . .

Quick Reply: FIRST TRACK VISIT TONIGHT? How do I launch?