Lightning

Spark Plug Misfire test results

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002 | 08:39 PM
Thanks Master of Pain:

And mbrown--me too. I've already installed the BR7s and since they are also NGKs but 1 or 2 steps colder than the TR6s, I would think/hope that they would work as good as the TR6s????

Dan

Old 02-18-2002 | 08:51 PM
KGM
Say Bye Bye

Looks like my Splits are gonna split

Old 02-18-2002 | 09:22 PM
Two questions:

Were they all gapped the same gap?
Did the compression ratio increase with RPM, simulating boost?

Old 02-18-2002 | 09:23 PM
Ditto...

I just wanna second (or is that third) mbrown and lightninrod's comments. I was going to go with the NGK BR7 plugs here in the next couple of weeks. Would be interested to see those tested as well.

Old 02-18-2002 | 09:26 PM
Cool

Were all those plugs new? I guess all that misfiring is what made the Splitfire's run a consistant 1 and 1/2 MPH faster through the traps than the TR6's. I found the TR5's give me trap speeds about the same as the Split's.

P.S. KGM how long have you been running those Splitfires?

Last edited by LTNBOLT; 02-18-2002 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-18-2002 | 11:01 PM
KGM
At least 10K +/- with a chip only. Sometimes at idle I feel a very slight miss and just want to try something new. I'll post some pics of the Splits when I pull them.

Old 02-18-2002 | 11:34 PM
Cool

KGM,

I haven't ran a plug yet that didn't have that once it awhile sputter at idle. They all start out smoother but it doesn't take long before they idle with that sputter every now and then. I've ran everything but the Boush and Denso.

You might want to try the TR5 since you've been running the Split's. MRBBQMAN said the throttle response on the the Denso's was way off from the Split's. As many different plugs as I've tried, believe me, you will be sick if you put one in that doesn't have that snap that you are use to.

Old 02-18-2002 | 11:45 PM
KGM
Hate That Job

LTNBOLT...now they stay!

Old 02-19-2002 | 12:04 AM
Question

Chuck,
Myself and i am sure many others are wondering how can a TR5 be the right plug when it is rated to be a hotter plug when most of us are running many mods including 4#'s or more of boost? It does not make sense unless it really is not a true hotter plug! If you go to the Denso compatibility chart they show the TR5 and the IT20 as being compatible! I called NGK today and talked to there tech dept. and told them about all the guys that are now running the TR5 plug and really like it and his exact words are they are crazy and should be running a colder plug.I am just trying to fiqure out all this inconsistant heat ranges on these plugs and trust your input on this to help shed some light on this for me and everyone else that is wondering about the TR5! Any info from anyone would be appreciated!

Matt

Old 02-19-2002 | 12:27 AM
Cool

Matt,

IT16 on the Denso.
http://www.iridiumpower.com/findmypart.asp

Just scroll down until you see 2001 Lightning.

My TR5's run perfect but so did the Splitfires.

Here is the info on Denso heat ranges showing the IT16 is hotter.
http://www.iridiumpower.com/heatranges.htm

All I can tell you is about my stuff which is a 4# pulley and a chip tuned for my 90mm MAF. I can't say for larger pulleys or other chips. I have a cold weather program for winter gas (which became necessary because of the pulley) and a warm weather program.

Last edited by LTNBOLT; 02-19-2002 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-19-2002 | 12:53 AM
I am sure the TR5's run good in your truck just like everyone else is saying but if you go to the cross reference guide and compare NGK it shows a IT20(colder)matches up with a TR5(hotter) that is at least supposedly 2 heat ranges different. I wonder how accurate these plug heat ranges really are.If the TR5 is working out then maybe the IT16 might be the hotsetup for the Denso's?

Matt

Old 02-19-2002 | 12:56 AM
Cool

That's a good question. Looks like it's time for another dyno run.

Old 02-19-2002 | 01:06 AM
Cool

Matt,

Here is some more food for thought posted by Sal.

Chuck, that's not a typo. I've sold a lot of BR7s to people killing Densos. Mostly trucks over +4 psi, that's why I suggest the BR7s for that application. I have also killed Densos with the 150 shot of spray. They worked very well with the 100 shot, but the 150 shot killed a few. The Densos are AWESOME for curing misses, but they are still too hot for large nitrous shots and over +4 psi.
Now I bet your head is really screwed on sideways after reading that.

You won't know whether to get up or sit down.

Last edited by LTNBOLT; 02-19-2002 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-19-2002 | 01:28 AM
Question

Keep in mind the Denso it20 is the second hottest plug they make with heat ranges going from
DENSO heat ranges move up as they get colder; 16 would be our hottest Iridium Power plug, 34 would be our coldest (ranges; 16,20,22,24,27,31,34)
What I want to know is - What ELSE contributes to misses ? Coil Pack ? Chip ? Gap ?

I know gap can and assume that coil packs can ...

Doug

Old 02-19-2002 | 01:30 AM
~T

Wow,,, it just seems like there is no definate answer for any of our sparkpugs, oil types, oilfiters,,, or anything that should be an obvious winner to. What has this world come to. I guess these L's are relatively new, but what in the world happened to standardized tests, even with this graph we all stil have so many questions about which is better. I myself am very unfamiliar with the spark plugs on engines which run boost such as a blower or nos, so lets just say it confuses the crap out of me to read this,, and i'd like to consider myserlf a smart guy, ,,, so far i've heard definate thumbs up for at least four different types of spark plugs on this thread alone. Someone should do the tests and write their own manual like a chiltons on these trucks. i've actually even been very tempted to do this myself as i've been reading up a ton on these engines, yet still, there are so many ways to get the right setup that works for your very own truck. Is there even a chilton's manual for a Lighting,,?? hell,, even if there was there still woudn't be guildlines in it for running different chips or extra boost. Makes me wish i owned my own dyno ,,, maybe dyno in my garage next to my lawn mower will be next mod

~Toast

~Toast

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Misfire test results