Lightning

CHip QUestions??? (Any tuners outhere)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2001 | 11:22 AM
|
CHip QUestions??? (Any tuners outhere)

My question is and am sorry if it has being asked before. Well i want to chip my truck but am also worry abotu reliability of it over the next 4 years since i will be going to college. I would like to make it without having alot of major expenses. I do know that they will come up but how will the chip affect this??????

Old 12-24-2001 | 12:49 PM
Do you race at the track at all? It sounds like you've got a really nice looking truck from looking at your mods. My advice is if your your not worried about shaving a few tenths off your time slip than don't even chip it. You will never be able to tell it on the street because of traction problems you will start having on the road. If you want to do something to help your performance and longevity of your truck get a shift kit. This will make your truck feel better and its better on the tranny. Now if you do race at the track the chip is deffinitely the biggest bang for your buck, but go ahead and get the shift kit to.

Old 12-25-2001 | 12:33 PM
|
TTT, and yeah i go to the track everyonce in a while not religiously though. SO maybe a street Program in the chip should be my opption. Anybody?

Old 12-25-2001 | 05:33 PM
'Streetchips'

are quick too--see my sig.--run on a street chip and dynoed on another. As to reliability, I drive mine daily--have almost 18,000 miles now and never a hiccup .

Dan

Old 12-25-2001 | 09:45 PM
Black2000L,

Bottom line no matter what anyone says, anytime you modify any vehicle to produce more power, then all bets are off as far as built in reliability for say, the 100,000 mile mark. When a manufacturer designs a vehicle it is designed for that particular hp and torque that it is produced. Some vehicles can be built to produce more HP and still can be amazingly reliable (an example of this would be the Supra TT, it was WAY overengineered for its stock hp), other vehicles get altered slightly and reliability issues come about (been there done that and have alot of personal experience). If you read through the prior posts some people have experienced some reliability issues after certain mods, others have not, and others have experienced problems running bone stock.

But, if you are looking to gain some performance, but are concerned about reliability. Then get a multi program chip. This way you can have side 1 set up completely and totally stock (including the 4 injector cutout at WOT), but then on side 2 have a "street performance" burn. That way when you want the extra power hit the switch and have instant power gains. Use side 2 at the track and side 1 on the street.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-26-2001 | 09:28 PM
|
TTT. Thanks to those that have responded.

Quick Reply: CHip QUestions??? (Any tuners outhere)