Lightning

Sad, really--saw a black '01 with cap in San Diego

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002 | 10:13 PM
|
Unhappy Sad, really--saw a black '01 with cap in San Diego

Driving Interstate 8 eastbound near College Ave, I saw a black '01 with a black CAMPER SHELL. I pulled up next to the guy and gave a wave anyway, and he didn't even acknowledge the greeting. He was in his fifties and looked like your stereotypical Southern California Corvette owner. He looked almost uncomfortable driving a Lightning. I'm, by no means, slamming vette owners, just the stereotypical SO CAL ones, and there's lots of them down here.

Old 01-23-2002 | 10:42 PM
That's not so bad - there's one in my area with swirly pinstriping all around the door handles, tailgate handle and around the bed.

Eeewwwww.......

(To each his own, I suppose...)

Old 01-23-2002 | 10:46 PM
there is one actually here in the Baltimore area, with a cap, and the guy actually uses it for work in construction. Oh well, maybe he doesn't even know what he has, or maybe he does but doesnt care. oh well

Old 01-23-2002 | 11:32 PM
|
One day, while heading through El Cajon on my way out to work, I saw a mustard yellow F-150 that looked kinda like a Lightning. Except that it had chrome front and rear bumpers. I pulled up next to it and saw that it was a Lightning but the guy had put the stock F-150 bumpers on it and painted it puke mustard yellow. Started chatting with him at the red light about his truck and later learned from a friend who knew him that he was the owner of a fairly large company out in Lakeside, CA(outside San Diego) called Anderson Drilling and all of his heavy equipment vehicles were painted puke mustard yellow and he had painted his Lightning to match. I didn't tell him so, but it didn't look all that good. I imagine it makes for a pretty fun work truck, though.

Old 01-23-2002 | 11:40 PM
Talking

you're all about to say "OUCH" when you hear the one in my area!

there's this kid here in Bergen Co. that seems to be patrolling RT 17... cause he pulled into one of our meets at Hooters and joined us for a little while checking everyone's trucks out....

apparently he does construction, and uses his truck as a work vehicle... to one of the meets he pulled up with a bunch of pipes and wooder boards sticking out out of the bed, I think Vinnie saw him carrying more wood as he posted in another post...

the truck is treated not as a HOT ROD but as a Work Horse...

he has all the rights to it nonetheless, I'm not trying to judge him here if thats what I'm comming accross as!

Old 01-23-2002 | 11:46 PM
Okay Dogman,

I read your post and agree with most everything you said about making the L'sugly with shells, etc.

The one thing that sticks me is, I am going to be 56 next year and resent the old guy comments. If you ever pull up next to me, I will gladly acknowledge you and wave and be friendly, but if there is open space ahead, the race is on. I been racing fords since I was 16. It keeps me young and competitive.
Not all "old guys" are asleep at the wheel, we just act that way to sandbag you and get a head start.

I do know what you are talking about though, saw a "old guy" driving a white '00 tried to wave or get his attention, to no avail. I guess some folks just own vehicles with no idea of what it is.

Take it easy man

Old 01-24-2002 | 12:12 AM
|
FIREGUY,

I'll be turning 38 this year. I'm not a young kid anymore. AND I have always respected my elders and I usually manage to receive the same respect in return. I meant no disrespect to those in their 50's. You nailed it when you said some folks just have no idea what they are driving. I think some people buy certain vehicles only to be seen in them, rather than to drive them. I find it a shame that a performance vehicle can come to have some schmuck as an owner. My point is that a lot of Corvettes meet just such a fate here in Southern California. And, even the occasional Lightning.

Old 01-24-2002 | 12:13 AM
There is a white 00 L here in the houston area with a camper on it with the back window removed so you could go back and fourth to the bed of the truck it looks like it is worked very hard all dirty and scratched up!!

Old 01-24-2002 | 12:14 AM
KGM
Smile Trucks Rule

Construction stuff is cool. My lid is usually down but the other day I see this nice new T/A pull out of a parking lot and give it some gas so I know he likes to play. I get up along side and pass him so he can see the ladder and walking plank hanging out the back of the bed. He comes up along side and I roll the window down and tell him I can wup him and still carry a ladder. He laughs and says he can carry 4 people, 1 more wow. All of a sudden he kicks it and I'm on it as fast as I can. Caught him and stayed right there till about 70mph. Bet he's still scratching his head and not telling anybody about what happened. Good fun.

Old 01-24-2002 | 07:23 AM
Angry

Whenever I see another Lightning owner I always wave. The younger guys are cool and give a thumbs up but the older crowd wont.

Old 01-24-2002 | 08:32 AM
Fire Guy, Ride on. I love it when a young guy pulls up next to me eggin me on. Its even better when my wife is with me. I say put on your seat belt. She says here we go again. Win or lose I wave to them all. When I go to see my younger neices and nephews. There friends ask are you the guy with the Lightning we here about. I say yes young man. HeHeHeHE. Bob.

Old 01-24-2002 | 09:15 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Smile

You guys are too sensitive.
A good pipe rack, if it's built right, can be very aerodynamic.

Old 01-24-2002 | 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Raoul
You guys are too sensitive.
A good pipe rack, if it's built right, can be very aerodynamic.
Or it can act as a roll cage in a sleeper lightning

jeff

Old 01-24-2002 | 09:30 AM
I also saw an old man with a camper shell on a new white one in the Houston area.

Old 01-24-2002 | 09:42 AM
Thumbs up

dogman:
I have a black 01 with a A.R.E. Z shell on the back, and i'm an old dude.
I love performance vehicles but i don't take it to the strip, i just like to have the power when i want it. Since i have limited funds my L has to multi-task, so i use it to haul, use it to go camping in, and i can also sleep in the back with a solid cover over me.
Last but not least i have had more compliments with the Z top on than before. It is a beautiful truck and if you pulled up next to me at a light or on a roll somewhere i guarantee you a hell of a run and a big surprise from the L with a shell on it.---Jim

Quick Reply: Sad, really--saw a black '01 with cap in San Diego