Lightning

Quaker State Oil??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 02:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by FireGuy
SJL,

It is a good idea to allow the engine to break in before using synthetic, unless it was factory standard. In those cases, the engine is pre-broken in at the factory, ie better tolerances. I plan on switching my '02 L to synthetic around the 5,000 mile mark. No science, just a guess as to when it would do the most good without wasting my money.
I went the same route as FireGuy. Took it easy the first few months, then got more aggressive after the Mobil 1. Fred.

Old 01-28-2002, 02:23 AM
I know this isn't a lightning, but my truck is a 94 f 150, 140 some odd thousand miles, got it a few months ago, havn't drove it more than 1 time, i don't know what was in it before but would it be ok to put Mobil 1 next time, i just got some Trop artic 10w 40 and new filter and an air filter, it has the 4.9 and i want it to LAST so i was thinking Mobil 1...???

Old 01-28-2002, 03:15 AM
If it doesn't leak, burn, or otherwise consume oil go for it. Remember this stuff is expensive$$$$

Old 01-28-2002, 07:06 AM
I did some investigation into motor oils, and found that there are only a few base stock types. The three basic types are

1: Your well-known dino oil.

2. Highly refined dino oil.

3. True Synthetic.

#2 is a whole lot better than #1, and #3 is marginally better than #2. Penzoil Pure Base is made from the highly refined dino oil, and isn't that much more expensive than your cheapo oil made from base stock #1.

There was a big deal about Castrol (Syn-tec?) claiming their product was synthetic when it was actually based on the #2 base-stock. I guess the outcome was that they were allowed to claim the oil as synthetic because it's properties were very close to those of a true synthetic. You'll pay about twice as much for the Castrol as you will the Penzoil Pure Base.

Old 01-28-2002, 08:09 PM
Just got done - took my time - 30mins ..
Just had to take caution and use the floor jack to get the L on the ramps. Didn't want to crack the front spoiler..

Put in Motorcraft filter & 6qts of Castrol 5w-30..

No noises so far..

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE..

Old 01-28-2002, 08:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by sjLightning
Just got done - took my time - 30mins ..
Just had to take caution and use the floor jack to get the L on the ramps. Didn't want to crack the front spoiler..

Put in Motorcraft filter & 6qts of Castrol 5w-30..

No noises so far..

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE..
It's good that you took your time, but to use a floor jack to put the Lightning on your ramps???? I bought a set of Rhino Ramps, thru Sears catalog. They are made of recycled plastic, rated for 9000lbs and wide enough for our tires.No Problem driving up them in my 01 and the best part is they are lightweight!

Quick Reply: Quaker State Oil??