Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002 | 02:30 PM
|
Exclamation

Jorge,
http://www.socalsvtoa.com/event.html
http://www.socalsvtoa.com/files/MarchDrivingSchool.jpg
http://solo2.com/

Won't have wheels and tires in time for the Feb. event, and practice is closed already, anyway, but I would like to take the Solo1 school at Fontana in March. Better get my entry in now, huh?

Old 02-05-2002 | 02:55 PM
Suspended For Rules Violations
Originally posted by Spike Engineering
My opinion on stock brakes and tires? If that's all you have, so what. Go for it!
That's interesting Spike.... my stock front brakes lasted less than 10,000 mi. and this was just from daily, "normal" driving.... I can't believe that I could have ran them harder than any autocrosser.

When it's time to upgrade the rotors again, I'm definately going to have to contact Ruslow for his cross-drilled and slotted rotors. Very nice stuff!

Oh yeah, and 3 down, 2 to go!

Old 02-05-2002 | 02:57 PM
George, Did you join the So Cal chapter of SVTOA?? How much was it? I think you mentioned something like $10 right? Do you think they'll let me come watch you guys during the events?

p.s. 4 down, 1 more to go!!!! (That's 2 in a row!)

Old 02-05-2002 | 07:45 PM
These might be fun. 18" radials.

Old 02-05-2002 | 10:02 PM
Originally posted by BLackBoLT99
... my stock front brakes lasted less than 10,000 mi. and this was just from daily, "normal" driving...
It's probably because driving in Los Angeles is abnormal.

4 down, 1 to go.

Spike

Old 02-05-2002 | 11:56 PM
I raced all last season in novice Solo2 on my F1's... came in 2nd place.

F1's looked like my new Comp T/A R1's by the time I was done, but it was fun none the less.

Daniel

Old 02-06-2002 | 12:10 AM
Silver-Bolt, those tires look awesome, what's the pirce range on something like that?

Spike, true, very true!
Of course, I've been in L.A. almost all my life, so when I go to different states, their driving styles just seem damn strange!

Daniel, I've seen pictures of you racing, very sweet stuff! Looks like tons of fun. The more this subject comes up, the more I get interested in it!

p.s. That's 5!!! WOOOO HOOO! I'm done for this week! Also, George, you know you're going to like it so much, that you're going to need a panhard bar, and Brembo brakes, and the whole 9 yards.. Bust out that Credit Card, and get ready!!

-Marcus

Old 02-06-2002 | 09:50 AM
To buy them about $650/ea. Better source is your near ALMS (American LeMans) event. These were fronts off of an Audi R8. One heat cycle scuffs.

Old 02-06-2002 | 10:03 AM
hummm should I have Taco Bell or maybe Subway for lunch today?Well if I have Taco bell it is really fatting and that’s not good for my belly but if I go with Subway yes it's better than Taco Bell but not nearly as good as a Mexican pizza or a burrito supreme. hummmm well I think I'm going with Taco Bell but then again I do like the BMT from Subway.

BTW don't bother replying to this post I have already made my decision.

Old 02-06-2002 | 10:38 AM
Originally posted by PhillipSVT
Spike,
Do you race in certain classes or are the races open, and are they races or do you just get out and do as many laps as you want?
First and foremost, the track days I've posted don't allow and form of "racing." This is an important rule for safety and insurance. In fact, there are some organizers that will end your day if they find timing equipment. Although I haven't seen or heard it happen, most everyone wants their insurance to stay intact in case of a wreck.

With that said, they are organized private practice events with specific passing zones and an emphasis on high performance driving instruction. So far, every event I've been at has had instruction. The advanced group has more passing zones and the beginning group has very strict passing zones. In essence, it's a small group that rents a track to run hot laps.

One of the advantages of these events is that they give track virgins the opportunity to get experience. For example, my wife will be driving Laguna Seca next week (her first time on a road course). Because it's her first event, she'll be renting a forgiving car (probably a Dodge Neon).

The amount of laps depends on the course and the number of spots solds. On the average, you run anywhere from 2 hours to 3 hours plus you have the opportunity to ride with other drivers. Thus, your "in car" track time could be much longer. The events average $300 for the day so there is a HUGE bang for the buck.

Spike

Five!

Old 02-06-2002 | 05:54 PM
Don't bother replying to this thread, I have already made my decision.

My turn to reply just had to!!! Couldn't resist!!

Old 02-06-2002 | 07:43 PM
Don't try to talk me out of replying...I have already made my decision!!

BTW, what kind of gear do you need for these 'non-racing' events...Nomex driving suits, helmet, SCCA card, or what?

Johnny-come-lately...One now, 4 later.

Old 02-06-2002 | 08:47 PM
Originally posted by LOCOSVT
...BTW, what kind of gear do you need for these 'non-racing' events...Nomex driving suits, helmet, SCCA card, or what?
The same that would be required at a HP driving school that allows you to drive your own car. In short, tech inspection on car, approved helmet, driving suit, shoes, gloves optional, no rag tops unless it has an approved cage...

So far, every one I've been to is by invitation only and that hopefully weeds out the stupid drivers. In other words, if you're an idiot on the street, you won't be invited. There are some groups that I have been warned about not joining because they tend to be reckless. Since I'm there to have fun, it would ruin my day to have my daily driver wrecked by a careless fool.

For an example of one of the group's safety, I was phoned the night before the event asking if I was caravaning down with some of the other drivers. Since I was boarding a plane at the time and still several hours away from being able to leave, I was told that I had better drive down that evening. It was VERY possible (so I was informed) that I wouldn't be allowed to drive if they knew I didn't drive down the night before. It mattered to them that I was rested and alert for the event. I didn't have a problem with this because it's what I was planning and what I expected.

Spike

BTW, I don't know if the same would apply to AutoX. It's one thing to be alone on a coned course in a parking lot. It's another to be close to several other cars at high speeds on corners and braking zones.

Last edited by Spike Engineering; 02-06-2002 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2002 | 09:21 PM
|

Quick Reply: F1s for Solo2?