Lightning

anyone in the Detroit please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2001, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy anyone in the Detroit please help

nothin but bad luck with this lightning. this thing is falling apart, everytime i turn the key to start it something wrong happens. i need a good mechanic that is in the detroit area that know how to fix trucks, the L especially. i just took it to the dealer to get the alignment fixed and i just found out ford considers alignment maintenance so that cost me $200 not to mention it starts hard and idles funny when i put the defrost on, but anyway they told me everything was fixed and sure enough nothing was, still the same problems it had before. i feel like i gave them $200 to just watch the damn thing its like the just handed it back to me without touching it. i hate taking it to the dealer but if anyone knows a good mechanic in the detroit area i would be happy to give him a try. thanks

Old 12-22-2001, 11:04 PM
WhtSvt,
Where did you take your "L" for service?

Old 12-23-2001, 11:03 AM
i took it to southgate ford. a friend told me to go there. they have good service, but i dont think the mechanics know what they are doing.

Old 12-23-2001, 12:22 PM
I hear North. Brothers Ford is ok! I haven't taken the L in for service or warrenty work, so i can't tell you on personal experience where to go. What year is your L and are you still under warrenty?

A few on here in the area may share their opinion on dealers they have had good luck with. Hold out and see if a few others can throw you some names to contact.

FYI. The hard starting and rough idle may be plugs or a coil. When you turn on the climate control system it puts a load on the engine and makes it worse. I had the same problem when I had a plug going bad. Where ever you take it, see about having them check the cooling line that is over the #4 coil to make sure coolant is not leaking on it. Some here have had that problem .

I would get new plugs and see if you can get the dealer to change them using the rough idle as an excuse. If you have any mods on the engine I suggest you take them off.

Best of luck!

Old 12-23-2001, 01:16 PM
demmer

jack demmer is good
they replaced my taillight and foglight no questions asked they also fixed the clunk

Old 12-23-2001, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the headsup on Southgate. I live only a couple miles from them, but have yet to take a vehicle into them for service. I've always used Gorno down in Woodhaven, but then I haven't had to use them much with my last three F150's. (knocking on wood).

Old 12-23-2001, 02:30 PM
Smile

i have a 99 and the warranty is almost up i have about 2000 miles to go. thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it and have a safe and merry christmas.

Old 12-23-2001, 04:40 PM
I have had good luck so far with Bill Brown.

N. Bros would be my second choice for mechanical repairs.

Old 12-23-2001, 06:35 PM
Ive always had good luck with Gorno Ford. All except for the alignment problem, which they said they fixed it, but it never was. Of course its still not right, and I had to buy new tires. All other problems were handled very well with them though...

Old 12-23-2001, 08:27 PM
Okay everyone, I'm gonna give you all a Christmas present right here on this forum. Fred Grande Ford in Richmond Mi. is the only dealer I would even consider taking my L to!! No *****! They have a couple of very good mechanics and they love working on the L's. They are on top of warranty repairs, they are friendly and accommodating. Also, they are honest and treat our babies with tender respect. i myself drive about 40 miles (one way) to get there but there is never a problem at pick up time. I know they come from as far away as Sandusky, Ohio too! Merry Christmas to All and to All a good Tune!!!

Old 12-24-2001, 01:10 PM
You guys in the area go into hibernation yet??

Old 12-24-2001, 01:41 PM
I will not be able to go into hibernation. I had to drive in the snow yesterday in Bloomfield Hills. The roads on the expressway were horable. I was driving at like 15 mph. I did not think the Lightning would be THAT much worse then my firebird!

Old 12-24-2001, 01:51 PM
Yep, been in hibernation since about the beginning of December, although on the nice, sunny days, the L will see the streets.

Old 12-24-2001, 01:56 PM
Wink Nap Time

Yup I have been in hibernation for about 2 months already. She is up on stands covered in the garage with the wheels off. I can't wait till the spring. But I love working on my L while it is up in the air (read...easy access) I got alot going on this winter so I will always be busy doing something with the L.

---Joe

Old 12-24-2001, 03:38 PM
Thumbs up

Got my Baby tucked for the winter also! Don't want to drive it in the salt. Going to be installing a 4# pulley and Jdms Lift bars over the winter. Come on Springtime!

Quick Reply: anyone in the Detroit please help