Lightning

Oil in intake. Is it a real problem or just messy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002 | 10:43 AM
|
Question Oil in intake. Is it a real problem or just messy?

I've been searching multiple forums and still can't get a definite answer on this. I would appreciate any comment/opinion on this one...

Are there any indication that the oil sucked into the intake will actually cause any engine problems other than leaving a mess behind?

Old 02-19-2002 | 10:46 AM
The oil in the intake is a standard side-effect of the PCV. As long as it's not coking up, it's not a big deal, just annoying...

Old 02-19-2002 | 10:46 AM
I am pretty sure it can cause detonation....

Old 02-19-2002 | 11:59 AM
I don't have 'proof'

but I believe it does lean out the A/F mixture and therefore, can lead to detonation.

I chose to stop it by disabling the PCV valve. I then 'flushed' out the intake adaptor/plenum. intercooler, and s/c with a dose of Sea Foam solvent. I let the PCV valve to adaptor hose suck in the solvent while idling the eng. It should have taken the same 'path' as the unwanted oil and, hopefully have cleaned that area out. Something(boost?) is pressurizing the crankcase and forcing oil into the intake area. You must install an oil breather filter(at the oil filler capand/or the left cam cover) if you disable the PCV.

Dan

Old 02-19-2002 | 12:12 PM
...and you must also install a chip programmed for this mod if you don't want any lights, right?

Quick Reply: Oil in intake. Is it a real problem or just messy?