Lightning

First ticket in the L

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002 | 09:05 AM
|
First ticket in the L

I had my cobra for over a year and never even got stopped. I got my L on the 13th of this month and got a ticket this morning. He clocked me going 6 miles over the speed limit, I am the only one he stopped even though it was a three lane road and there were 2 other cars going the same speed I was. He said he stopped me because I didn't have a front license plate (still have paper tags) and he wanted to ask me questions about the truck. He wanted to know how much HP/TQ it had, what it did the 1/4 mile in, 0-60.. all that... and he still gave me a ticket.... guess its time to bust out the radar detector again.

Old 02-21-2002 | 09:10 AM
Unhappy

I got popped doing 87 in a 40mph zone by a cop ...thought i was going to get the silver bracelet traetment...luckily it was a County Sheriff any my friend works for the Sheriff Dept. Had the "GET OUT OF JAIL FREE " sticker on the back window!!!!!!

Old 02-21-2002 | 10:55 AM
6mph over?!? jeez! Fight that one, it would be easy to get out of.

Daniel

Old 02-21-2002 | 11:15 AM
6MPH OVER!?! sounds like the damn cop was trying to fill his quota for the month!!! Or he thought you had coffee and donuts in the car...lol

Old 02-21-2002 | 11:20 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Talking

He must have left out the part about how the light turned green and he was 6 miles over the limit before he crossed the intersection.

Old 02-21-2002 | 11:34 AM
Hmmm.......sounds like he DPS is cracking down on Lightnings! I got pulled over last week by a DPS trooper asking all kinds of questions about the L then ticketed me for dark tint!!WTF? Another friend of mine got pulled over yesterday in his Lightning and ticketed for dark tint as well!! I think they just released a bunch of newbies on the street and they're playing with their new lights and sirens, not to mention getting their little ego trips!

Old 02-21-2002 | 02:27 PM
Angry DON'T just pay it...

Go to court, and be prepared !

This one is BS, plain & simple. Because this thing will outrun their cop cars, their not to fond of our trucks...
Anyway, I'd suggest strongly that you go to court, if for nothing other than to plead to a non moving violation (check with a traffic lawyer) to keep your insurance in check. Most states don't prohibit insurance companies from raising your rates for speeding (some have a 2 speeding ticket minimum), so for about 3 years, you'll be paying more insurance - how much depends on how your driving record looks.
I suggest - join the National motorists association, they'll help you find a lawyer or defend yourself in traffic court.

Remember, you're driving a vehicle that draws attention, so drive like it. Be aware of your surroundings, and the location of other vehicles.

Most drivers talk themselves INTO a ticket, so be aware of any subtle vibes you may be giving off.

IF you notice a cruiser pull out right after you pass them, don't make them chase you down, pull over immediately, if possible, & give them room to approach. Leave your belt on, if it's dark turn the interior light on, hands on the wheel. Unless it's cold or rainy, I usually put the window down too... License and registration right where they normally are...

They will approach & ask one of several of the stupidest questions you've ever heard - don't bite - be polite, but don't admit guilt either. Some advise you to really lay it on them with 'officer' & 'sir' or Deputy, trooper.... I never do that, I try to be a little more personal. Anyway, at some point you'll be asked for lic. reg. & possibly insurance - you can respond with something like 'sure their in my wallet, that's in my pocket, I didn't want to be making sudden movements trying to dig them out, I'll get them now'... While you're doing that,

**ASK FOR A WARNING ** What is the worst that can happen ??? they write you a ticket...

I usually try something like 'I'd really appreciate it if you'd consider a warning for this, I've got a clean record, won the Nobel peace price, pillar of my community, etc...' As long as you don't try to snow them, and you weren't driving very fast OR stupidly, it usually works.

HTH

Old 02-21-2002 | 02:39 PM
i got a ticket the first week i had my L for no front plate the trooper that pulled me over was cool really liked the truck,pulled me over right in front of the biggest cruise night in the area anyway he even told me to tell the jugde that the bracket was on backorder when i go to court sure enough dismissed,what i dont understand is why he gave me the ticket to begin with ?????guess he just wanted a closer look at the baddest truck on the road!!!!meaning all L's

Old 02-21-2002 | 05:25 PM
|
One thing I forgot to mention.. when he started to walk up on the truck I opened the door, he jumped back and asked me why I opened it.. then saw the sticker and said "Oh you just got your windows tinted"... so i think that contributed to him giving me the ticket. He told me that earlier that week he had to go through a semi-training course on the Lightning... he said that L's are involved in a lot of street racing and they wanted them to be aware of what they are dealing with and to not just look for the Mustangs and T/As

Old 02-21-2002 | 05:36 PM
No front tag when required, tint darker than maybe allowed by law. Seems to me, that some of our owners are begging for tickets

Old 02-21-2002 | 05:56 PM
I sure as heck would not want to go into court as a police officer with a defendant for a ticket 6 miles over the speed limit. Unless of course it was a school zone.

Old 02-21-2002 | 06:07 PM
They had a training course on the Lightning? Wow, I almost feel honored.

Daniel

Old 02-21-2002 | 06:10 PM
hey smurfslayer

get pulled over often?

you should write a book on how to get out of tickets

Old 02-21-2002 | 06:11 PM
What's to train about? You show 'em a couple of pics of the L, describe the critical differences, and tell them the trucks are as fast and capable as GTs, C05s, and Z28s.

Or did they actually put in some track time in the trucks to understand how great they perform?

Old 02-21-2002 | 06:15 PM
I know how you feel back when I had my Mustang GT I got poped for speeding when the other cars that were near me didn't get pulled over I was pulled over for the kind of car I was driving I wish I could afford a lighting but this regular XLT will have to do for now but some day I hope to get a Lighting so I can drive faster again.

Quick Reply: First ticket in the L