Lightning

Aluminum Drive Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002 | 05:06 PM
|
That's what i'm trying to figure out..

I just want to know the pros and cons of both.

And the part #'s if anyone has them.

Old 02-08-2002 | 05:39 PM
Part # - 1L3Z-4602-BA

I got mine about 5 months ago, I have had no problems but I have heard of them breaking. No disadvantages really beside strength loss I guess, and the advantages being less mass, faster revs, better gas mileage, that type of stuff.

Old 02-08-2002 | 08:40 PM
Blown00,

Here is another side, when you have a super strong steel shaft and really pound the torque to it and something gives, it is usually the third member that gives up.
Which is cheaper to fix and replace? If you have traction bars and a driveshaft loop, when all that power pops something, the driveshaft will probably give up first. At around $225 a pop, cheaper than rebuilding the differential. This is all IMHO, but I think that with the lighter shaft ford figured to make it the shear point in case of too much sudden torque.

Just something to ponder.

Old 02-09-2002 | 11:04 AM
Cool

I decided to go with the lighter "Racing Dora" model aluminum driveshaft, however, I suspect you will not encounter drive shaft problems if you stabilized the rear axle which is why I will get a set of Truk Traks before I go back to the strip. That plus the fact that since Go_rila is dropped aproximately 4 inches, the angle of the dangle is more severe than a stock truck.
Providing the alignment is correct, a larger diameter thin-wall aluminum driveshaft is not only 5 pounds lighter, but potentially stronger than a smaller diameter steel driveshaft. Frame builders in the cycling industry have been using this principle for a long time. I heard Dora had like had a 4" diameter tubing mountain bike or something. That's just what I heard.

Last edited by sixpipes; 02-09-2002 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-09-2002 | 12:24 PM
Cool Aluminum D/S

Less rotating mass weight means more efficient transfer of power through the drive train. Axle wrap and wheel hop, which is harmful to joints, can be put in check by traction bars. I have plenty of stock of both SVT aluminum D/S's($225.00) and Upper link traction bars($399.00). I have a thread here showing the upper links from LFP.
Mark/LFP
www.lightningforceperformance.com

Quick Reply: Aluminum Drive Shaft