Lightning

SUBARU WRX vs L

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001 | 10:04 AM
Arrow gtech

I don't think the Gtech is really all that accurate, but the one thing it has is repeatability. I do 0-60 tests all of the time with one and I have ran the exact same time twice in a row about 4 times now. I've used it so much that I can almost guess my time before my run using the outside temperature and how much gas I have.

I think for comparing the two vehicles 0-60 times it should work just fine.

Old 12-13-2001 | 10:07 AM
|
Silver Y2k Svt

Thanks for the info very helpful. I will pass this along to my brother and make him change his mind and not buy a WRX.

Maybe a Mustang or Lightning if the insurance price is right.

Old 12-13-2001 | 10:14 AM
Mustang?

'Expy:

Slow down, Chief. The Lightning is obviously all things wonderful, aside from the reliability issues (well documented and some fixed in the '02). However, I'd take a WRX over a plain-jane Mustang GT, any day of the week (previously discussed WRX issues aside). Now, a Bullitt (pretty sweet) or Cobra (quite sweet) or a Saleen (very sweet), and the decision is MUSTANG.

The garden-variety GT isn't fast enough, doesn't look all that great, is crude (to say the least), and pretty cheap looking/feeling. Plus, everybody on my street has half-a-dozen of them.

Why, oh why, did Ford drop the 5.0 liter V8?

Old 12-13-2001 | 10:14 AM
I have seen the power of the WRX first hand. Out one night doing some street racing and this WRX was cleaning house. Ate a C-5, 5 cars out of the hole was close at the end but he still got the vette buy a car or 2. He raced a buddy of mines 5.0 that has gears exhaust air filter kit and some other stuff done and had him by at least 10 cars at the end. It finally took a Grand National to take the lil WRX out but it was 2 or 3 cars so it still was a good race. the WRX had exhaust turbo intercooler and chip. I cannot remember who did the work but I was very impressed they said mid to low 12's at 110 or so at the track and well I would believe it. Definately stock WRX against a Stock L would be a good race!

Greg

Old 12-13-2001 | 12:35 PM
found and killed yet another wrx....that is two now, well actually it was the same kid. they are quick cars and with some work they could be really quick. but as i posted before stock for stock the L will take it everytime as long as is it is dry. hopefully this will put this topic to rest.

Old 12-13-2001 | 12:52 PM
DB
Subaru is shipping the new WRX STi to Europe and Japan for '02, will come to the US in '03/'04. Horsepower is up to 280 (from the current 227), accompanied by a 6-speed manual, big Brembo brakes, and an advanced limited slip differential in each axle. The STi will even have a switchable water sprayer for the intercooler to help the turbo deliver maximum efficiency (courtesy Popular Mechanics).

Old 12-13-2001 | 05:22 PM
I think the fastest color will win !
Maybe Silver-Y2K-SVT's answer was a bit better than mine

Old 12-13-2001 | 05:28 PM
|
that was funny lol

what if they are both the same color ?

Old 12-13-2001 | 05:31 PM
An L would smoke Subaru, even more past 60mph.

Old 12-13-2001 | 06:32 PM
sti

can't wait till those sti models come to the US. they will be nice little cars.

A

Old 12-13-2001 | 07:52 PM
30,000 dollar nice little cars

Old 12-13-2001 | 08:09 PM
well...

compared to 40k Audi S4 and BMW XI, yes.. 30k is great.

cheaper, faster, better handling.

Old 12-13-2001 | 10:30 PM
There was a WRX at the track the first night I ran my stock (at the time) Lightning. I ran a 14.0 in the warm weather with my S#@$tty, not-agressive-enough-launch and he ran a 14.8.

Stock-for stock...no comparison. Especially considering he posted times pretty close to the magazine times.

I like the idea of AWD in the WRX...but I'm not a fan of it's exterior/interior styling. It has the stealth factor...but I guarantee it won't ever be a head-turner...except for those who know about it's potential. Maybe it would serve as a good commuter car up north---with the ability to spank Civic's/Acura's at will!!

Old 12-14-2001 | 05:51 AM
Rest In Peace
From: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
Bear with me, long post...

