Lightning

Pulling the Tranny on this pig!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling the Tranny on this pig!

So I'm going to end up pulling the tranny and having it rebuilt by factory tech! I figured I might aswell get the best stuff for her since this next season is going to be a rough tranny season, HAHAHAHAHA.

Does anybody have a detailed instructions for pulling this tranny. I know the basic's but I'm just looking for anything that would help me with little tricks or wires that I can't see from under the truck. I'll be laying on a jack stand doing this, HAHAHAHA. I know.

Anybody heading out to factory techs area anytime soon, I'll give you 150 bucks to drop off my tranny and bring home my new one while your out there, HAHAHAHAH.

Later guys,

JOE

Old 12-17-2001, 09:27 AM
Location: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
laying on a jack stand? OUCH

Old 12-17-2001, 10:14 AM
whoops, I didn't see that. Laying on creeper I mean

Old 12-17-2001, 10:54 AM
Location: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Having replaced a T5 with a Tremec in my Mustang using the jackstand/creeper/floorjack method, I would highly discourage doing so to remove a Lightning Transmission (read: big heavy ba$tard)

Maybe 'Tech, JL, Sal, JDM could help with what one of these monsters weigh before you and Eddy delve into this project.

Old 12-17-2001, 11:04 AM
Harbor Frt sells a tranny adaptor that fits a floor jack for $29

Old 12-17-2001, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Speedin Bob
Having replaced a T5 with a Tremec in my Mustang using the jackstand/creeper/floorjack method, I would highly discourage doing so to remove a Lightning Transmission (read: big heavy ba$tard)

Maybe 'Tech, JL, Sal, JDM could help with what one of these monsters weigh before you and Eddy delve into this project.

I know its going to be a pain to do, but I really have no choice. The least I can say is that I have some good jack stands and I got my truck a good 3 feet maybe 3.5 feet in the air so it shouldn't be to difficult, HAHAHAHAHA.

Eddie told me that he would come do it when I was at work and only charge me 500 bucks. After changing the shift kit, I might consider that offer, HAHAHAHA

Old 12-17-2001, 12:38 PM
It must be a pain because I dropped off my 01 L last Tuesday, the 11th to get the leaking rear main seal(s) replaced. They said they'd have to pull the tranny.......
The latest is that I'll get the truck back tonight......must be quite the project.........

Old 12-17-2001, 02:40 PM
Flat backing a tranny is no fun. Drain the fluid first. Probably will have to block up the rear of the motor depending on where the motor mounts are located. Might help to slightly lower the rear of the motor before you block it up. Tranny will have to move straight back 2-3 inches before the input shaft will clear. Floor jack for sure, it is one heavy *****.

Old 12-17-2001, 07:00 PM
RTKILLA, I could email you a few pages from my manual. I think clonetek has a ford CD seriice manual for the truck.

He is somewhere close to you in the Chicago area.

Old 12-17-2001, 08:20 PM
On your back 3 feet in the air ? Sounds like your gonna have some real fun dude. I would seriously reccomend trying to find someone to pull it out for you with a lift. they are not that hard to pull out but on the ground without a lift sounds like a nightmare. I am just now beginning to remember replacing a certain tuners trans in his lightning its was not that bad good luck

Old 12-17-2001, 08:33 PM
Talking

Make freinds with a tranny only shop mechanic or a mechanic that knows a tranny only tech. I had new forward and direct clutches,a pi stall put in after hours at one of these places for 450.00. This also would have included a shift kit but the one i had previously installed shifted harder so i left it in. All of this took less than three hours and this guy new his sh*t and probably made 8 times his normal daytime hourly rate. I watched him take the tranny out and because they work on other super duty trannys,beefing up the clutchpacks for snowplowing ect and have all the proper equiptment,this ends up being gravy for them.So if you can't swing having factory tech do it,this is always an option.

Quick Reply: Pulling the Tranny on this pig!