Lightning

Alky/Water Injection

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002 | 08:37 PM
|
Alky/Water Injection

Has anyone tried this w/ an L? Pro's/Cons

Old 02-08-2002 | 09:22 PM
The other day I was cleaning my interior while drinking beer and listening to some tunes. Does that count as Alky injection?

Pros: You tend to enjoy the interior better.
Cons: You tend to just sit there and drink more beer listening to music after you cleaned the interior.
Hope this helps.

Old 02-08-2002 | 09:42 PM
I don't any experience on L's, but on 300Z's it makes a pretty big difference. We are able to run more boost on stock injectors, and get more torque, sooner. You can assume it'll pretty much react the same way on the L I'd suppose.

Some of the benifits would include:
1. You can run higher boost, higher timing advance or a combination of both. (Performance)
2. You clean the internals of your engine of all carbon deposits, filth, and sludge. (Drivability/response/efficiency). This aspect works exceptionally well.
3. Higher octane levels out of lower octane fuels (i.e.: 92 octane becomes roughly 95 while spraying water).

Some of the negitives:
1. You can burn out the water pump if you run outa water in the tank (depending on setup). We just hook it up the washer resevoir on the Z's ... not sure if the L has a "low washer fluid" light or not?
2. I suppose you could hydrolock your engine if your jets were too big, or you had it hooked up incorrectly.

That's all I can really think of.

Later,

Old 02-08-2002 | 09:54 PM
Remember that these motors tend to ping at part throttle tip-in and at the top end. TO cure the part throttle tip-in situation you would have to spray watter all the time and it would be unpractical to do. On turbo cars the only time you need cooling is on the top end of the RPM range.

Andy

Old 02-08-2002 | 10:15 PM
Originally posted by awhittle
On turbo cars the only time you need cooling is on the top end of the RPM range.
Good point Andy. We use a pressure switch set at 12psi basically. Surely there is a way to make it work on the L w/o wasting -too- much water.

Later,

Old 02-08-2002 | 11:07 PM
|
Thank you guys for the educated input.

Old 02-09-2002 | 01:39 AM
About a year ago, I talked with a couple GNX guys (Joe Tripodi?? was one of them) who make the kits and how they could be setup for the Lightnings. It's possible. Since then, I've exchanged a couple emails with BaBolt regarding the powertube and could it be tapped on the bottom for the injector (clean hidden setup). I also talked with Danny Swanson about two weeks ago whether or not it possible to get it to work (maybe).

It's possible but the gains are unknown. Unlike a turbo where the injection provides cooling, this setup would only be used to advance timing. Without testing, I think, at the best, you'd be able to run a program thats tuned for a higher octane although you'd would have a lower octane gas in the tank.

Would it be worth it? The only way to know is to test it since the kits aren't expensive.

Spike

Old 02-09-2002 | 02:54 AM
Smile

I bought the SMC kit wich is the one all the turbo buick guys run, I bought the kit on turbobuick.com on a group purchase.

After researching it a bit further I realized that the SMC kit might be a bit aggresive for my truck. I sold it to a friend who owns a Typhoon.

The SMC kit is meant to allow buick owners to up there boost level by 5 or 6 lbs (22 to 25lbs of boost) on pump gas. And I found out that if the pump turns on and you are not WOT the car will most likely fall on its face from to much fuel.

I think if I do put alky on the truck it will have to be a home made kit that is tailored to my needs. Something that will allow me to run a little leaner fuel mixture or a couple of degrees more timing without drowning the motor.
Dale

Old 02-09-2002 | 07:27 AM
Carroll mades some very sophisticated electronic water injection kits, with many failsafes. i have pumped hundreds of gallons of water thru my system without a glitch, on my other truck.

Old 02-09-2002 | 08:04 AM
If you talk to www.factrorypipe.com thy have spray nozzels that at expecting about 15-60 psi water. They will give a very fine, fan/mist of water. They are only about $5.00 and screw into a 1/8" pipe tap, the water connects with a 1/4" hose. several companys make an inline fuel pump to feed this setup. Adjustable Hobbs pressure switchs ( http://www.hobbs-corp.com/catswitch.html )could be used to moniter the boost and turn on the water at say 4psi and above. You could build the whole thing in an afternoon. Spike, go for it.

Andy

Old 02-09-2002 | 11:33 AM
Spike Engineering,

Used to Fly F 27 with RR Darts. Water Menth for Reserve Power. Seldom used (training/engine failure) It was very corrosive. Later Darts did away with this.

I 'd be interested in knowing what the GNX guys think about long term effects.

Jim

Old 02-09-2002 | 11:51 AM
Originally posted by reality1
...I 'd be interested in knowing what the GNX guys think about long term effects...
They didn't seem to care.

Andy:

You restated exactly what the GNX guys told me. The key to making it work is modifying the pump electronics and limiting the spray to a fine mist, which is far below what the GNX guys run. With that and a large tank after a battery relocation, the spray should last long enough for a track day.

spike

Quick Reply: Alky/Water Injection