Lightning

ford racing gauges

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002 | 05:43 PM
|
Question ford racing gauges

i just bought 6 of these gauges.3 for my lightning and 3 for my mustang. i installed the 3 in the mustang and i wiil say it was not any fun. these gauges are all mechanical and it is very hard getting all the lines thru the dash-firewall.the three gauges are oil ,water,and boost. the oil and temp were the hardest because the temp has a huge fitting made onto the line which is hard to get thru the dah-firewall and i ran stainless braided hose for the oil. has anyone had any trouble getting these lines through the dash on a lightning, i noticed that there is only a small gap to get lines through the dash. maybe i should just wait and get the lunar gauges in electrical and only have a mechanical boost. has anyone done this with all mechanical gauges?

Old 01-20-2002 | 10:06 PM
|
Unhappy

this is what i was worried about,i think i will wait and go electrical,the mechanical is just to many lines and wires to go down the pillar and between the dash.

Old 01-20-2002 | 10:36 PM
99REDBOLT,
Itis possible to get the mechanical temp sensor and fitting to fit behind the dash. I know because I did it myself. Since I have the tripple pillar guage mount, it would only look good if the lines were hidden by threadding through the dash. So I was "forced" to find a way to make it fit. Just remove the rubber door strip mear the pillar post. Thread the lines through the hole between the dash and the pillar on the outboard side of the pillar. It is a tight fit, and I had to use a little "persuasion" to get them through. Once through, they slide easily behind the dash. Its just the initial part thats tight.

Caution, if you have 6' probe lines on your mechanical guages and a tripple guage pod, you will just barely have enough line if you put the water temp guage in the guage hole that is the furthest out on the pod. I would recommend 8' lines, to give some slack.
Hope this helps
GDG

Old 01-21-2002 | 10:40 AM
|
Thumbs up

thanks very much,this is exactly what i need to know before i go tearing it apart. also,will the 6' lines work on the oil and temp ifi use the two lower pod holes?
thanks

Old 01-21-2002 | 11:58 AM
I also installed the Ford Racing Gauges in a 3 pod, Volt, Fuel Pressure and Boost. The mechanical fuel press was the hardest. Must be why they are not recommended for in the cab? Then when it was all installed you could hear the ticking it the injectors echoing up through the stainless steel line. Now it’s disconnected waiting on a high-pressure isolator from Summit Racing they say it will do the trick.
I ran my lines through the big grommet that the boost line uses, plenty of room for more stuff,

Old 01-21-2002 | 01:53 PM
umm

I went with WATER,and BOOST preet easy job took 2 hours.....

Old 01-21-2002 | 02:18 PM
|
Thumbs up

i like the way the ford racing gauges look,especially with the green bulbs in them. i just hate having to run tose lines to make them work. there is not much room for thr stainless line to run behind the pillar and through the crack in the dash. i hate having a wod of lines going to them. i would prefer a small wod of wires instead. i wish they made electrical in frpp.

Old 01-21-2002 | 02:19 PM
Think about safety issues when running mechanical gauges inside your vehicle. Mechanincal gauges are great and can be more accurate but what happens when you bust a line or fitting and you have pressurized and/or hot stuff squirting all over the inside of your cab? Mechanical fuel gauges should never be in the cab of a street vehicle in my opinion.

God forbid you have a wreck and soak the inside of the car with fuel with an ignition source.

Am I the only one that wouldn't put these mechanical guages on the inside?

Old 01-21-2002 | 03:00 PM
Posting Rights Suspended
The only one I've got in the cab is the nitrous. I'm just hoping for a small leak.

Old 01-21-2002 | 03:09 PM
Wink

you better let me fill your nitrous bottles with the good stuff, that nitrous plus, smells like your college roommate, after he ate 3 dozen deviled eggs, and washed it down, with a 1/5th of wild turkey, or was that fightin' kock?

Quick Reply: ford racing gauges