Lightning

Killed classified thread (Silver_2000)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002 | 08:57 AM
|
Killed classified thread (Silver_2000)

I was actually learning something from that thread. Didnt stop to think that they make changes to Ls destined for Canada. -and that if you purchased one from Canada, that modifications would have to me made.

Also, this is the L forum, right? Shouldnt we be able to discuss the details, so all can see, of a classified ad?

I had some questions, but they were answered by other people posting in the same thread. Those same questions would have taken multiple emails back and forth from the seller.

I realize that at a certain point, a "conversation" should be taken to email, but even those threads sometimes spur good information.

Jeff

BTW, to stay on topic, does anyone know exactly what changes are made to Canadian Ls? Are there any computer changes made for cooler temps, or different elevations?

Old 02-12-2002 | 09:21 AM
TruBlu02

The merits of the thread are completely overwhelmed by the posters decision to Ignore Steves direction. To be fair to the Advertisers and Supporting vendors who keep the lights on here we have to limit the use of the forums to sell parts.

I guess I should have followed Steve direction to the letter and deleted the thread.

If you have a specific question about Canadian trucks post a thread about that ....

Doug

Old 02-12-2002 | 09:28 AM
|
Is there a problem with a classified "forum" where this type of thing can be discussed?
Jeff

Old 02-12-2002 | 09:38 AM
F150online
Founder
Look at the menu to your left, there is a fully functional classifieds section of the site which has been here for more than four years. I would suggest using that, as any classifieds posted on the forums will be deleted. This is not a new rule and one I do not see changing in the near future. Since the classifieds work, they will not be moved to the forums.

Classifieds discussions and negotiations belong between a buyer and seller and do not belong in public message forums. They are private transactions, not public transactions. The content clutters up valuable (and on-topic) content and adds worthless information to search results.

In the extreme scenario (which happened several times which prompted the enforcement of the rule) a seller claimed a buyer quoted him certain pricing and terms, all the negotiation was in forum threads. Problems occured with the transactions but the threads were gone due to server problems. All hell broke loose and I was threatened with legal action, as usual. (while there was no legal ground for the threat, it was a threat nevertheless and threats can cost money to defend, money I do not have)

It is a good idea to keep any and all transactions between you and a buyer/seller well documented in email, not on message boards...just in case.

Last edited by webmaster; 02-12-2002 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-12-2002 | 09:47 AM
|
Ive seen it. I was still interested in a classifieds forum where people can discuss the parts with others than just the people that are selling. Otherwise, someone "me" would just come in here and ask others advise about the part... just to have to post deleted because it was a classified related post. I realize that in this case, the post was by the person "selling" the item...

My point is- Many times, it is good to ask someone *other* than the seller about a specific item. The seller is obviously going to lean in whatever direction allows them to sell their item. If a potential buyer goes to the forum most able to provide information about the item for sale, is their thread going to be deleted/closed?

BTW, I guess this thread could go to the Questions about the site forum at this point..

Thanks
Jeff

Old 02-12-2002 | 10:12 AM
F150online
Founder
Jeff,

There are thousands of messages on this forum about parts for our trucks. Nobody is going to delete a conversation where someone asks about a specific part, whether it is related to an item for sale in the classifieds or otherwise. Even if the starter of the thread qualifies his/her question with "I saw this part in the classifieds, what do you think?" that thread should be allowed to continue.
If a potential buyer goes to the forum most able to provide information about the item for sale, is their thread going to be deleted/closed?
No. If the thread degrades into a conversation between the buyer and seller, yes it will get deleted/closed because at that point it has become a classified negotiation (which may included pricing details, delivery dates, condition of the specific item, etc), not a general conversation about the part.

If that was not clear, I can try to take a deep breath and figure out exactly what I typed....

Old 02-12-2002 | 10:15 AM
|
Perfectly clear. thanks!

Jeff

Quick Reply: Killed classified thread (Silver_2000)