Lightning

how cool does the motor need to be to remove plugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2002 | 12:39 PM
|
Question how cool does the motor need to be to remove plugs

How Long does the motor have to cool before removing spark plug's ?? Thanks..

Old 02-16-2002 | 12:45 PM
Cold enough you can stand to have your hands that close to the exhaust manifolds ?

Doug

Old 02-16-2002 | 01:16 PM
After about a 15 minute drive I had to let it set for about 45minutes and it was still warm in places but no burns
I just did them last night and get ALL the tools they recomend in the help sections you will use all the extentions.

The worst part for me was getting the 7mm bolt back on the #5and#7 the #5 is a real pain.Also to remove the wire harnes from the coil packs just squeeze up on the bottom part of the connector back by where the wires go into it. The easy one to learn on is the first plug on the drivers side you can see what you are doing.

Also I ended up using duct tape to hold the extentions and sockets togeter so I could use the spark plug socket and not just a 5/8"deep socket That way when you pull on the extentions the plug socket does not stick to the plug and the extentions do not come apart. I also did the same thing to get the 7mm bolts back on just a bit of tape to hold them to the socket and you can wiggle them around alittle. I tried the long magnet but for me the tape deal worked best.

Good luck and have at least 3-4 hours to do it. It took me about 3 1/2. I think I could do it in about 3 next time. I have BIG hands so its hard as hell to squeeze into some of the back areas.

Old 02-16-2002 | 01:28 PM
socallightning

I did the same thing with the tape.... It saves a LOT of time especially with the 7mm bolts. I used masking tape... Tape the bolt to the 7mm socket and then get the bolt started and yank the socket off to remove the tape... I will admit a bolt or 2 had tape stuck under them when I finally got them in I didnt pull the tape off...

Doug

Quick Reply: how cool does the motor need to be to remove plugs