Lightning

spark plugs....urrghhh

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2001, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spark plugs....urrghhh

got my ngk's and decided to install them today. I'm into it for about 3.5 hours and still have two more to do. I'll finish tomorrow. Damn rubber boots were comming off the coil packs!! None of my plugs were loose that i've pulled, nor were any damaged. All had a purplish tint on them though, thought that only happened with juice? My truck is bone stock. I must say....anyone swapping plugs, do the drivers side first, that way you can appreciate how nice the passenger side is. Any tips to removing the back two plugs on the driver's side without removing the fuel rail....these look like they'll be a charmer.

Old 12-29-2001, 10:02 PM
tallimeca,
I found the best way is with a couple of extentions and a couple of swivels, and don't forget about a good magnet so you don't loose the little bolts that hold the coil pacs down.. I also take all the crap out of the way, it only takes a couple extra minutes to remove all the little hoses and plugs, and if you pay attention you will remember where they all went.
After you do it a couple of times you should be able to get the job done in about an hour or so. I have changed mine three times, plus have helped on someone elses truck before. It will get better..
Bill

Old 12-29-2001, 10:07 PM
Cool

You are right about those two plugs. They will make or break you. Unhooking the plugin to the fuel injector helps on the third one back. Unplug any hoses or wires that might block your vision or be in the way just don't forget to hook them back up. On most trucks the third one is the worst but I did one where the last one was a real pain. Their only redeeming quaility is the holes slant toward you. Here is a link to my sparkplug page that tells more about dealing with the 7mm bolt on the third coil pack.
Sparkplugs

Old 12-29-2001, 11:01 PM
Just practice, I can do them all in an hour and a half. The right tool makes all the difference. Snap-On makes all there sockets much thinner than other brands. Also having a long etension with a universal then a 4" extension with the socket on the end of that, you can reach over and drop down onto the 7mm bolt and loosen it until you can remove it with the magnet. The plug is easier because of the angle. A nice wobble top extension helps though. I have never had to remove anything extra to change my plugs. I've ran NGK TR5 then TR6 then autolite 103 and now back to the NGK TR5 that I am most satisfied with for performance. The second plug from the back you just have to have a thin wall socket and a wobble top extension for the 7mm bolt and the plug is easy. Good Luck

Old 12-29-2001, 11:09 PM
I decided right away to take of as much stuff that was in the way as possible and it made the job go alot easier. It only took about 5 mins to remove most of the sensor, hoses etc. for each side and I was able to knock it out in a little over 2 hours the first time.

But it still wasn't a fun job.

Old 12-29-2001, 11:40 PM
Red face

Yo D
Am I going to have to come over and show you how it's done?

good thing I don't have the L around, my tail lights will be safe, LOL

Last edited by Don's Bolt; 12-29-2001 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-29-2001, 11:49 PM
NOSTROMO
I rather have gone through this plug change than replacing a cap rotor and wire set. Just thinkof it this way.....you have the finest ignition around. Going fast is always a pain in the as*

Old 12-30-2001, 04:26 AM
I feel your pain, I have changed mine a few times now. The 3rd one back on the drivers side is alot easier if you use a 7mm socket and a 1/4 drive breaker bar. That helps alot. The 4th one uses a 3in extention if I remember right!!

Hope this helps!!

Old 12-30-2001, 08:43 AM
Go to Sears and buy a 7mm socket with the swivel built onto it.

That will fit onder the fuel rail.

Old 12-30-2001, 09:45 AM
Rotate the coil packs back and forth before trying to pull them off. Should help get them off in one piece. FlashSVT did his yesterday in my driveway in about 1.5 hours (his first time). That man has Gumby arms.

Old 12-30-2001, 04:32 PM
more plug news

stopped with two plugs to go last night to go home with a severe headache and threw up for two hours (hope this does't happen everytime). Felt better this morning so went to do the last two. I got the third plug on the driver's side out , no problem. 4th one wasn't bad either....about 40 minutes. Here's the catch, i noticed that there was water down in the head surrounding the plug on both the 3rd and 4th plugs back on the driver's side. Plugs were rusty too. Blew out all the water before i took them out, luckily they weren't frozen in there. Any idea where the water was comming from??? No visuals of cracks in the head. No signs of anything leaking. Funny thing is the windshield washer sprayer is right above these two plugs....but it isn't leaking....hmmmmm. Also, no tips burnt off.....but my truck is stock so i didn't expect any. No plugs were falling out either. Gaps on the plugs were all over the place though, from .40-.50 between them.

By the way, i'm about 6-1 240, and arms and hands aren't very small......which didn't help the whole situation.

Old 12-30-2001, 04:35 PM
Tallimeca,

Have you ever iced down your truck at the track? This usually is the reason for water down in the plug holes. Or washed your motor off?

Quick Reply: spark plugs....urrghhh