Lightning

Huffin' and a Puffin'

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huffin' and a Puffin'

Hey Guys, my truck makes a huffy puffy noise under heavier throttle loads. Not in the boost, mind you, but once I get the throttle cracked a bit, and it really makes itself apparent during high load/high gear.

First, I thought it was an exhaust leak, but having laid under the truck while it's running and a friend is revving the engine, there's no noise coming from the headers or pipes. I went around with a wrench and re-tightened everything, even, there was nothing loose.

Second, I thought it might be the cone filter, but I stuck the stock airbox setup back on and it made the same noise.

So now I'm kind of stuck thinking it's just the large volume of air the engine's ingesting. The sound sounds like it's coming more from the top of the engine than the exhaust, anyway. Is it just the air suckin' through the MAF and throttle body? Do all you guys have that same sound?

Old 01-14-2002, 01:55 PM
I think it's the sound of the air rushing thru the filter--my best guess...........

Dan

Old 01-14-2002, 02:04 PM
I have been watching the forums for just a question like this. Mine does the exact same thing. It really does sound like some exhaust leak, but only when under a load or slow take-off. It doesn't really bother me, but the first thing I thought was a loose spark plug. I have listened to each individual one through a tube, no sound. I think it has to do with the length of the exhaust pipes and the proximity to the cab, along with the traditional Ford 5.4 triton funky sound from under the hood. I think it plays tricks on the ears.

Old 01-14-2002, 03:09 PM
I guess I am not alone at first I thought it was a exhaust leak to. But I dont think so. Hope somebody comes up with an answer. Bob.

Old 02-13-2002, 02:12 PM
Still no answer I hear the same thing!!

Quick Reply: Huffin' and a Puffin'