Lightning

Moved threads

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002 | 04:00 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
I dunno. I just did a search on how many times I've bailed you out and it looks like you don't owe me nothin'.

Old 02-12-2002 | 05:01 PM
close this time.....

Ok, now I'm straightened out. When talking about other forums....i meant HD Fl50, supercrew....ect. Not all the general forums, but the ones specifically labeled for which model/trim of f150. That's where i was getting my stats, and why I said there is only like ten forums.......

I don't think much more is gonna come of this post, so I think Don is right about closing it. Maybe Doug can put up a poll like he did about the motors, as to what our suggestions are. Someone brought up having members contribute finance to the site. I'd be game for $5.00 or less to keep this site moving with all the features it offers. I'm sure many won't want to but even if you left it optional.....i still think there are a bunch of guys here that wouldn't bat an eye to help out. Everyone stop and think, how many times has information you got from this site saved you at least $5.00? Ok, Ok, put all the info about new mods aside.....That made you go spend money!!!!! But seriously.......

Old 02-12-2002 | 05:08 PM
F150online
Founder
tallimeca (and all),

The reasons contributions will not work (other than my ethical reasons) is because this site has far surpassed a trivial monthly cost that could be covered by personal contributions.

Our server "rent" now exceeds $1500 per month because of the bandwidth and memory required for this site (see thread in Site Announcements). Our next hardware jump would likely add $500 to $750 to that cost (most likely a dedicated server for the database) and there would still be no guarantee that the problem would be fixed.

That's a lot of donations...and a lot of donations to have to rely upon every month to "keep the lights on."

I think the best suggestion has been made a couple of times, do what we are asking instead of questioning how to not do it or complaining about why you shouldn't do it. While that may not fix the problem immediately, it would be a step in the right direction.

Old 02-12-2002 | 05:13 PM
"I think the best suggestion has been made a couple of times, do what we are asking instead of questioning how to not do it or complaining about why you shouldn't do it."

But at that point we have nothing to debate. And a internet forum without debates, and mindless drones gets boring

Old 02-12-2002 | 05:22 PM
F150online
Founder
No it doesn't.

Old 02-12-2002 | 06:41 PM
Smile It's YOUR Site, Your Rules

OK, I've read the whole 8 pages in one sitting and here is my .02. Steve, you pay the bills, I don't. It's your sand box, you make the rules and then it's my choice to play or not. PERIOD.

I remember as a kid, I didn't always like the rules, but I either lived by them, or I paid the price. And if the price also effected others, I either conformed to the rules, or I didn't get to play so that others did not have to pay for my choice.

Not popular thinking these days. and It will upset some, but after the no off topic policy is set and enforced, it will eventually become more the norm and will not cause near the distress.

Steve, do what you have to do to make this a great site and then let it speak for itself. If you lose some members, that's the price for YOUR choice to cotinue to have an awesome site.

Old 02-12-2002 | 07:42 PM
I noticed this thread when it was first opened and passed over it. The subject just didn't pique my interest. I just noticed the number of posts it has collected, and had to see what all the hub-bub was about.

First.... Steve and Doug, I have no problems with O/T threads being moved. Rules are rules after all. I have no idea how to fix the problem, as it seems to be a technical issue; but, some of the previously mentioned ideas sounded good to me while I was reading them. That they won't alleviate the problem is too bad.

Secondly.... The main reason I decided to post is to dispell the idea that the L owner somehow feels he's superior to the members of this site that are Lightning deficient. j/k I, and many other Lightning owners, have moved, not from other pickup trucks, but from sports cars and muscle cars. We bought this vehicle because it is the baddest pickup on the market and not because it was an F-150. To us the F-150 part of our trucks is secondary to the Lightning part of our vehicles. That..... is what makes us different from the other members of these boards. Not better, just alligned from a different perspective when it comes to our use of this site. The posts I make here are all either Lightning specific or have to do with getting to know the members of this site that share my interests. A little horseplay sometimes ensues.....but, when it get's out of hand, it is taken care of in a way that hasn't offended me in the least.

