Lightning

Oil in the intake and detonation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002 | 09:37 AM
|
Question Oil in the intake and detonation?

Started tearing my motor down for my engine builder last night and what i found was not a pretty site. Everyone knows there is oil in the blower intake but there was oil on the supercharger rotars,all over the main intake and to a lesser extent in the upgraded 01 ic that has less than 1k on it. Everything else has close to 30k. This has got to lean out the air/fuel and probably played a hand in my toasted plug and head this past fall. Has anyone else had this much oil coated throughout there supercharger and engine intake? Has anybody that has an air breather in place tore there engine down yet to see how much they help in keeping this oil out?

Old 02-05-2002 | 10:42 AM
I became more and more concerned with this same problem. I went to a left cam cover filter along with an oil breather cap. This didn't seem to help as I still saw oil draining out of the throttle body into the boot.

One 'fix' is to install a check valve((McMaster-Carr p/n 7775 K52 for $9.97) inline with the PCV valve with no 'flow' permitted towards the PCV valve. But, there is a second PCV hose that goes to the lower manifold(I think?) so it might complicate the 'fix'.

The other 'fix' is to insert a 7/16th" ball bearing in the hose at the PCV elbow. No more unwanted oil forced into the intake area and then into the s/c and i/c.

To clean up the oil that had already made it's way into the s/c and the i/c, I disconnected the hose at the PCV elbow and inserted a 7/16th" vacuum hose into the 3/8s" PCV hose. Then I inserted the other end of the 2', 7/16 " hose into a pint of Sea Foam solvent/cleaner, started the eng., and let the intake vacuum suck(slowly) the cleaner into the area where the unwanted oil had been 'sprayed' all over those parts. No, I haven't taken them apart to see how much was removed/cleaned but it seems to me it would work.

Dan

Old 02-05-2002 | 10:44 AM
I could be wrong but I don't think that it would lean out your mixture. If anything adding oil would richen it right? I do think that adding the oil would lower the octane rating of the gas though, causing harmful detonation. Blocking off the tube from the drivers side didn't work getting rid of the oil in the t/b for me. I think that I'm going to put a catch can from the pcv from the passenger side. I believe thats where the oil is coming from.

Old 02-05-2002 | 11:22 AM
|
Wink

Lowering the octane rating is exactly what i was getting at when i said lean condition. I definitely agree that most of the unwanted oil is coming from the passenger side. I have three or four weeks to come up with something that works. Thanks for the input guys.

Old 02-05-2002 | 12:35 PM
ib:

The ball bearing 'works' but if you want to retain the PCV sytem then go with the poppit-check valve I listed above. The oil is being forced up and into the intake by the s/c pressurizing the crackcase and the oil is pushed(?)--sucked thru the PCV hose into the plenum.

Dan

Old 02-05-2002 | 12:47 PM
There has to be safe way to stop any oil from entering the intake?

Why would ford produce an engine that does this!?!?!

Lightinrod: do you have any pics of your ball bearing and check vavlve installed?

Old 02-05-2002 | 01:05 PM
|
Thumbs up

Dan, i will probably try the easy[ball bearing] fix after i get the motor back from the engine builder. Thanks greg

Old 02-05-2002 | 02:37 PM
RTkiller:

Sorry, no camera or computer know-how...........

You only need to do one or the other--not the ball-bearing and the valve.

Btw, I have the valve but I never installed it--I found out about the bearing 'fix' before trying the valve. The valve idea came from the LS1tech.com boards--the "high-pressure area". They swear by it and you can get one from the company I mentioned above--they had it to me the next day! The PCV still works with this vavle added in---with the bearing, it doesn't.

There is no oil in my intake area now.

Dan

Old 02-05-2002 | 03:10 PM
So lightninRod which mod would you recomend to try out.

Is the ball bearing method going to hurt anything? You just buy this bearing and install it in the tube and thats it? Seems strange enough to work.

do you have a website for that check valve?

Old 02-05-2002 | 05:00 PM
RT:

www.mcmaster.com for the valve(see p/n above)--if you install it, you must have the 'flow' arrow pointing towards the intake plenum.

If you go with the ball bearing you are disabeling the PCV--no flow in any direction. You must first 'vent' the crankcase with an oil cap breather filter(PSP sells one) and/or a cam cover breather filter on the left cover. Remove the tube/straw from its grommet in the cover and from the boot. Plug the hole in the boot.

Dan

Old 02-05-2002 | 05:06 PM
I belive that many tuners have the pvc disabled in the chip

Andy

Old 02-05-2002 | 05:19 PM
Re: RT:

Originally posted by LIGHTNINROD
www.mcmaster.com for the valve(see p/n above)--if you install it, you must have the 'flow' arrow pointing towards the intake plenum.

If you go with the ball bearing you are disabeling the PCV--no flow in any direction. You must first 'vent' the crankcase with an oil cap breather filter(PSP sells one) and/or a cam cover breather filter on the left cover. Remove the tube/straw from its grommet in the cover and from the boot. Plug the hole in the boot.

Dan
Sounds good to me, I'm going to try the ball bearing mod.

I have the metco breather kit already and thats pretty nice, but I did notice a small amount of oil still making its way up there so this is really pissing me off. Espeacially with a brand new blower and intercooler to get all oiled up.

Thanks LightninRod.

Old 02-05-2002 | 05:23 PM
Hi, LIGHTNINROD if we go with the ball bearing and breather cap, do you have to have a chip installed to compensate for vacum difference? and could you one more time provided you do not have to have a chip, go thru the complete ball bearing block ,procedure one more time/with breather cap? does bypassing the pvc valve do any harm?

Last edited by LightnigRod; 02-05-2002 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-05-2002 | 06:06 PM
Use an industrial filter unit, and mount it on the firewall. I have used them on Pan Evac systems, and they work perfect. No worry about re-tuning the chip. Just check and drain out the oil occasionally.

Old 02-05-2002 | 06:26 PM
Lightenrod-I tried that PVC valve part number at the site and they said it was not found. Can you provide a link to the exact page?

Jay Lincoln- Whatta got over in the corner there? Looks to me like a 65 AC Cobra? Am I correct? If so, kit or original. I had the priveledge to drive my buddies kit around after it got put together and it was bad a$$.

Quick Reply: Oil in the intake and detonation?