Lightning

FYI on Cobra R Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't know that.

I was always under the impression that is you could get more flow at each RPM level you would benefit, especially with additional boost.

I wonder why the tuners don't sell the regular version then?

Old 01-10-2002, 09:13 PM
Regardless of what pump you are using, flow can only happen when the Tstat allows it. In other words, when it is open. And when it IS open is when the pump (whichever one you have) is able to do it's thing. When it IS NOT open the pump "deadheads" against the non circulating water which is busy gathering heat from its intended targets. I would assume that this is the time of power loss due to the drag of the "deadheading". My question would be, how much resistance is caused by the Tstat when it is open???

Old 01-10-2002, 09:19 PM
Struck,

Hmm, Mr. I don't need any more horsepower, I need to concentrate on traction issues. tisk, tisk.

Old 01-10-2002, 09:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Peter,

Traction...schmaction! It's overrated!

Old 01-10-2002, 09:52 PM
Regardless of what pump you are using, flow can only happen when the Tstat allows it. In other words, when it is open. And when it IS open is when the pump (whichever one you have) is able to do it's thing. When it IS NOT open the pump "deadheads" against the non circulating water which is busy gathering heat from its intended targets. I would assume that this is the time of power loss due to the drag of the "deadheading".
I was referring to when the tstat was open. But I still appreciate your deadhead 101 lesson. =)

I was more concerned with the stock pump NOT being able to provide enough flow/pressue for when we add 4+ lbs of boost and shift 300+ RPMs higher than stock.

Old 01-10-2002, 10:36 PM
I believe the 'regular' cobra and the 'R' version use the same pump...a few weeks back I witnessed a teardown on a cobra engine - the pump that came off that motor did have the disc welded on it.

Just to confuse the issue even more, I happened to take that Cobra pump and compare it to a 2V Mustang GT pump...found both of those had identical impeller designs as well (disc and all)...

Old 01-10-2002, 10:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Now you all have me curious...I think I may take a trip to my local Ford dealer to check out the "regular" Cobra water pump. I'll let you guys know.

Dan

Old 01-10-2002, 11:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Hmm, based on Dr.Tritons comments, Ford may be starting to use a "one design fits all" deal for these. I have compared the stock
Lightning pump to other truck pumps and they are not the same. I have found that the regular 4V Cobra, 2V Mustang, and 4V Lincolns, all used the non disc pump. The Cobra R pump is the identical part to the other 4V pumps, except it had the disc welded to the impeller. Maybe Ford is cutting costs by using one pump for all applications now.

Old 01-10-2002, 11:48 PM
hmmm

now that would be real surprising huh? Ok, too much flow on an air/water cooling system will result in the coolant not having enough time to "cool" before returning to the engine and water jackets? Not enough circulation will result in the coolant staying in the engine too long which will lead to higher engine temperatures. I believe most everyone on this board who has made the pump/fan conversion has not had any major heat issues. Either crank & crome or H.P. T.V. had a nice little segment and demenstration on water pumps and coolant circulation a few weeks back.

Old 01-10-2002, 11:52 PM
now that would be real surprising huh? Ok, too much flow on an air/water cooling system will result in the coolant not having enough time to "cool" before returning to the engine and water jackets? Not enough circulation will result in the coolant staying in the engine too long which will lead to higher engine temperatures.
exactly . . .

Old 01-10-2002, 11:54 PM
Why not tack or braze a washer to the less expensive mustang pump.

Old 01-11-2002, 12:11 AM
Damn,

I thought I knew what retention meant....grin

Old 01-11-2002, 12:34 AM
Smile

typing to fast ,anyway ,i just bought a regular cobra water pump from my ford dealer and it does ave the disc on the impeller. cost was 60$ plus tax.

Old 01-12-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by LightningTuner
Hmm, based on Dr.Tritons comments, Ford may be starting to use a "one design fits all" deal for these. I have compared the stock
Lightning pump to other truck pumps and they are not the same. I have found that the regular 4V Cobra, 2V Mustang, and 4V Lincolns, all used the non disc pump. The Cobra R pump is the identical part to the other 4V pumps, except it had the disc welded to the impeller. Maybe Ford is cutting costs by using one pump for all applications now.
Sal, correct, the regular F150 pump does not have the disc on the impeller (I verified that as well). I believe the design with the disc is now common to Mustang 2V/4V (not sure about Lincoln).

Old 01-12-2002, 12:47 AM
Struck -

The Ford box I have has:
PW-402
YR3Z-8501-AB

Quick Reply: FYI on Cobra R Water Pump