Thanks guys
Roger

PS: I don't think this thread was allowed to go on this long as an opportunity for the rest of the F-150 community of this board to point fingers and take self-riteous pot-shots at Lightning owners. Get over it people.

Last edited by Odin's Wrath; 02-12-2002 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-14-2002 | 12:13 AM
Smile I can' believe I am adding on, but. . .

I am not sure how I will be thought of after posting to this, but here goes.

I would like to start out by saying that being a new poster to this site, I wouldn't be posting to it if I didn't feel comfertable doing so. Great kudos goto the moderators, designers, and webmasters of this awsome site. (smooshing finished)

With that said, my 2 cents starts.

I am a HUGE newsgroup junkie. But my provider doesn't have any real good alt.lightening.cool.stuff. (unless your a ligtening survivor<G>) So my only other option was to scrounge the web. Alais, www.f150online.com. I lurk, I learn, and I ask (eventually)

Now the cool thing about the newsgroups (as I am sure some of you know) is that you went to one area to learn about one thing. You want to read about fords, got to alt.ford.vehicles
You want to learn about mustangs alt.ford.mustang

Needless to say whatever was in the group, stayed in the group OT or not.

What was also neat about this was I learned neat stuff I may have been interested in, or not. The group would feel alive. Members back each other. A "family".

F150online does feel like a family. But at the same time it has its own families, kind of like a family tree. The F is dad then he has families F100, F150, Flaresides, Extended, Crew, SuperCrew, 350, 250 (and any other new families) But like any other families we like to have family reunions, but the rest of the time we like to stay in our own "home".

I guess LONG story short, I on a personel level like to read in the group that intrests me. Lightening interests me (cause I want to learn more) so I go to Lightening. Hey look, cool I had that same radio question, or thats neat about the door locks. I never had to leave the group. OT stuff will ALLWAYS be around. That is also something that makes "family" wrestling questions, so what? Why can't there be OT. Is this STRICTLY for lightening, or 350, or 250. Why can't there be a relaxed feeling. <flame suit on> So what if you get some extra items mixed in on the search. Just look close, besides you may learn about more things then what you intended.

Would I snub or have I seen someone snubbed from another section, no.

But thats just my .02, .03, .06, .25cents

Double G

Old 02-14-2002 | 12:59 AM
Ok Here's the summary.... I dont recall (for example ) moving many if any radio threads to the audio forum or Chip threads to the Chip forum in the past. I have however moved some Non Lightning related stuff to the General Disc forum.

After going over the couple threads on the topic here and corresponding with Steve we have agreed that the extremely off-topic/general discussion oriented messages will still get moved.

Unfortunately this is not a science and therefore I cant/wont move every OT post. Both because I wont see them all and because in my perception it wasnt over the line... Where ever that line is...

In the past 1 or 2 OT posts on the front page typically wouldnt event raise an eyebrow, it was usually when there were a bunch of OT posts together - Or when one was so far OT that it demanded to be moved or deleted that we started looking closer at the rest of the posts and moved more of them. Because of the nature of the forum this type of reaction will likley continue.

So dont draw any dire conclusions because a post of yours gets moved or edited. If you have any questions as to why send me an email. If you dont agree with my response send an email to Steve...

It is my sincere hope that this discussion and the future attempts to keep the forums organized will strenghten the "F150Online family" that has been mentioned in some of these posts, and that the result is the resource more and more people are coming to rely on everyday will continue to grow and flourish.

Respectfully
Doug
Moderator and Lightning Enthusiast.

PS: As to the questions about the search, the database had a BAD night last night so I'm not sure we are any closer to resolving that issue.

Last edited by Silver_2000; 02-14-2002 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-14-2002 | 01:01 AM
OMG you killed kenny !!

Quick Reply: Moved threads