Lightning

Caltraks vs. tuktraks

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2001, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caltraks vs. tuktraks

Whats the big difference between the two? The truktraks are a little cheaper. Do you get what you paid for in this situation?

Old 12-24-2001, 12:39 AM
The Truck Tracks are a slapper bar type design. The bar attaches to the spring and acts like lever when the axle wraps up. When the axle wraps up, the front of the bar goes up and presses against the spring. So the axle will wrap up some, but only a small amount.

The Cal Tracs are a torque arm type design. The bar attaches to the axle it self on one end and to the front spring eye bushing on the other. The Cal Tracs are adjustable to pre-load and free axle movement. When pre loaded, all the slack is already taken up. So there is no wrap up in the suspension.

Though we have never tried the Truck Tracs on our truck, I would say the Cal Tracs are well worth the money and time to install. I would try contacting Sal about it. He sells both and has used both.

Old 12-24-2001, 01:15 AM
i will be installing trucktracks just because 1) it does its purpose 2) easy to install 3) 200-300 cheaper then the rest

Old 12-24-2001, 04:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Truck-Traks. I would like to say they are well made and indeed do the job that they where intended to do

Old 12-24-2001, 05:26 AM
dont know if your truck is lowered but sal said truck tracks are better for lowered trucks. so if your truck is lowered or you plan on it, go with the truck tracks.

Old 12-24-2001, 08:25 AM
Grimlock
I don't have any personal experiance with the truck tracks, but I have had both the Cal Tracs and the JDM traction bars.

The Cal Tracs worked ok at the track, but were a pain in the butt on the street. They ralltled, made all kinds of nioses, and loaded and unloaded on bumps on the street. I ended up disconecting the bars on the street and then crawling under the truck to hook them up when I went to the track.

I now Have the JDM traction bars and love them. They work great on the track, and you don't notice them on the street. If anything the truck handles better with them on.

Here is a pic

Old 12-24-2001, 11:52 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. Does anyone have a price on the JDM bars?
Don:
You seem to hve had better luck with the JDM type. Do they attach at the same place the Caltraks do? Are they also adjustable?

Old 12-25-2001, 12:49 AM
Pete,

The JDM peice (Rancho) connects the axle in the same place the Cal-Tracs do. But the JDM peice attaches to the frame rail and it not adjustable.

Here are some pics of the Cal-Tracs:

Front eye spring bushing mount:

Rear Axle mount:

What can be seen from the outside:

Old 12-25-2001, 12:56 AM
Talking

What Don said. I love my JDM nee Rancho bars. Pricy, but Jim has put in a lot of work on adapting them to our trucks, and they do not compromise towing or handling. No gratuitous noise at all. In the immortal words of the Monkees', "I'm a believer".

Old 12-25-2001, 09:34 AM
If you want some 60ft. #s on the Truck-Traks I was running a 1.84 60ft before and a 1.77 after. If I would have had time to tune them a little I know I could have shaved another .02-.03 off the 60ft. Note that I was running a 26" MT and a 2600 stall.

Old 12-25-2001, 10:53 AM
Sorry for being stupid, but what do they do, just give you better traction? And someone said that you could not notice them on the street, why is that?
thanx,
Justin

Old 12-25-2001, 11:33 AM
Talking They work

Hey Lightning Boy you also have a rear main seal leak

Crazy Foo.......I have the Truck Traks and think they definately give you more traction on the street. Sure you still can't just floorboard the pedal, but you sure as hell can leave more aggresively. And you can feel the truck leave in a straighter line. A truck without them will come off higher on the left front tire than the right front tire. Maybe that was a little confusing but hopefully you followed me.

Check this out it will answer all your questions......
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...=How+they+work

---Joe

Quick Reply: Caltraks vs. tuktraks