Lightning

Line Mod Valve Vs PSP Shift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002 | 10:38 AM
|
Line Mod Valve Versus PSP Valve Body/Shift Kit

I have a line mod valve in my transimssion and was warned by LightnigRod that it could cause transmission problems. I went to Power Surge Performance's site and read the feature about shift comparisons.

If what I read is true, I have concerns that I might grenade my transmission well before it expected lifespan.

For any of you guys that use the *PSP Factory Tech Performance Valve Body*, do you recommend it?

And, is this the same kit that is mentioned in the PSP shift comparisons article? In the article it's called *Factory Tech/PSP Accumulator Shift Kit*.

It's a $200 mod but if it'll save a transmission from going south it's got to be well worth it.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Chikenears; 02-21-2002 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-21-2002 | 11:18 AM
|
Anybody have any opinions?

Old 02-21-2002 | 12:02 PM
Wink

none of us, knows more than Factory Tech, when it comes to "his" trannys. maybe ask someone who markets the line valve mod, as to why it's as good as the valve body

Old 02-21-2002 | 12:53 PM
my .02, I have the PSP/Factory Tech Valve body, personally I love, it shifts just right. around town driving it shifts firm but nicely, WOT shifts lay rubber down. I have installed the line mod valve on a few customer's trucks and I never like the way they shift as much.

good luck,
hope this helps.

later,
chris

Old 02-21-2002 | 01:07 PM
|
superfords

Thanks for your views. Did the Factory Tech Valve Body come complete with everything needed for installation?

Old 02-21-2002 | 01:33 PM
I can only give you my experiance

I have had JDM's line mod in my truck for 15,000 miles. I just had my trans beefed up, when they pulled it apart it had no wear and looked perfect inside.

Old 02-21-2002 | 01:36 PM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Chikenears,

It is a complete replacement valve body and is doscile around town yet the shifts firm up in relation to right foot input.

No offense to line modders but I'd rather have a kit designed by the guy that build/rebuilds them for a living.

Quality piece.

Bob

Old 02-21-2002 | 01:47 PM
Thumbs up

I just put the PSP valve body in a friend of mine's '99 L last weekend and I gotta tell you. . .Factory_Tech knows what he's talking about. Installation was CAKE.

The kit was MORE than complete. He even gives you stuff that you 'might' need. The shifts were, in a word, perfect. Around town you will barely notice it. Firm shifts, but not gut-wrenching.

***STAND ON THE GAS and WHOA!!!!***

Instant crowd pleasing 2nd and third gear shifts. I still smile just thinking about my friend BLAZING 2nd gear the night we installed it.

I will be ordering the PSP valve body as soon as Uncle Sam sends me my performance upgrade money. . .er. . .Tax Return.

I have never tried any of the other products out there, so I can't speak to their quality or performance. But the PSP body is so damn good that I probably won't try anything else.

Later,

Old 02-21-2002 | 01:59 PM
Originally posted by WrongdayJ
I just put the PSP valve body in a friend of mine's '99 L last weekend and I gotta tell you. . .Factory_Tech knows what he's talking about. Installation was CAKE.

The kit was MORE than complete. He even gives you stuff that you 'might' need. The shifts were, in a word, perfect. Around town you will barely notice it. Firm shifts, but not gut-wrenching.

***STAND ON THE GAS and WHOA!!!!***

Instant crowd pleasing 2nd and third gear shifts. I still smile just thinking about my friend BLAZING 2nd gear the night we installed it.

the PSP body is so damn good that I probably won't try anything else.

Later,

Old 02-21-2002 | 03:25 PM
Re: superfords

Originally posted by Chikenears
Thanks for your views. Did the Factory Tech Valve Body come complete with everything needed for installation?
Tim,

Get the PSP Valve body, Trans Pan, & Filter. Simple installation and makes changing fluid easier with a drain plug. Around $250 for it all. I did it last week and love it!!

Old 02-21-2002 | 04:33 PM
if i do a trans mod ,from the artical i read on PSP web site = truth about tranmission mods,i would go with the psp mod verses any others.my concern is the longevity factor.and psp seems to address this.

Old 02-21-2002 | 04:44 PM
|
Thumbs up

The longevity factor is a concern of mine also. I guess I'll be chuncking out the line mod.

Take a look at this auction. I made a high bid of $70,000 on it an now I've already been outbid.

http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/...793994-4123614

Last edited by Chikenears; 02-21-2002 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-21-2002 | 05:23 PM
|
The Valve Body has been ordered. Thanks to all that helped.

Last edited by Chikenears; 02-21-2002 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2002 | 07:22 PM
I put JL's Diablo Line mod valve in just after I bought my truck and have 12,000 miles on it now with no problems at all. I am running the 7/16" not the 1/2".

Old 02-22-2002 | 01:29 AM
Gee, glad y'all like it so much.
But in all fairness, a line mod valve is okay, I think mine is better, I put more thought into "3 steps down the road" if you will. The line mod valve raises the pressure throughout the valve body, the body is calibrated for the lower pressure, so I changed the spring rates in the top of the shift circuit. When the '01s first came out, we found that some of them had an issue with side loading the 321 valve (the lower circuit), so I put better spings in the lower half and changed to a better valve that was less prone to side load. And finally, I added a shim to the 1-2 shift to firm it up some more, because some people asked for it, and it seems to work great.
I do think that all the things I've done reduce wear on the pump and work more "together" for a better kit, but for the most part the line mod valves offered by other tuners are fine if you're on a budget, I wouldn't worry about grenading a tranny per se, but I've done things that I think prevent problems down the raod that a line mod valve doesn't address, that's all.

Thanks,

G
(Factory Tech)

Quick Reply: Line Mod Valve Vs PSP Shift Kit