Lightning

"Sport Truck" magazine, Feb. 2002 issue--Truck of the Year! (long post)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001 | 06:30 PM
|
"Sport Truck" magazine, Feb. 2002 issue--Truck of the Year! (long post)

"but our Sport Truck of the year tests do not solely focus on performance." (Guess where this is goin'?) "As you would imagine, the Lightning out-accelerated, out-handled, and out-performed every truck , but........"

"The driving experience of the Lightning resembles a Corvette more than a truck." "While at Irwindale Speedway on our road course, we discovered the only thing on the track that could beat the Lightning was the in-house Winston car . " .....the only negative being the whine from the Eaton supercharger."

"........two of us (Lightning and '02 Toyota Tacoma S-Runner) fell back from the convoy and paced each other at 50 mph. With a nod of the head, we were off and the S-Runner was all over the big Blue Oval well into the illegal range. If the Lightning would have missed, sneezed, or farted, the little S-Runner would have had it."

"Truck of the Year
'02 Dodge Ram Sport"

(Don't it make you proud?)

Dan

Old 12-10-2001 | 06:34 PM
ya i swear that makes hella sense....bastards

Old 12-10-2001 | 07:01 PM
Old 12-10-2001 | 09:28 PM
Yeah,
I read that rag from time to time. Quote...".....the only negative being the whine from the Eaton supercharger." When I saw that, all credability was lost. HOLY CRAP, that is the best sound of the whole drivetrain. I wonder how much they were paid, directly or indirectly, for their choice? For me, something about it just doesn't add up. As we are all aware, the other one about the Toyata is a stretch too. The way I look at it, who cares what others think or write. All I know is what I have, and what I will have after a few mods over the holidays. And what I have keeps me smiling when I show others my tail lights!!!
GDG

Old 12-10-2001 | 09:30 PM
Who paid the most money for "the free trip to Vegas" I mean "advertising", it's common practice for all magazines. Whoever gives the best gifts wins, simple as that.

we were off and the S-Runner was all over the big Blue Oval well into the illegal range
So they started at 50mph and were WELL into the illegal range, hmmm, 65mph maybe. LOL

Old 12-10-2001 | 09:34 PM
When we @ JLP get finished with thier 01 lightning 4-mods! They'll see things in a different light! I GAUREENTEE IT! JL

Old 12-10-2001 | 10:33 PM
Yeah like the S-runner can keep up.

And how can you not like the whine of S/C? The only problem with the whine of the S/C is a few people have reported that cops comment on that when they get pulled over.

Also wasn't sport truck the one that said the lightning was to much $$$?

Old 12-10-2001 | 10:47 PM
Bullhocky

With a nod of the head, we were off and the S-Runner was all over the big Blue Oval well into the illegal range.
My '00 is totally stock, with the exception of an additional 150-200 lbs of stereo and bedlid. An aquaintance of mine has a TRD, and I let him actually punch it before I did. From a 50 mph roll, I had 3 trucklengths on him by 80 (my speedo), and was pulling away so fast you couldn't really calculate the distance in 'trucklengths'. We also ran them on a section of twisty road ending in a highway merge ramp, and he was so far behind he was just a dot in the distance.

I don't know what they mean by that statement, but I have another version of 'all over', as in it was 'all over' when I scorched his TRD. I've never been able to force myself to by an issue of Sport Truck, simply because they never built any credibility with me. They want to use the L as a yardstick, but never really pay it any real respect.

Old 12-11-2001 | 10:33 AM
fyi A TRD toyota means that it has upgraded suspension, cosmetics, etc. It doesn't do anything to the engine. You can get various TRD engine mods, e.g., supercharger, headers, exhaust system, etc. I had a Tacoma TRD which I did outfit with the supercharger, exhaust, etc., and it did run extremely well. However, to say that it would stay with an L is rediculous. If you're looking for a TRD to race, you will be disappointed. No competition.

Old 12-11-2001 | 10:44 AM
Posting Rights Suspended
Old 12-11-2001 | 01:14 PM
Talking

That TRD must have been real scary, they clocked it's 0-60 time at 9.38 seconds in that same article. :o

Old 12-11-2001 | 01:29 PM
Talking ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Oh my God! That is too funny, the S-runner pulling on an L?

I didn't know what the S-runner was so I did a quick google search on it, here's what came up....

http://www.truckworld.com/Truck-Test...-toy-srun.html

http://pressroom.toyota.com/mediakit...srunner-r.html

I've never picked up Sport Truck magazine and now I NEVER will. Next thing they'll say that red L's are the fastest and we all know that black is the fastest color .

Old 12-11-2001 | 03:06 PM
I think for 02 that True Blue is the fastest color.

Old 12-11-2001 | 03:58 PM
I wonder how many miles the lightning had on it?

Old 12-11-2001 | 04:13 PM
They clocked the L at (6.53 sec. 0-60), and 14.35 sec. 1/4 @93.08mph. I find this hard to believe in the middle of winter. They probably had some mopar moron driving slow intentionally.

Quick Reply: "Sport Truck" magazine, Feb. 2002 issue--Truck of the Year! (long post)