Lightning

Sal-teflon coming off rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2001 | 01:33 AM
|
Sal-teflon coming off rotors?

Hey Sal, saw a post of yours either here or over at NLOC, cant remember which. You said that the teflon coating will come off these rotors and fall onto the inter cooler. Wont this affect peformance if the intercooler gets clogged up top with all that teflon? Can you remove the blower and/or intake to clean it all out? I guess the blower will still be ok after it sheds all that coating. Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I would like to know if there was anything us L owners could do to clean this out and/or prevent it if it hurts performance or restricts the air flow causing damage to the engine. Thanks for your time!

Old 12-09-2001 | 01:54 AM
Shank you Dog,

Can believe you've completly abandoned the poor Expy forum. Man give you a blown pickup and park the Expy. I bet you don't even wash it anymore. Just kidding.

I just washed mine for the first time in about 2-3 months! However, I am finally getting around to doing something else to it! Transgo shift kit, and maybe a Sonnax line mod valve. It goes in this week. It's hell wanting to get great clean shifts and even try to chirp a little, yet have to keep things in check to tow a 7200# boat. Oh well, they're both still a lot of fun!

Old 12-09-2001 | 01:55 AM
My second 99 had the intercooler pulled at 35500. It had leaked about 2 quarts before the replacement was ordered. After the intake removal the rotors had lost a small amount of the teflon along the vanes edge. Really the intake was full of a thick sludge. In retrospect I would say it was the oil drawn into the intake via vacuum. I wonder if Sal recommmends the vent on the valve cover that some install, also if the chip needs to compensate for that air. I'm sure it has been posted so I'll search for myself later. The sludge was like grease. It was enough for Ford to replace the entire motor with the complete crate assembly. By the way My first 99 was hit while my son drove it through an intersection and because of Sal's knowledge and involvement with these trucks and his willingness to write a statement, that I presented to My insurance co., Convinced them to total instead of rebuilding a truck with about 6k on the odometer.
Anyhow it seems like there should be some other coating Eaton could use to coat these for corrosion and or decreased drag. But they know what they are doing....

Old 12-09-2001 | 02:25 AM
|
FamilyRide- HEY!! Your still alive and well I see! LOL! I havent completely abandoned the Expy boards, I still drop in every now and then to see whats going on. Man, you have some post's dont ya? I remember your 500th post being a "momentous ocassion" as you put it. LOL! I cant beleive you havent put a blower on that thing yet! I really dont wash the expy like I use to. But the Lightning is ALWAYS clean.
Goodluck on those mods!!

Quick Reply: Sal-teflon coming off rotors?