Alright guys here's my .02,

I have two friends that have these little monsters. One is keeping his stock, and the other well, lets just say he's heir to the throne (as far as street racing and Royalty, my 11secc. AWD talon buddy is currently King, up here ofcourse).

The one that is keeping his stock, got his a good 10-12 months ago. Our scheduals often conflict, so we never got to line them up. But he has driven my truck, and I his WRX. Launching at anything under 3k rpms would by lilke us launching from an off-ignition-then-flooring-it-while-starting-it-then-hanging-on. It has very little power below 3 rpms. Anything at-above 3k, and they are in their sweet spot. Kinda like us at 65mph (or <19mph), and stock so to say. Last time we met, he knew the Lightning would absolutly without question beat the WRX. I was stock at the time. I do remember him quoting 6.1 0-60 time from the brochure. We "G-Teched" my other friend's Integra Type R at 6.1, and IT was stock, FWD AND rated at only 197 crank hp. It still felt faster!! It would be very safe to say that my WRX friend had mucho confidence against the TypeR to 60, but knew he would be behind at 70. He knew better than to race the truck because he knows better, and he didnt want to abuse his clutch.

My other friend on the other hand...

I think he's got connections in Australia. Thats where all the aftermarket companies are at for these little ****ers. They have been there for about as long as our Lightnings have been on the road. The aftermarket has indeed caught up with them. That WRX and the TypeR have raced. Both modded. The WRX ofcourse had the lead at first, yet shutdown was pre-mature (for a 1/4 mile race), yet long enough for a street race. Story was that the TypeR would have passed the WRX around 80 or so. 3rd gear in that car is like our fourth gear, I hear. The fastest the R went at the track was 14.0.

More recently, the modded WRX raced the almighty king himself. The 11.8sec. talon. Granted that might not be all that fast across the US, but that is the damn fastest completely street driven vehicle up here. The guy takes it to 7-11 to get a candybar. or to check his mail. Anyhow I hear they lined up, and the talon only pulled 1-2 cars on him to about 60-70. He was thinking low 13s for mere bolt-ons (filter-downpipe-powerpipe-and maybe a boost controller--a wastegate was heard and he might have even put in a larger turbo). Its kinda funny the car is so new, and despite the fact that we've known the guy for a while, he's still a little hush-hush about his mods.

Its okay though...I should be ready next summer. I know he wants to run the truck at the track. We've got the friendly rivalry thing going on. Big domestic truck vs. small AWD import (which is a subsidiary of GM btw).

Old 12-14-2001 | 10:17 AM
Talking

Lemme share a recent experience from last weekend. Met a cool WRX owner at a local gathering of fellow car enthusiasts and he asked to run against my stock L for fun. I think his WRX was stock except for the green neon light kit under the car - even if he did have mods I wasn't worried because it was only for fun.

Anyway, we line up at the light and when it turns green I see him chirp all four and jump out in front of me while I scrabbled for traction. As soon as I hooked up I left him in the dust and got on the brakes at 80 mph so everyone could see me shut it down before he even caught up with me.

We line up again at the next light, and this time I got a little excited and stomped on the pedal instead of rolling into it. (REMINDER TO SELF: RELAX AND ROLL INTO THROTTLE - DON'T EVER MASH IT). So I sit there drifting to the right, wallowing in my own tire smoke for almost 3 seconds while he gets a good launch and pulls out a few car lengths. I am laughing at this point (fascinated and captivated by the smoke around my bed) and assumed the race was over due to my poor launch. But I decide to give chase for fun and finally hook up after letting off the gas a bit. The L lunged forward and I couldn't believe how quickly I reeled in that WRX. 3 car lengths disappeared by 70 mph and I went by him at a considerably faster speed before we both shut it down and laughed about it at the next light.

I was impressed with the WRX's AWD launches, but surprised at how easily I caught up to him too. Seems like they lose some steam right where the L is just getting warmed up. Stock for stock, I think your L should win to 60 mph, just remember to ROLL into the throttle and never, ever punch it. Good launches are easy to repeat once you've practiced and programmed yourself to exercise a little discipline with your right foot.

Last edited by BMWBig6; 12-14-2001 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: SUBARU WRX vs L