Lightning

towed Mustang with L today and...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002 | 09:52 PM
|
Angry towed Mustang with L today and...

the L tows like *****. I've pulled this trailer with an 81 GMC shorty, a 92 Dodge longbed and a 95 Chevy ext short bed. I don't exactly know what the problem was but the trailer was whipping around all over the place. I don't know how this is the L's fault but it never happened in the other rigs. It got pretty violent a couple of times. I guess I should have bought a dually if I wanted a tow rig.

Old 01-21-2002 | 10:19 PM
I towed a few of our mustangs all summer. The L tows great. Sounds like the car was loaded back to far an the trailer.

Old 01-21-2002 | 10:31 PM
I tow a 6500 lb. boat with my L., no problema. Sure, it won't do it as well as a dually, but it does it competently. Your rig may be balanced badly, too much or too little tongue weight. You may need a load distributing hitch. I used active suspension http://www.activesuspension.com/ and I think it really helped. Took them off because they don't allow the rear end to squat, so truck doesn't hook as well under acceleration. If I did a lot of towing I would have left them on. Should you be interested I would be willing to part with them for a nominal price.

Old 01-21-2002 | 10:35 PM
It's all about load balancing. Towing this van unbalanced almost turned into a disaster when a semi passed me as I was towing it to Ohio to get work done on it last month. I mean that trailer was waggin' like a dog's tail. Very scarry. I immediately exited the freeway and pulled the van up about 10 inches to put more weight on the tongue. Wow ROCK SOLID. I was amazed at how much a difference it made. My problem is that I worried about tongue weight more that hanging too much weight over the rear axle.

The goof in the pic is not me

Pic of my L, ZR440 Sno Pro and my buds' two place trailer

Old 01-21-2002 | 11:03 PM
Dood, You had something Seriously wrong then.

I towed all summer long, my mustang, and my buddies 98 Formula from Chicago to ontario canada to Bowling green Kentucky and back to chicago. Many times exceeding 110.

The proper thing is Having the car set on the trailer right, And centered. If not its a Bitch

Old 01-21-2002 | 11:11 PM
I Have not towed anything with my lightning .. but i tow for a living allmost, and i promise you 1 thing its not your truck.. Weight distrubution wind Hitch height , but not the truck

New Blue 2002
no mods

Blown 93

Old 01-21-2002 | 11:37 PM
Not enough tongue weight. Been there, done that. Move the load forward until you get more weight on the back of the truck. I have towed my 21' Carrerra, and had absolutely no problems.

Old 01-22-2002 | 12:01 AM
uhm, yeah, what they said!

Old 01-22-2002 | 12:21 AM
If damon will let me i will be towing his lightning to WFC this year.
cant wait to get there and run my gator on the track. i hope to have a lot of my mods done by then as far as performance goes.

Old 01-22-2002 | 02:43 AM
Talking

I always use the weight distributing hitch. No problems.

I towed my tandem axle Carson car trailer empty through Ortega Hwy. in Calif. From the 5 fwy. to Elsinore. California people know the road ?? My favorite motorcycle road, along with Hwy 2, Big Bear & Glendora ridge road.

I was drifting the truck and trailer through the Ortega. It was real easy to catch up to the traffic in front of me. I think I need some Z rated tires for the trailer. LOL
-------------
Rick

Quick Reply: towed Mustang with L today and...