Lightning

Toulene as an octane booster

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002 | 12:43 PM
|
Toulene as an octane booster

Yes, I know it has been throughly discussed several times, but
now that I am interested the search is down.
Several of you have mentioned using toulene as an octane booster. Who has done so? What is the % to 93 octane ?
And most of all, does anyone know of any long term effects
on plugs, valves, pistons, or any enternal parts?
Only fear I have is dumping it into the tank and not drooling
it down the quarter panel destroying the paint.
Any info on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Marc

Old 02-19-2002 | 01:01 PM
I've used it numerous in my SS (I'm running 11.1 to 1 Compression)...it works great. I mix 3 gal 93 octane and 1 gal Toulene or Xylene (whatever I can find at the time), with no problems. I have autotap'd it during track runs and seen no harmful data.

You will probably notice some white residue on your plugs (almost like a Lean condition would cause)....but I've been told by the GN guys that this is normal.

As far as ruining your paint....I always keep a soapy sponge handy, when I'm pouring it into the tank.

Old 02-19-2002 | 01:04 PM
Do a Google search.
Everything you ever wanted to know and more

Mike

Old 02-19-2002 | 01:26 PM
Don't use it too much. Rubber doesn't like it.

Spike

Old 02-19-2002 | 01:37 PM
Ive been using it about a month now with no problems. I was getting detonation on the upper end in this cool weather. The Toluene stopped the detonation and the motor seems to run and idle smoother as well. Its worked great for me. I tried the Xylene, but it seems to run better on the Toluene,this could just be me, but it sure seems to run better with the Toluene. If you use the Xylene, I would put a couple oz's of marvel mystery oil in the tank.
Ive been putting one gallon of Toluene per half tank of gas, and its taken care of the pinging I had, so Ill just keep mixing it that way, unless I go to the track, then Ill mix it a little stronger.

Old 02-19-2002 | 04:50 PM
All I know is that it is similar to other solvents you can add to gas.

It has a diffrent Oxygen percentage (by weight) than pump gas.

It will effect the A/F ratio to some extent, but how much I don't know. The tuners should know about the use of Toluene when they are doing race programs on flip chips. . .perhaps they could shed some light on how they modify their programs to account for the Toluene or other Octane raising products.

Old 02-19-2002 | 05:43 PM
Marc:

According to two of our in-house chemical experts, zylene has a slightly higher oct. rating than toluene. CornerCarver and cablebandit both use it and 'love' it. cb even bought a 55 gal drum of it so he could use it all the time in his 2000 turboed Trans Am(11.2xx in the 1/4 last Sat.). Do use 1 or 2 oz. of Marvel Mystery oil with it to keep from washing the cylinder walls too much--it'a strong solvent.

I can't find any white coveralls so I have to use Torco Unleaded Accelerator. 16 ozs in 10 gals of 93 oct. give me a 97-100 oct. fuel for the strip. The over-the-counter stuff usually doesn't 'cut' it.

Dan

Old 02-19-2002 | 06:45 PM
Chemical experts? I thought Budweiser was a just a beer
I use the xylen most of the time ...probably 3 outta 5 tanks...so far no problems. Turbo buicks have been doing this for 15 years so its really no big deal

Old 02-19-2002 | 08:18 PM
I've used xylene a few times now with no problems. It will definitley get rid of any detonation you have. CornerCarver told me to use 1 oz of marvels to every gallon or xylene so thats what I've been doing.

Old 02-19-2002 | 09:22 PM
Just call me "Sherwin" LOL

If you use Xylene (catch the Dan?) make sure you add 1 oz. of Marvel's Mystery oil. If using Toluene the Marvel's isn't needed per everything I've read. Would it hurt to add the Marvel's to the Toluene, I very serioulsy doubt it. It's one of those"can't hurt, better to be safe than sorry" type things. To all you guys using this stuff: READ THE CAN!! Don't inhale this stuff or get it on you. It's got some baaaaad MO-JO in it.

"The Mix", as I like to call it, will be the ONLY thing I run in my little turbocharged SVO from now on!

Quick Reply: Toulene as an octane booster