Lightning

Weird noise... Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002 | 11:11 PM
|
Unhappy Weird noise... Please help!

Ok, I'll first list what is done to my truck... It is a '00 with a K&N panel filter, modified (by way of a dremel) inner fender intake hole, full Bassani exhaust, Black Magic electric fan, and a Nitrous Express kit (75 shot) with a purge, remote bottle opener, and heater. There is a strange (and VERY annoying) noise I am experiencing from the front of the truck. It makes a high pitched whining/vibrating noise somewhere in the engine compartment. It is not very audible inside the cab with the windows up, but it is fairly loud outside. The noise only seems to occur under about 20 MPH when braking. And it only seems to occur after the brakes have warmed up (after I've stopped more than about 8 times). Most of the time it seems to have disappeared after I am at a COMPLETE stop, but not always. I know it's not the brakes squeeling, but it kind of sounds similiar. Now, I should probably mention that the exhaust on my truck was taken from another Lightning that had been in a front end collision (yes, the other truck was mine, but I wasn't driving it at the time of the accident). And the same mechanic that installed the exhaust on the first truck, installed it on the second. He commented that the headers seemed to be more of a pain the second time and I immediately discovered that the heat sheild on the driver's side header was hitting the steering shaft under heavy engine loads. That was fixed after a couple of trips back to the same mechanic. I believe he bent the sheild slightly to clear the shaft, but he believed the motor mounts were to blame because he thought the motor seemed to be "twisting" more than it should. When I visited the local Ford dealer, they assured me my mounts were fine (but who knows if they were just trying to get out of repairing my truck and/or just didn't really know and were trying to get rid of me). One thing I might also want to mention is that I can not reproduce the noise by powerbraking the truck, only when it is moving. Do any of you have any idea what this could be caused by? It is really annoying and quite embarassing when I pull up to a stop light and my truck shreeks. It is obviously loud enough outside of the truck to arouse attention. I'm sorry for the long post and I'm sorry if it wasn't descriptive enough, but I'm desperate to solve this problem. My mechanic (who is VERY trustworthy and educated) doesn't have a clue. Is anyone else having this problem? Anyway, thanks in advance!

Old 01-30-2002 | 01:47 AM
Hey, just a WAG, but I feel you have a vacuum leak either in the brake booster or the vacuum canister. Those type of positional leaks are hard to find. It also could be a front bearing or tension pulley, including water pump, alternator, ac unit, or the belt guides.

A lot to check, but I'll bet it's one of those, based on your description. Good Luck.

Old 01-30-2002 | 09:36 AM
I've been rackin' my brain and can't come up with any reasonable explanation. I keep going back to thinking about the front end dropping slightly as you brake--what could come in contact with something else that wasn't supposed to be touching each other??? Is the fan touching the shroud under braking load? so far that's all I can come up with--good luck.

Dan

Old 01-30-2002 | 01:02 PM
|
Originally posted by FireGuy
It also could be a front bearing or tension pulley, including water pump, alternator, ac unit, or the belt guides.
I'm starting to think it's in the pulley system somewhere. From the day the truck was new, it has always had a slight vibration around 3k rpm and up that felt and sounded like it was coming from the pulleys, but it wasn't a big deal and it didn't appear to affect anything, so I pretty much ignored it. And just recently, after I got the truck back from having the intercooler recall performed, there has also been a clunking noise from the front of the motor that I found was coming from the crank pulley. The dealer is checking that out as we speak. Hopefully this is the source of my problem and they can kill two birds with one stone. If not, I guess checking the tensioner pulley, etc. will be my next option. The only thing that worries me is that this noise didn't seem to appear until after the exhaust was installed. It may still be a problem with the headers. Oh well... Thanks a bunch for the help guys. I really appreciate it. I just want to get this figured out so I'm not embarassed every time I pull up to a stoplight with someone and they stare at me because my truck is screaming at them. Thanks again.

Old 01-30-2002 | 08:28 PM
After my intercooler replacement mine has developed a high pitched whine(no the blower) seems to develope at about 1/4 throttlr and right at the line between boost and vacuum.My sound could be ametal on metal sound. I cant seem to get it to do it in the garage in park just driving? Any Ideas?

Old 01-30-2002 | 08:35 PM
HOLY CRAP!!!

Mine is ding the same thing BDAZSVT!!! Ever since the I/C...nevr did it before. I thought maybe it had to do with the colder weather because I/C was don in early November....no too cold. I've been putting up posts trying to pinpoint it, but i's driving me ape****!!! Like a whining/whistling noise. Can't figure it out. Does it at about 1/4 throttle between 20-40. Seems to increase with throttle apply/speed. If you ever find out what it is , let me know. I will do the same

Old 01-30-2002 | 09:00 PM
Whine? U mean BOOST? =)

actually my truck has a clattering sound sometimes on acceleration depending on how long i have driven it, and the weather outside. The dealer aparently is deaf because 'we cannot hear it' but its got me worried...

I was talkin to sal eariler and he said something about a FEAD noise (front engine accessory drive) noise (i was like FEAD HUH?)

anyways aparently he has even swapped belts on his several times as ford keeps coming out wiht new compounds. Makes me wonder if they know about the problem???

Anywas can we get a sound off of people having this problem with year/miles and what its doing?

Brandon
00 lightning
17700 miles

Quick Reply: Weird noise... Please help!