Lightning

Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002 | 11:07 AM
|
From: G-ville (UF) - A Drinking Town with a Football Problem!
Bypass

Help. Can someone tell me what the heck JDM's boost bypass kit is designed to actually do? Does it elimate that "boost dump" wherein you loose boost for a second? If it doesn't do this, someone clue me in.

Bill

Old 01-08-2002 | 11:10 AM
Comtemplate this:

A few seconds of boost loss, vs
Boost Bypass

Eight domed dents in your hood from the pistons going through
the heads, or a swiss cheesed block.

You decide !!!!

Old 01-08-2002 | 11:12 AM
|
Ok, so boost dump is necessary........sorry........i didn't know......so still, what does the bypass kit do?

Old 01-08-2002 | 11:13 AM
That's scary!

But if you wanted that, couldn't you just disconnect the connector on the boost dump valve instead of spending money?

Old 01-08-2002 | 11:18 AM
|
Ok....see, the boost dump is fine - I don't care, it's there for a reason.......all I asked was what the kit JDM sells called a boost bypass kit is supposed to do.....I just wondered if it was related to boost dump....thats all

Bill

Old 01-08-2002 | 11:21 AM
Some people will say that they have never had any issues at all with disconnecting the boost bypass. It is my reccomendation that you leave it in place, esp when running higher boost levels, to protect the engine. Some here have severely damaged their engines as a result of running high boost levels and no release. Be careful.

Old 01-08-2002 | 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Master Of Pain
Comtemplate this:

A few seconds of boost loss, vs
Boost Bypass

Eight domed dents in your hood from the pistons going through
the heads, or a swiss cheesed block.

You decide !!!!
MOP this is not ment to bash you, I just have a differance of oppinions on this subject. I don't think there is any proof that the boost bipass is whats causing our engines to blow.

I have had the boost bipass on my truck since it was brand new. I put 26,000 miles on it since March, and over 80 1/4 mile passes, I have not had any problems.

I had to bring the truck into the dealer for a faulty EGR sensor so I removed it. I was to lazy to put it back on, when I went to the track the next weekend I disconected the connector like you all do. When I got back into the pits my SES Light was on. I was lucky someone with a scanner was there and read the over boost code and reset it for me.

I put it back on before I made my next run and haven't had any problems since.

So I cast my vote in favor of the boost bipass

Last edited by Don's Bolt; 01-08-2002 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-08-2002 | 11:33 AM
Bill,

If you install the kit it merely bypasses the vacuum line that runs to the boost dump solenoid. So, when you do a big nasty burnout and hit redline it won't dump the boost since the solenoid never "sees" what the boost level is.

Dan

Old 01-08-2002 | 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Master Of Pain
Some people will say that they have never had any issues at all with disconnecting the boost bypass. It is my reccomendation that you leave it in place, esp when running higher boost levels, to protect the engine. Some here have severely damaged their engines as a result of running high boost levels and no release. Be careful.
"Some here have severly damaged their engines as a result of running high boost levels and no release?"

Are you talking about unplugging the boost bypass or are you talking about the JDM boost bypass? And Who(around here Houston) has damaged their engine?

Last edited by jarmstro; 01-08-2002 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-08-2002 | 12:34 PM
Just my .02 here, I have been running my L for over 6 months now with the boost dump sel. unplugged and I have had no light and no engine problems at all. I have heard that if you unplug and plug it back in several times that it will cause an SES light to come on but like I said mine has been unplugged like forever!

Old 01-08-2002 | 12:37 PM
Like Struck in AZ said, the only real benefit to doing this is so you can do a burnout without interruption, at least that is what I have heard from several people.

Old 01-08-2002 | 12:56 PM
The whole boost dump doesn't apply to just burnouts. When I first got my JDM chip and a panel filter we went for our test drive. The truck shot off like a bullet then dumped the boost and we were released from the seats. Shut the truck off, restarted and it worked fine. Installed a boost bypass kit, many months later, a bunch of WOT runs and an extra 2lbs of boost, haven't had any problems and no more dumps.

Old 01-08-2002 | 01:02 PM
I'm with the Capt. I have never ever red lined while doing a burnout on F1's, I mean it would be a waste on good rubber. When the computer sees the tach reach a stock rev. limiter setting it will dump the boost even though your chip allows you to go to a new higher rpm. with the kit or the sol. unplugged the boost will not be dumped between 1 and 2 gear allowing you to run a better time.

Old 01-08-2002 | 01:54 PM
So if you don't have a chip, don't waste your time unplugging the valve, right?

Old 01-08-2002 | 01:58 PM
|
hey stuck: thanks for the explanation.

Quick Reply: Bypass