Lightning

gas gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2002 | 05:55 PM
|
gas gauge

Do all of the Lightnings gas gauges take for ever to show full after filling up just fille dmay tank and 10 min later still not showing full but i never shut the truck off while filling it
is this normal for theses truck is it really that slow
thanks
slick

Old 02-15-2002 | 06:04 PM
Re: gas gauge

Originally posted by SLICK0478
i never shut the truck off while filling it
there's your first problem slick...

can you read the signs at the gas station? you know, the one that says "please turn off vehicle before pumping gas".

i'm pretty sure it says the same thing in the owners manual.

Old 02-15-2002 | 06:44 PM
|
I never have before

I have never shut any car off when I fill it up and my old f150 just went right up to full as gas was going in so I am not concered about running the truck as opposed to the gauge is it supposed to be this way or is mine messed up

Old 02-15-2002 | 07:03 PM
KABOOM!!!!

Old 02-15-2002 | 07:51 PM
Over on the Ford diesel site, (my daily drive is a Ford Superduty), there was a discussion of how the fuel gauge works. The Superduty fuel gauge does exactly the same thing. If the F150 fuel gauge follows the same logic, (I do not know but would guess that it does), then what you are seeing is normal.

Old 02-15-2002 | 08:18 PM
If I remember right, our fuel system has some pressurization to it, if you run with the gas cap off, you have a chance your SES light might come on.

I have had my fuel gauge not go up from E 2 or 3 times when I got it filled, it came up a few minutes later...

Daniel

Old 02-15-2002 | 08:53 PM
Normal

Read the owners manual, it says something about this. Computer has to reset or you have to put in so many gallons for the comp. to recognise the change. Or something like that!

Old 02-15-2002 | 09:09 PM
its called a slosh module, so that the fuel when you have a half a tank or so, wont slosh around and make the needle move. On your older truck that the needle would move up while filling, you probably have also noticed when it got low in fuel it is hard to tell where the needle's supposed to be(especially if you drive it rough). So the slosh module is constantly taking an average of where the float is and adjusting the needle to the average.

Also, filling with the truck running wont cause a check engine light because the only time the evap monitor tests are run are under very strict conditions (above 45mph after so many minutes .........). So the evap tests cant ever actually run when you are at a stop.

Quick Reply: gas gauge