Lightning

Front brake job - Slotted and drilled rotors & ceramix pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with hitman on this one, where can i get these? I'm sold, give me the payment method LOL
The stock brakes dont seem to stop a 4900lb truck as well as i'd like them to. My stock brakes feel kind of "squishy" also, would this help?

Old 01-14-2002, 11:08 PM
I hear Nindenso has a set of rotors for your Lightning. They are similar to the V-Max rotors. They break faster.

snicker

Old 01-14-2002, 11:08 PM
Exclamation

The correct way is to have the slots spinning out not in.The air is pulled thru the rotor from the inside and not the outside.You want the gases to spin off the rotor and not be pulled in.If the boxes that I shipped Master of pain were wrongly marked I am sorry.it was do to my hast in trying to get them shipped out before I went on vacation.
There are exceptions to this rule ie. brembo and baer do the opposite BUT their cooling vanes are how they do it instead.
To make one more point,you can go either way if you like the braking effect would not be noticable once you bed the pads in.The slots are there for removing or wiping the gases out of the friction area.Stan

Old 01-14-2002, 11:22 PM
That does make sense, I have had some rotors in the past that went the "oppsite way".

Old 01-14-2002, 11:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ruslow:
I talked with Mark today and he mentioned that you sent an email regarding the Open Road Racing event. I didn't get the email if you sent one to me...

Regarding the "brake" project, how did that one part turn out? I saw your post on NLOC but at that time, you hadn't gotten it back yet.

LIGHTNINROD:
I'm not in the photo - tell you're wife I'm not worth the digital image and avoid pix. BUT, there's a cool video I made of the evening and I'm in the last few frames. If you like dogs and music, it's worth the download. I don't have a link on my video page yet, but here's the direct one:
http://www.spikeengineering.com/quic...eamingBIHS.mov

It's about 13 mb but is over 4 minutes long (and you'll need quicktime)

Enjoy!

Spike

Old 01-14-2002, 11:38 PM
Where do you get this rotors (any website) ?!? Are they the same size as the stock ones? Also, did you replace the front and rears? And how much? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.

Robert

Old 01-15-2002, 12:21 AM
Where did you get the rotors? What is the company name? How much did they run you? Are rear rotor replacements available? Finally will they fit on an ordinary 2001 f150 5.4 sport? Sorry for all the questions but I really wants some.

Thanks,
Keoni

Old 01-15-2002, 12:23 AM
Can the Ceramix pads be used with the stock rotors...provided they are turned before installing the new pads. Other than lack of brake dust, what are the benefits of the ceramix pads, do they improve braking performance? do they help to prevent the rotors from warping under normal conditions?......I have one of the heaviest trucks....and any improvement in braking would be helpfull.

Old 01-15-2002, 12:25 AM
The rotors came from the poster named "Ruslow"

Post your e-Mail address, dude - you have business!!!

Old 01-15-2002, 08:33 AM
Thumbs up

The rotors will accept just about any pad on the market now.But you have to keep in mind the operating temps of the pads.The more aggesisve ones work best at higher temps so at lower ones you will have rotor wear.
As for work on other vehicles ie reg f150 they should.The ft rotors are specific to lightning only.
If there are any more questions e mail me
Ruslow@Yahoo.com Thanks Stan

Old 01-15-2002, 08:39 AM
Thumbs up

Spike: The brake project is definaitly a BIG improvement over stock.And the calipers are in the works now.Getting ready to finish the ft up and drive it.When I put the other rotors on there was NO fade in 8 80-0 stops.But the outside temps were cooler to about 50 degrees.Stan Will email the link to you.
For the rest of you you should try this its alot of fun.

http://www.bborr.com/

Old 01-15-2002, 01:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Ruslow
Spike: The brake project is definaitly a BIG improvement over stock.And the calipers are in the works now.Getting ready to finish the ft up and drive it.When I put the other rotors on there was NO fade in 8 80-0 stops...
Ruslow,
Holy cow! I wish I could have them prior to running Laguna Seca. Oh well, I'll have deal with fade at turn 4. What did you tell me once? Something about driving corners better because you don't have brakes...

Spike

Quick Reply: Front brake job - Slotted and drilled rotors & ceramix pads