Lightning

What's easiest way to polish stock wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002 | 07:00 PM
|
Question What's easiest way to polish stock wheels

I've decided not to crome my wheels, to much time and money, so i'm wanting to know whats the easiest way to polish them.

i'm thinking, rotary tool and some sort of sanding bit, then a smooth bit with a polish abrasive

any other idea's ?

David

Old 02-03-2002 | 07:03 PM
you'll completely ruin them, they need to be done professionally!! I would highly recommend you NOT even try it yourself................ JR

Old 02-03-2002 | 07:14 PM
You have no idea what is involved.There is no way you can do this.The polishing wheels you need will cost over $1000.00 and then you will need someone to operate the equipment.I tried to remove the paint on my Viper wheels and nothing would touch it.Not even aircraft paint remover,they had to be bead blasted. Please listen and DO NOT TRY THIS.

Old 02-04-2002 | 12:53 AM
LISTEN to your previous responces and dont even attempt it. I had my 93 cobra wheels polished and the are almost the exact paint/ material as my lightning wheels and the guy that did them claimed 27 hours in polishing them. And i belive it. there is like a coat of clear then paint then there is this epoxy coating of some sort thats and absolute motherf*cker to get off. Do yourself a favor Chrome it !!!!!!!!!

Old 02-04-2002 | 07:24 AM
A few weeks ago, I looked into doing it myself too. Naively I figured what could be involved?- get some various polishing wheels, some different compounds and away you go. WRONG- lots of money for the right equipment (unless you want to save some $$ and spend about 4 hours per night for the next month and a half PER WHEEL). Even with the right equipment it's still very time consuming. I got a good understanding of why tire and machine shops charge so much for this type of service. In the end, I found a place that'll do it for about $225 CDN per wheel, which is about $550 US for the entire set. I would have spent twice that just getting all the right tools- not to mention the time.

Old 02-04-2002 | 08:26 AM
Rest In Peace
Probleminfected
In a week or to ill be getting my 20" Boyd-Coddington's then my chrome 99-00 stock wheels and tires will be for sale. I will post in the Classifieds when they are on sale anyone interested e-mail me at BadAzz516@aol.com
Vin

Old 02-04-2002 | 05:58 PM
Hey Redlightspecial where in Canada can you get them
done I live outside of Ottawa and want to get My 01 L
done and can't find anybody and what's the company name

Old 02-04-2002 | 07:04 PM
Please anybody can you help me!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-05-2002 | 06:35 AM
MASVT:

The name of the place is Wheelcovers Unlimited. They're located on Howard Avenue in Windsor. Sorry, but I don't have the phone number handy right here. I got to think there's somewhere closer though.

Ottawa? I spent a lot of time there in the late '80's, early '90's. I have a few buddies that went to Carleton and I used to come up and visit quite regularly. Beautiful city. Is Bagel, Bagel still there?

Old 02-05-2002 | 10:58 AM
Your wheels, hands, wallet, and mind will be your sig. if you try to polish them yourself. There are places around here that have wheels already chromed. All you do is take yours up there, with cash of course, and trade them out.

Old 02-05-2002 | 07:18 PM
Hey Redlightspecial well when you get the number
please e-mail me at svtlightning10@hotmail.com
or klallen@magma.ca I would love to get mine
done are they polished or are they chromed
I want to get mine done for spring,and a bunch of
my friends go to carleton

Quick Reply: What's easiest way to polish stock wheels