Lightning

More lowering questions (please help)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2001, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question More lowering questions (please help)

Ok, I already did a search and that answered some of my questions, but a few are left. Sorry if you guys are tired of this subject . I want to lower my 2000 L. I was thinking 1" in the front and 2" in the back. I want the truck to handle well as well as look better. I don't care much about towing. I see there are several kits but I had questions about each of them. I know the FRPP kit is the cheapest/easiest route, but I've read a couple of things about the shackles screwing up the rear handling (something about the rear end shifting back and forth). Is this true, and if so, how would I solve it? If I used the Hotchkis (or other) rear springs to lower the rear of the truck, would they create handling issues? I've seen issues with the sway bars after you lower the truck. I wanted to put aftermarket (larger) sway bars on it anyway, so would they solve the problem? Does anyone know if someone makes bigger sway bars for the L? I've also seen some composite rear springs that claim they reduce weight by 80 lbs. Do these springs also lower the rear of the truck? Now, about shocks... I wanted to use the Bilstein shocks like the '01 L's have, but would lowering my truck require me to use some other kind of special shocks? Ok, last question... I know I would have to have the truck aligned, but do I have to buy some adjustable alignment kit for the shop to properly align it? I think I'm done now. All answers are GREATLY appreciated. Sorry for all the questions, but I do love this truck and don't want to ruin any aspect of it. I'm just looking to give it a slightly lower look and make it handle a little bit more like my dad's Z06 (I know, I know, it'll NEVER handle THAT good). Again, thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by NXsilversvt; 12-25-2001 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-25-2001, 10:41 PM
Cool Just my personal opinion, but..........

If you want handling above everything else, go with a complete suspension kit like Hotchkis or Roush. The shocks are tuned to work in the area required by lowering the truck. Hotchkis will get you the drop you're looking for. Roush is a much more severe drop.

I'm happy with the Roush, but you give up other things when you go with a tuned suspension. If you want to drop without a tuned suspension, thats OK, but you may actually hurt the handling characteristic of the stock suspension (which is actually quite good).

Unfortunately, dropping the truck won't do anything about the biggest handicap the Lightning has which is weight.

Old 12-25-2001, 11:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Just my personal opinion, but..........

Originally posted by sixpipes
If you want handling above everything else, go with a complete suspension kit like Hotchkis or Roush. The shocks are tuned to work in the area required by lowering the truck. Hotchkis will get you the drop you're looking for. Roush is a much more severe drop...
Tuned shocks are available for the Roush system. If you stick with the stock spring rates, the stock shocks work well.

See NLOC Road Racing/HP driving for more info.

Old 12-26-2001, 12:30 AM
Thumbs up

I considered using shackles and hangers in the rear and a lower control are up front to achieve a a 3/4 drop. I believe this will work well because you end up keeping the factory springs that handle just fine.. The only issue that needs to be dealt with is shortening the swaybar endlinks to keep them properly aligned. Just add shocks and this setup will work really well. It should help the handling because it will lower the center of gravity.

Old 12-26-2001, 09:44 AM
Shorter end links (front) and dog bones (rear) are readily available from Energy Suspension or Prothane. They do not have Lightning or F-150 specific applications so it will take a little measuring to find the right ones. The Hotchkis sway bar kit comes with these. I am currently running the full Hotchkis kit and like it. The only short coming is shocks. With the addition of a good quality adjustable shock (like Spike & Ruslow) it will be dialed in. Shackles out back won't help in your handling as well as proper springs.

My winter plans call for the addition of a traction bar setup, pan-hard rod, and relocating the rear shocks. Once that is done the I will pursue the tuned shocks and be pretty well dialed in.

Try a search under Hotchkis Install and you should be able to find the details and photos of my install. At least I think it is still on here it was quite awhile ago.

Old 12-26-2001, 10:39 AM
The hothckis springs will lower and help out handling. They will create a stiffer ride though. I don't mind it all, but my friend follow me down the highway once and was amazed at how much the truck bounced. The problem with Hotchkis springs is right now the only shocks available for it are $$$$$$ and need a special mounting kit, view NLOC link that Spike posted. Personally I don't know how the shocks are (1st quarter 02' mod) but Spike said they make the world off difference.

The Rousch kit the most expensive way to lower but it is a complete kit, springs and shocks.

You could also check out the SoCal kit.

Also see link in sig.

Silver-Bolt - are you gong to have both shocks pointing towards the rear ( \ ) instead of staggard?

Old 12-26-2001, 12:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Other items I forgot to mention:
- Ruslow should have kit available soon which will make the stock sway bars adjustable.

- A panhard bar prevents the rear end from steering itself during hard cornering and is adjustable (if you need) for different track conditions.

- Don't drop it too much in the front unless you enjoy bumpsteer.

- If you don't add a suspension system, but rather replace it with something else, make sure you understand how all the components will effect the handling. There is a car setup guide link in the "spring rate" topic.

Old 12-26-2001, 03:32 PM
hey how much does the Rousch complete kit go for ?????????????

Old 12-26-2001, 03:39 PM
Capt,
I plan to locate both rear shocks behind the axle in a more verticle location.

I believe the complete Roush kit run $1500-$1800 depending where you buy it.

Old 12-26-2001, 06:13 PM
Gents, I wish I had seen this thread earlier. I just lowered my truck on the 23rd with the Ground Force 1/2 drop. The trucks stance is great but the handling characteristics have decreased slightly. I have not installed shocks or aligned it yet. I am going to wait until I get new tires in january. The ride is more bouncier and it feels like the front wheels are breaking contact went cornering on uneven surfaces. Not cool. It seems to track better around turns on smooth surfaces though.
If I had to do it all over again, I would have done a shock upgrade and installed some urethane bushings when I had the front end torn apart. On a good note, I learned alot about front end work.
I am going to order some shocks but am not sure which ones. Recommendations are appreciated. If new shocks don't improve handling then it's time to get either a Hotchkiss or Rousch setup as sixpipes said earlier. Have a good day. R/S Dennis

BrianK will post some pictures of the install and my truck soon.

Quick Reply: More lowering questions (please help)