Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 04:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
god i miss valdez, i need to go back

Old 02-15-2002, 04:24 AM
Rest In Peace
Location: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
I am also looking forward to summer. But my priorities have changed and I have decided to pump money into faster acceleration of my own education. 24 credit hours this semester, and another 15 this summer, I will be quite busy.

I may not be doing many mods, if any at all this summer, but I will be present at the track. Trust me, NCETRY, there will be good competition there this year. Fear the yellow car. It may change its color, but one thing will be the same, it will still be supercharged.

I am no engine expert, but the way you motor let go looks a lot like the type of engine failure I had with a truck from my past. It was a fast little four banger, but the low-oil sending unit wire broke during installation and I failed to replace it. Sure enough an oil consumption issue started. Then soon after, the engine went. It must have ran about a week with less than half the required oil before I noticed a knock. Then it was only a matter of time. Also, a friend of mine blew an engine due to low oil, exact same thing, rod out the side. It may not be what caused your motor to go, but its something worth looking into, imho.

Are they replacing it under warranty? I researched and $5400 is a bit too pricey for me to risk, I think I'll just have to make a hot rod out of an old '62 Studebaker GT Hawk.

The Pipeline Club does have excellent food. I had dinner there 3 and half years ago, after we finished a contract at a remote location. The only luxury we had was a roof and four walls around us, thats it for 2 weeks, no heat, water, nor lights. Best prime rib of my life.

Thats one of the good things about the oil industry up here. The oil guys are not afraid to spend serious dough on food, and do not settle for just anything. It too bad its a volatile industry (poor job security).

jrjen2,
I remember meeting a fellow with a red Lightning from Fairbanks shortly after I got mine. I beleive he traded it in last summer. From what I hear, he had quite a catastrophic accident while delivering the truck to Anchorage, after all the paperword was complete.

The first day the track is open this year I beleive is for the "KOOL 97.3 Classic Oldies" Cool Cruise to the track the weekend before memorial day weekend. Its great, big car show, and a trip to the track all in exchange for donating two cans of food. Went last year and got all the winter bigs out. Dont even need a helmet, or long sleeve shirt.

Take care,

Last edited by Tundra; 02-15-2002 at 04:26 AM.
Old 02-15-2002, 09:55 AM
I hope that education is worth all the money it sounds like you will be busy like hell. My engine problem was a rod let go at the wrist pin and from their on all hell broke loose. And ford is covering it under warenty but when I get the truck back I plan on putting something better in.

Old 02-15-2002, 10:17 AM
Was that the #4 rod(second one from the back) that broke?

Old 02-15-2002, 10:34 AM
If ford numbers their cylinders on the MOD engines the way they do the Clevlands and Windsors then it would be both the #4 and #8 both the back rods let go. The only reason the Ford tech and I could figure was a couple of rods were just not strong enough. Their was no signs of detonation on the pistons or plugs and the engine had plenty of oil and oil presure.

Old 02-15-2002, 12:17 PM
Tundra,
He sure did have quite a catastrophe when he drove it down to Anchorage to trade it in. He worked down on Ft. Wainwright and drove it down to trade it in for a F-150 Harley. In fact, his red L was still sitting in the back lot when I bought mine over Labor Day last year. The salesman at Cal's told me that he rolled a few of the tires off the rim becuase of "excessive speed." I have may have seen a few of you guys up around here last summer. A silver 2001... was that you Ak.Silver2K? I also saw another black 2001 with a spoiler like mine and it had a sticker on the door for a landscaping company. Anyway, I am the only current L owner this far north. I guess if someone moves in or buys an L in Fairbanks then I will have to lose what little claim to fame that I have (see my signature).

Jeremy Withrow
2001 Lightning
North Pole, Alaska
Farthest North SVT Lightning in the world
"Exploring the arctic at 140 MPH!"

Quick Reply: Blown motor pics