Lightning

I have faced fear!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001 | 10:13 AM
I'm 40ish and the L is the first automatic I have owned. I still find myself wanting to stab for the clutch.

When I teach my son to drive I'm going to go get a rental car with a manual. Do rental companies even have manual cars anymore?

Old 12-27-2001 | 11:21 AM
I've rented cars from Enterprise, and they told me there are very few, if any rental places that rent cars with manual trannys, since there is too much liability involved. I'm guessing only the exotic car rental places will offer manuals (with a high price tag to boot).

I learned how to drive on manual cars, and it took me a few weeks to get it smooth enough where I wouldn't jerk or stall the engine. I actually think it's easier to run the manual trannny of a motorcycle than on a car, since the shifter and clutch throws are much shorter, and managing the clutch with my left hand is much easier than using my un-coordinated left leg/foot to run a car clutch. With enough practice you'll be an expert.

Old 12-27-2001 | 12:18 PM
I know what you mean...

Spent three hours with dad and learned alittle. But spent and hour by my self and go to be smooth and with in less than a week I was banging the gears. All of this with my Nissan 2.4L 5spd Pickup.

Old 12-27-2001 | 12:26 PM
I figured the rentals would not be available anymore; perhaps from one of the off-brands such as "Rent A Reck" or something. I learned on a tractor, honda SL70 and a VW bug.

Old 12-27-2001 | 12:51 PM
I learned on a stick (and YES, AT were invented way back then). Took my drivers test with a stick. Flunked the first test for speeding. It has always come very easy, never had a problem even with a Hewland gearbox. The L is my second AT car, I never thought I'd own a AT. When I was young, dumb, and full of *um, my daily driver was a big-block manual trans car, it ran 10.32 @ 133.
Practice, Practice, Practice,,,,,,,,with someone elses car.
Look for a Mustang Convert. rental car or maybe a Jeep CJ.

Old 12-27-2001 | 01:31 PM
CHIT! the first time I ever road a bike was kinda scary.

I had a hard time getting the damn thing to go and when I did it went.

the funny thing is the first bike I ever road was an XR100 and I got on it and flipped it right over on its a$$!

Old 12-27-2001 | 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_!
RILOATM - You need to get out more... LOL
There has been one thing I've learned from trying to get my masters in electrical engineering....

1. EE students have no money
2. EE students have no life

Okay, two things

Just waiting for my wife to graduate in may and then we can rake in some dough hopefully.

Then you know what comes next....L. Or maybe a vette. With ford's new explorer and expedition. I just hope they won't change the L until I get mine. One things for sure, it's gonna be hard to get used to an automatic. In the last 6 trucks they've all had a manual tranny.

Old 12-27-2001 | 02:07 PM
Thumbs up

HA HA HA, Daniel thats a Really Good Topic!

I used to work at Bob Ciasulli Toyota here in Jersey, sold three cars that were manual, and I still do not know how to drive stick! I'm 19, and I can't imagine when I'll learn, probably never or maybe eventually!

It was really funny though. I sold a Toyota Camry CE totally base, guy couldn't even afford automatic tranny... I go in to deliver the car and I can't even start that bitch! Who could possibly known that you had to step on the clutch to start it??? Certainly not me! I'm glad it didn't start though, I don't know how much damage I would have done if it started and I decided to try using the stick to bring it around the block! Good thing there are prep people at the dealership!!!!

--Russ

Old 12-27-2001 | 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Jerzey
I sold a Toyota Camry CE totally base, guy couldn't even afford automatic tranny...
--Russ
Why would you want to invest any more $$$ than you have too.
He spent ALOT more than I would on a Camry. I can sure think of a few things I would spend my $$$ on other than a Camry.

Old 12-27-2001 | 02:26 PM
I learned to drive on a stick. That's all my parents had at the time. Every car since has been a stick for me except for the L.

my first car give to me was a 85' Dodge Caravan Manual that's right I said stick, 5spd

I had this bad habbit while learning of putting it in reverse to start. 1st and reverse where both up there, had to pull up this thing to put it in reverse. Let's just say I liked to pull that release up too often.

Old 12-27-2001 | 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Redneck Ferrari

Why would you want to invest any more $$$ than you have too.
He spent ALOT more than I would on a Camry. I can sure think of a few things I would spend my $$$ on other than a Camry.
Hey no dissrespect or anything but I used to think the same way as you are about imports until I started working for Toyota! Let me tell you, they might look like **** (which they don't) they might drive like **** (which they don't) and they might be imports (which not all of them are, some are assembled in US of A heh) But they are pretty damn reliable cars!!! Certainly beat Ford or Chebby the first few years of ownership on maintenance and other minor things that could go wrong...

But hey... every car in my driveway is a Ford so let me stop promoting Toyota here... heh!

Old 12-27-2001 | 03:23 PM
|
Well, this car is a 1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 ... its a limited edition (only 3000 in 1991/1992) car, single turbo, 4-wheel steering, all-wheel drive sedan...

Its really pretty nice...its in good condition, has 161k miles on it. The NADA book values it at $5145, KBB values it at ~$4k. My friend wants $3600 for it.

For $4k, there is a DSM shop near me that will hand it back to me in a week with 300hp. lol...

Decisions, decisions.

Daniel

Old 12-27-2001 | 03:36 PM
|
BTW, the "alternate" winter beater I was thinking of getting was a Tauros SHO... There are a few late 90's around me for $8500 or so.

Daniel

Old 12-27-2001 | 05:39 PM
Well I learned how to drive a stick at work in this big blue old thomas english muffin truck that the company had and it took me a day but I didnt have a chance to say no ...no drive no job. But I think a truck is a little easier then a car. If U decide to not get it let me know cause I might be interested...if u want then I might have a Astro van for sale???
Later
Smok'n L

Old 12-27-2001 | 06:10 PM
Dan - like I said, if you decide against the VR4 let me know. I will call your friend.

Quick Reply: I have faced fear!