Lightning

PSP factory tech shift kit is in!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PSP factory tech shift kit is in!!!!

All I can say is holy **** !!!!

This thing shifts hard as hell - half throttle take off from 1st gear creates a loud chirp from the tires. I tried going WOT from any kind of roll below 20mph and my F1's would have none of that lol.

I did have few problems though I installed the kit friday night but was being rushed to get the truck off the alignment rack at work and could not remember if i seated the filter properly. So I pulled the pan off tonight to recheck my work and everything was fine. I also had a hell of a time getting the right amount of fluid back in her, I had driven the truck about 10miles 3qts low on fluid It would read on the dipstick but it took about 3 qts to get it up to the "hot mark" on the stick after I drove the damm thing with the fluid that low.

Everything seems to working just fine however. Does anybody now he proper procedure for checking the trans fluid "COLD" and "HOT"??????

I am gonna drive for a bit and maybe have the chip tuned down a bit as far as the shifts go. I am sort of sad in a way, the truck has every mod I wanted to do from the get go when i bought her in October. I am thinking "now what" I guess I will leave her alone for the time being.

Bob

Old 02-13-2002, 12:19 AM
You see, I wish people like you, Bob, would not post such ecstatic claims. Now I NEED to go buy one.. sheesh.. just jokin man, glad you like it. I'm jealous.
-Ian

Old 02-13-2002, 12:32 AM
The best procedure is to have the truck running at normal operating temperature. Put it in PARK and check the fluid while it's idling. I put the FT valve body in my F250 and love it.

Old 02-13-2002, 01:00 AM
Thanks Bob

I needed a good laugh!!!
Quote"I guess I will leave her alone for the time being". I have been trying to do that since day one to no avail. I thought I was done.Kept telling my girlfriend that after I get this mod that will be the last.She Knows me better then that.Now that JDM has a dyno at his shop,Here I go again.Already made my appointment for the 25th. The one (and possibly only) benefit to living in N.J..

Old 02-13-2002, 07:48 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmm

I think the correct procedure is to get it up to temp. and then(while on a 'level' surface) place the lever in each 'gear' position and leave it there for a couple of seconds, and then put it in 'park' and check the level--while the eng. is still running.

Dan

Old 02-13-2002, 08:53 AM
Location: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Ya beat me to the post!!

Installed the same kit last night as well as 4x4 pan and filter.

OH GAWD!!! major second gear bark-age (with a full tank of gas mind you)

Around town, the shifts are crisp and quick yet DO NOT knock the fillings out.

excellent piece!! A 'must have' IMHO.

Regarding fluid levels, I filled it with an approximate amount that was drained (six quarts) and added one additional quart of fluid.

To test for proper fill, I started the truck, let it idle for 30-45 seconds, then manually walked through the gears in this manner.

set parking brake
P to R let it sit for 30 sec, back to P
P to D "
P to 1 " , shift back to N, slight rev to idle
N to 2 " , shift back to N, slight rev to idle
N to D " , shift back to N, slight rev to idle
N to R " , shift back to N, slight rev to idle

Check fluid level, add as necessary (one quart in my case)

I drove approx 10 miles, easy at first and at low speed, shifting manually at first then found a large parking lot in order to drive in reverse a little.

Recheck fluid. add as necessary.

I'll check it again in a couple of days to be sure the fluid is ok.

OBTW, did you notice the amount of 'goop' the magnet caught?

My truck has only 6000 miles and the magnet looked like this.

Bob

Old 02-13-2002, 09:10 AM
I agree with Speedy that the shifts are much firmer and quicker but not neck breaking. A very quality piece and a must do mod for our trucks!

Matt

Old 02-13-2002, 10:04 AM
Speedy,

with 7000 miles on my second tranny I pulled it out and put the kit in, I looked for the magnet and could barely tell it was there with all the goop and crap I had on mine. I'm pretty sure thats a good sign of why my tranny went bad again! piece of crap ford rebuilds .

Now Its time for the factory tech monster box!

Old 02-13-2002, 10:29 AM
Great mod

Old 02-13-2002, 12:05 PM
Before we get off on flaming Ford for the tranny, in the real world brand new auto trannies have clutches and other surfaces that have never been in high speed contact. In the break in period, including maybe one or two (ha ha) WOT's, these pieces wear against each other to create a seated smooth surface. The excess material then settles to the bottom of the pan. That is the stuff you found.
I dare you to treat any other automatic transmission, from any other manufacturer in the world, the same way you did this one and not find one trace of wear. Get real.
Just my $.02 Food for thought.

Old 02-13-2002, 12:13 PM
NOSTROMO
That magnet looks normal to me...The typical Ka-Ka found on any other pan magnet during a tranny service.

Quick Reply: PSP factory tech shift kit is in!!!!