Lightning

Flowmaster ?? yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002 | 07:03 PM
2002blue,

No, you don't need an x-pipe with a single muffler. The exhaust pulses will get changed inside the muffler anyway. The only reason to consider one would be if you lose too much low end torque with the Flowmaster....

Old 02-14-2002 | 08:30 PM
ok i got it now.... so 400 series dual in dual out .. good choice? any one with experience

Old 02-14-2002 | 08:30 PM
Which won't happen.

You will GAIN low-end torque.

Old 02-14-2002 | 10:10 PM
Wrongday,

In general terms, I will agree. Other points to consider, if you gain torque with the flowmaster, then there must be an increase in restriction. If you look at an inside of a flowmaster, it is just a series of baffle plates, not uncommon for one of them to come loose, rattle, or just block the exhaust outlet.
Why do you think they are cheaper?
Just food for thought.

2002blue,
It sounds like your mind is already made up to get the Flowmaster. I don't think you should let anyone talk you out of what you think is best for you. However, if you aren't sure, I am offering a differing point of view, not biased yet because I just have the stock exhaust and my mind has yet to be made up before I change to something else. Other than the fact that the stockers are pretty quiet, they flow very well and maintain the proper backpressure for low end torque.

For what it's worth, my $.02

Old 02-15-2002 | 10:27 AM
FireGuy,

The chambered mufflers are the only ones that effectively deal with exhaust pulses. No engine produces steady streams of constant air pressure, like a flow bench does. It comes out in pulses. Knowing a thing or two about airflow dynamics helps me to understand why a flowmaster works. I'm not going to get into all that here, but the positive and negative pressure fronts are 'used' in a chambered muffler to change an initial flow restriction (good for torque and cylinder pressure balance) into an overall flow improvement (good for scavaging and hp).

But I do think that the sound is an aquired taste, and some vehicles do sound better with the other muffler brands.

It's just that I don't buy mufflers for the sound alone.

Flowbench numbers are really the only weapon that a company like Borla has. Well, that and that their mufflers are made of stainless. The flowbench numbers are meaningless. Here in AZ, the stainless part is pretty much worthless, too.

No flames. . .just trying to help.

Old 02-15-2002 | 10:30 AM
All I know is my MagnaFlow sounds kick-a$$

Old 02-15-2002 | 10:43 AM
Talking

You're right. They do sound good.

Old 02-15-2002 | 10:55 AM
WrondayJ,

You silver tongued devil, that is what I was trying to say, not so eloquently as you put it though.
The other point I was trying to make is similar as well, depending on how those chambers are designed, there can be a myriad of results. I.E. More/Less HP #'s, More/Less Torque, Louder/Quieter, More/Less durability.
All that aside, the way the exhaust sounds is an acquired taste for those who look for that kind of refinement. On the other hand, most young bucks living in rural/less sound law areas can run anything short of straight pipes and love it because it is so loud.

For me, in order of importance, to change the exhaust on my L, first there must be NO loss of torque or power, secondly it must sound like rumbling powerplant waiting to get out, only noticed by the cars around me, not the neighbors four blocks over, and lastly, it should look good from the bystanders.
It goes without saying, that if HP and Torque can be gained, a definite plus.

I just spent the day at my local speed muffler shop and fortunately for me, they were testing systems for an L.

Magnaflow, Flowmaster and Spin Tech. All three were installed and tested. The Red L owner and I agreed as to the best sound. He also tried driving around with acceleration and cruise noise.

Order of finish, best to last, Spin Tech, Magnaflow, Flowmaster.

No flames intended nor taken, just good open disussion. I thought that is what we do here.

Old 02-15-2002 | 11:08 AM
Thumbs up

Cool. . .I agree with you.

It's hard to determine someone's true intent based on a 40 word blurb on a message board, huh?

I try, but sometimes I guess I misunderstand as much as the people I'm talking to do.

Drop me an e-mail at: Jguy@talleyds.com

I want to ask you some questions about the installation and the sound tests you guys did.

Later,

Old 02-16-2002 | 03:11 AM
well i hav decided. I am going with dual mufflers...flows. I am having them put on tomorrow... with the two seperate mufflers do i need an x pipe.??? are ther eother alternatives to the x pipe or do i need to worry about it? Cant wait to hear how they sound. Ill let u all know

Old 02-17-2002 | 01:35 PM
2002blue,

If you separate the exhaust without some kind of balace pipe, you may not like how it sounds. At times it will sound like it has a miss and other times it will sound like two four bangers competing for sound space. If you separate the pipes an X pipe would be in order. Just my $.02 Hope I am not too late to help.

Old 02-17-2002 | 01:48 PM
hey do me a favore please post back with the results because i went that rout and wound up having the 2 individual flow's removed and and the dual in dual out magna flow installed my whole exhaust cost me close to a grand because i didnt listen and didnt want to wait the week it would have taken to get the magna flow,im serious when i tell you that i knew imediatly that these flowmasters were the wrong choice it was like there were 2 cylinders removed from the truck i sh#@ you not it was that bad so i am very curious to see how you make out

Old 02-17-2002 | 04:14 PM
i got them installed it they sound awsome!!!!!!! I ended up going with the 2 mufflers...40 series. They sound great!. Now what u r talking about the missing and that stuff.. u noticed that right away? Does this happen later on or is it all random.. cause right now it sounds great. I am very happy with the job they did. The muffler guy i go to is an artist! He did a great job.

P.S. what products do u guys use to clean you tips....i left the stock ones on... are there any good products to use for this?

Old 02-17-2002 | 05:21 PM
P.S. what products do u guys use to clean you tips....i left the stock ones on... are there any good products to use for this?
Use Ceramabryte (sp?) from Lowe's in the stove area. It will clean them up great....both inside and out.

--Joe

Old 02-17-2002 | 06:08 PM
cool thanks ill check that out... any other products

Quick Reply: Flowmaster ?? yes or no