Lightning

1-2 Shift Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001 | 03:03 PM
|
1-2 Shift Problems?

I have a PSP 4-way chip and I just noticed that 1-2 shift does not seam as strong as it once was. I tried both the tow and street settings and they are both the same at WOT. I have not tried the 2-3 since I have felt the problem but I believe it is still stronge. The shift points are still the same it just doesn't seam as strong. I guess I could be getting use to the shift but I want to check and see if this could be a problem.

Old 12-28-2001 | 03:07 PM
Make sure your getting good contact on your chip to PCM. Reset your computer by pulling the negative side of the battery for a few minutes!!!

Or, You may be getting use to it for sure buddy!!!!

Old 12-28-2001 | 06:27 PM
I had the same problem with a JDM chip. I switched over to a PSP after sending it back to Sal for a reburn and it seems better, but I'm a little concerned too. Have you done anything else to your transmission? What type of fluid are you running? I put a transgo shift kit in and am using Mobil 1 tranny fluid. I'm hoping this doesn't turn out to be another issue to deal with.

-W

Old 12-29-2001 | 01:03 AM
Exclamation

That's what happens to the trannies when you chip these trucks.

http://nloc.org/ubb/Forum2/HTML/004489.html

Might as well get ready to send yours to Gregg Evans or Level 10 and get it rebuilt right.

Old 12-29-2001 | 01:40 AM
I dont know exactly how to comment about the chip causing ALL the problems. Most of the problems I have seen are due to misuse & abuse. Trying to manually shift these trucks is very hard on the tranny's. There is a guy here who has been through 3 doing it. Alot of guys have stock tranny's (or Line valved, Factory Tech Valve body) and have had no problems. I understand the factory program limiting the shift & all, but That is fords way of detuning as well. Its a hard one to think about to me, powerbraking, manual shifts, exsessive heat, neautal drops & things like that usually cause most tranny problems. The Chip could have some, but I think its more abuse or hardware failure....

If you change your fluid & filter reguarly, I think the stock one should last awhile!!!!

Old 12-29-2001 | 04:58 PM
Im having a similar problem (I think)

The 1-2 shift just doesnt seem as crisp and strong as it once did.

I don't do any manual shifting, neutral drops, things like that..

I've manually shifted it a few times at the drag strip to lock it in 2nd gear for the burn out...but thats all.

I wonder if its time to pull the chip, put on a caged pulley and take it back to the dealership?

Factory-Tech maybe you can help here? Can I just get the chip reburned for no line-pressure, at one of your valve bodies and live happily ever after or should I *gasp* take it to the dealership?

Thanks!

-Dale

Mods:
JDM Flip Chip, JL 3# pulley, JDM Air Kit, Borla Exhaust, Boost Bypass Kit

Old 12-29-2001 | 05:14 PM
I had 50000 on a 99 with a PSP chip...raised the line pressure and never had any problems...I did not baby the truck...never even changed fluid.

Old 12-30-2001 | 11:45 AM
Hmmmmm

My trucks at the dealer as we speak cause the trans was acting funny. And the cnvertor was whining when i would slow down to come to a stop.

I was out 1 nite playing around and it didnt wanna shift the 1-2 so i pulled the chip and the trans stared shifting HARD, even barks the 1-2 at times now, But i can feel it slipping at times.

I dont now if it was from towing, or the chip but when i get my truck back im gonna get the Factory tech shift kit and a new chip.

Old 12-30-2001 | 11:59 AM
Hmmmm, Ive noticed this with mine lately as well. The 1-2 shift isnt as firm as it use to be. It kinda "slides" into 2nd now whereas use to it was pretty firm. I dont abuse mine and it only has 4000 miles on it (01). When its cold it seems to be ok, but after it warms up is when it starts acting up.

Old 12-30-2001 | 03:46 PM
Exactly what mine is doing.

Uh-oh...

Maybe this is a common thing? Maybe a valve-body will cure it? I dunno, but I don't think I wanna take a chance of putting the valve body in and having the same problem and having to take it back out again to goto the dealership.

Just take it to the dealership first.

Oh-well..

-Dale

Old 12-30-2001 | 03:54 PM
If you haven't talked to Sal about the problem call him. I had something similar happen to mine and I needed a reburn. It took care of my problems.

Quick Reply: 1-2 Shift Problems?